babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Hog Damage
09/03/13 at 05:13:29

Not the Harley hog kind... the real wild hog kind.

My corn field.... just over 48 hours... demolished....    :'(

Got several hundred pictures of the basterds.  As many as 6 in some photos.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Hog Damage
Reply #1 - 09/03/13 at 05:39:37

Don't you own a gun? There is meat there for a couple of families! Got to be a small town butcher somewhere near you that will cut it up for free if you give him some of the meat.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/03/13 at 05:49:05

If you aren't up to shooting them yourself, get a couple locals to stake out the field with their deer guns. Simple problem, simple solution. Wild hogs are vermin, check the hunting regs, TN has declared them a nuisance species with eradication orders on them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/03/13 at 06:23:38

Not a single qualm here about shooting the boogers.  I planted the corn for the deer, not these scoundrels.  

This is at my "camp" which we primarily use on weekends, especially during hunting season.  Its about 60 miles from my home.  I have several trail cameras out, so I know where they are travelling now.  Didn't know it until this weekend though, while I was there doing some work to the place.  A set of three of them came within 20 yards of the back of the house, but I had taken my rifle back home.  (didn't know there was a little 410 in the closet)  Went home Sunday and back there yesterday, set out to shoot a few of them, but couldn't find them.  They are fair game to kill here too... anytime, by any means.  Vermin as WD said.  And bacon and ham are 2 of my favorite meats!   Wink    Hope to go back this evening after work....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 09/03/13 at 08:57:32

That's insane damage in one night. Yep vermin here as well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/03/13 at 11:59:49

Weeee, weeeee, weeee.....BOOM!................... Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/03/13 at 12:20:06

Huey, Duey and Dead.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 09/03/13 at 12:21:26

Good one Dave!   Grin

Here's another pic, from above, for another perspective.  This is a deep power-line right-o-way that cuts through the middle of our property.  The "red" trees were sprayed by the power company earlier this year.  This is taken from a knoll above the corn plot, with a stream running left to right immediately below me. There's another small stream just behind the row of trees just beyond the corn, and snakes its way around through there.  The camera that took the pics above is on a tree in the bottom right corner of this shot.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 09/03/13 at 14:19:03

.223 or a .22-250, .22 Swift, etc will drop them in their tracks. I've taken them in south MS with a 35# longbow or even a plain old .22 long rifle. I carry a .45 cap and ball Ruger revolver loaded with 50gr equivalent of FFFg specification 777 black powder substitute if I'm in the back 15-20 acres. Or a 4" barrel S&W N frame .44 Special with 246gr lead flat point or copper flat point ammo.  Either is more than sufficient.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 09/03/13 at 14:50:40

Not a a issue out here in the northwest.  Are they pretty common in that neck of the woods?  Are they good eating or too tough? Out here in this politically correct, sissy part of the world, people would be lining the street taking photos and if you shot one you would be all over the front page of the newspaper and the lead story on the nightly news.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 09/03/13 at 16:47:09

stinger wrote on 09/03/13 at 14:50:40:
Not a a issue out here in the northwest.  Are they pretty common in that neck of the woods?  Are they good eating or too tough? Out here in this politically correct, sissy part of the world, people would be lining the street taking photos and if you shot one you would be all over the front page of the newspaper and the lead story on the nightly news.

Good eating and tenderness depends on their diet, climate and terrain. South MS swamp pigs are inedible unless you are truly desperate. They make good gator bait though... if you are lucky enough to draw a harvest permit. Didn't bother this year, even though there are huge bull gators at our vacation place in Bay St Louis MS. 2 record gators caught out of the MS River this past weekend.

Common? Depends on your locale, hogs are a plague/scourge in central and eastern TN, fairly rare in my section (30-40 miles north of Memphis).

I'm originally from the Tacoma WA area. You want to see the city sissies there go bonkers? I'm allowed 3 does per day, in three different seasons. And one phone call to the Fish and Game folks lets me hunt year round, no bag limits, since I live on a working farm with its own pecan/walnut nurseries. Heck I don't even need a duck stamp...  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 09/03/13 at 17:57:55

"I planted the corn for the deer, not these scoundrels."  
I put out seeds for the birds, now I feed the squirrels and raccoons. Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 09/03/13 at 18:59:31

stinger wrote on 09/03/13 at 14:50:40:

I've had trail cams on that property for 7-8 years. The only other pig pics I have gotten was in Oct 2011 and only one occurrence.  But after a little research, I discovered there is a property within 30-40 miles of mine that offers hog hunts.  Escapees from there?  Maybe. I really don't know.  And I don't know how they taste any more than what I've read online.  Will let you know if I get to find out personally.  
Side note, I've also gotten coyote pics this year and never gotten them before, but I know they've always been around.

WD, the rifle I use is a Savage 223, so I feel comfortable that I can take some out with it.  Gators luckily aren't a problem here lol.  But I'd love to taste some.

IP Logged
Ralph_86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Romans 10:9

Fayette Co., WV
Reply #13 - 09/04/13 at 06:44:43

Babyhog, there is a place in Milton (a slaughterhouse ) that will fix these right up for ya.  They will even smoke the meat for ya, if you like, for just a few cents extra a pound.  My buddy who lives near me in Fayette County just started raising pigs for meat and has been taking his down there.  He brought out some fresh smoked bacon and sausage a few nights ago and we had a huge breakfast for supper.  I'd never had fresh bacon and I gotta say...It was the best I've had.  
I hear wild hogs taste a little different, but the guys I know that have ate them, said they prefer them over the norm.

1986 4spd Savage
Approx. 6,000 Miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/04/13 at 07:14:40

Im tired of seeing damage By the hogs. I wanna see some damage to the hogs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:22:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hog Damage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.