Send Topic Print
Gen Question (Read 328 times)
foxx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gen Question
09/03/13 at 06:48:50

if i got spark but not hot enough to fire what would cause that ?{ battery is charged to full.}

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Gen Question
Reply #1 - 09/03/13 at 07:28:53

bad coil, bad ig box, bad ground, bad air.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 09/03/13 at 07:43:02

If you have any spark at all, being delivered anytime near TDC,... AND,... there is an ignitable mixture in the combustion chamber, you'll at least get one cylinder-full to ignite.  Getting it to continue running is another story.

If you have spark, and there is no life at all, suspect a fuel problem.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/03/13 at 07:57:57

My father used to tell me that about 90% of problems were spark-related. However, that was before electronic ignition systems (much more reliable than points).

We could use some more information. Is this a bike that was running, and just now quit? Or is it a barn queen being resurrected from from the dead? Is the "battery charged to full" a new battery, or several years old? For that matter, the original poster didn't even say what sort of bike it is (although from the posting on this forum we assume it to be an LS650).

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/03/13 at 08:07:02

Charon wrote on 09/03/13 at 07:57:57:
... 90% of problems were spark-related....

True, but he said he does have a spark.  If the spark is weak or not timed properly, then getting the thing to continue to run is another story,... but,... if there is any kind of ignitable mixture in the cylinder, the weakest of sparks will cook it off.

p.s. -- when I used to work in a cube farm, my screensaver said eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/03/13 at 08:18:13

eschew obfuscation.

I wish people wouldjust say whatever theymean,

Id try a good brake cleaner or ether spray in the intake, If it will run on that, youve got a fuel issue.
Then Id slap a newplug in, thay can get weird

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/03/13 at 08:54:03

Agreed - he said he has a spark. But a spark across a plug lying on the head isn't necessarily the same thing as a spark across that same plug installed in the engine under compression pressure. If he removed the plug and laid it on the engine to test the spark, then the starter isn't working as hard to turn the engine (no compression with the open plug hole); isn't loading the battery as much; and the battery voltage might stay high enough to fire the spark. Just a thought.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
foxx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/03/13 at 11:05:27

sorry it is an ls 650 1987 , had the carbs cleaned early this year . was running about 65  down the freeway and just quit. I did pull  the plug and ground it to the head to see spark. I  changed the petcock after it quit thinking it was bad. i pulled the carb and in doing so saw some dirt in the boot after the filter so that is bad, but it should fire on the ether id think.  i'll pull the carb again and take apart . Thanks for kicking it around.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 09/03/13 at 14:41:24

Have you tried another plug?

I've had plugs before that would fire perfectly when out grounded to the engine but wouldn't hit a lick when installed.  Changed plug and everything was fine again.  Not saying that's what's happening...just something to think about.  Plugs are cheap and pretty quick to change.  And, if it doesn't fix it, you'll have a spare for when you do need it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 09/03/13 at 16:10:30

foxx wrote on 09/03/13 at 11:05:27:
sorry it is an ls 650 1987 , had the carbs cleaned early this year . was running about 65  down the freeway and just quit. I did pull  the plug and ground it to the head to see spark. I  changed the petcock after it quit thinking it was bad. i pulled the carb and in doing so saw some dirt in the boot after the filter so that is bad, but it should fire on the ether id think.  i'll pull the carb again and take apart . Thanks for kicking it around.

When you say, "was running about 65 down the freeway and just quit." do you mean it started running rough, slowed down, then konked out?

or

Do you mean it was running fine then acted like the kill switch was moved to "don't run anymore."

IP Logged
Night Train
YaBB Newbies

Back in the Seat
Again!

Enola PA
Reply #10 - 09/05/13 at 16:29:33

Quote:
or

Do you mean it was running fine then acted like the kill switch was moved to "don't run anymore."

"That's the voice of experience!
I spent the better part of a weekend trying to learn how a bike goes from running prime to dead as a rock when no one touched it. They say "Start with the simple stuff first". I tend to complicate simple.

IP Logged
foxx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/08/13 at 04:18:24

it quit like it was out of gas. after i pushed off the freeway it did start for a short but then died. carb is cleaned again but no change in getting it started. I'm going to take the ignitor to the mechanic and have it tested. book said the average jo dont have the equipment to check it. no hair left on my head to scratch.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/08/13 at 04:57:01

PLugs are cheap

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/08/13 at 14:20:21

foxx wrote on 09/08/13 at 04:18:24:
it quit like it was out of gas. after i pushed off the freeway it did start for a short but then died. carb is cleaned again but no change in getting it started. I'm going to take the ignitor to the mechanic and have it tested. book said the average jo dont have the equipment to check it. no hair left on my head to scratch.

Don't waste your money.  If it has any spark at all, the igniter is okay.

You said it quit like it was out of gas.  I infer from that you mean it started losing power, then stuttered on and off for a bit, then just stopped making any power at all,.. so you coasted to a stop.

If it were the igniter, it would have acted like you flipped the kill switch.  If the igniter had failed, it would have gone from running fine to absolutely dead in a tenth of a second.

You have a fuel problem.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #14 - 09/08/13 at 14:42:30

Quit like it was out of gas? Does your bike still have the stock petcock?

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:32:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gen Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.