Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cutting exhaust for drag pipe (Read 185 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cutting exhaust for drag pipe
09/02/13 at 15:04:08

Ok so I've got this BCB drag pipe here,

looking at how it fits, the drag pipe goes right up over the header sealing on the widest part.

Therefore, I'm tempted to cut all the tapered part off of the header off ensuring maximum diameter flow through that part.

do you guys do that?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: cutting exhaust for drag pipe
Reply #1 - 09/02/13 at 15:31:23

I wouldn't cut it.  The header pipe is a double or triple wall pipe.  If you cut it above the end where they all converge, the inside pipe might rattle around inside the outside pipe.

You won't gain much by cutting it off.  Remember, these big singles need some backpressure to be able to make mid-range torque.

Also, once you cut that header pipe, you can't go back to a stock (yuk!) or other 1-3/4 inch mufflers.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/02/13 at 15:32:58

+1... Don't...
Not only will you not gain much,.. you will lose power...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/02/13 at 18:04:57

ok I wont cut it,

it just seems to me like back pressure by the baffles just past the connection is going to cause gases to get caught up between the header and drag pipe creating some weird flow dynamics..

was tempted to cut it right back and weld the drag pipe on so it's a relatively equal diameter all the way through.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/02/13 at 18:08:57

You need the torque cone effect or you'll kill what little throttle response it is going to have prior to sorting out the jetting.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/03/13 at 04:52:44

Even if you did cut it (don't).....you still have that same small diameter pipe all the way up to the cylinder.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/03/13 at 07:09:18

It's unfortunate we have no way to distinguish between "back pressure" and "reflected pulses" in these discussions.

"Back Pressure" is caused by restriction to flow. It increases with flow volume or speed. It causes pumping loss in the engine, which reduces power and efficiency. Back pressure is not a good thing, and is not necessary for any engine I know of. The best way to eliminate back pressure is to remove the exhaust system entirely, which leaves atmospheric pressure as the only back pressure. However, there are other side effects such as noise, uncontrolled flames, and so on.

"Reflected Pulses" are caused by any discontinuity in the exhaust system. These discontinuities are usually a change in cross section of the pipe, where it becomes either larger or smaller, including where the pipe ends into the essentially infinite cross section of the open air. These reflected pulses can be either positive or negative, depending on the change in cross sectional area. They can arrive back at the exhaust valve in such a way as to help or hinder engine "breathing." This is where the length of the pipe and the engine speed interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively. Because engine speed is usually widely variable and exhaust system is essentially fixed, peaks and valleys appear in torque curves. Ain't nuttin' simple about it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 09/03/13 at 12:25:42

Charon wrote on 09/03/13 at 07:09:18:
It's unfortunate we have no way to distinguish between "back pressure" and "reflected pulses" in these discussions.

"Back Pressure" is caused by restriction to flow. It increases with flow volume or speed. It causes pumping loss in the engine, which reduces power and efficiency. Back pressure is not a good thing, and is not necessary for any engine I know of. The best way to eliminate back pressure is to remove the exhaust system entirely, which leaves atmospheric pressure as the only back pressure. However, there are other side effects such as noise, uncontrolled flames, and so on.

"Reflected Pulses" are caused by any discontinuity in the exhaust system. These discontinuities are usually a change in cross section of the pipe, where it becomes either larger or smaller, including where the pipe ends into the essentially infinite cross section of the open air. These reflected pulses can be either positive or negative, depending on the change in cross sectional area. They can arrive back at the exhaust valve in such a way as to help or hinder engine "breathing." This is where the length of the pipe and the engine speed interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively. Because engine speed is usually widely variable and exhaust system is essentially fixed, peaks and valleys appear in torque curves. Ain't nuttin' simple about it.

You took the words right out of my mouth...   Cool

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/03/13 at 14:27:05

anyone ever fitted a larger dia. header pipe?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/04/13 at 04:35:18

savagebob wrote on 09/03/13 at 14:27:05:
anyone ever fitted a larger dia. header pipe?

Yes.....Lancer and a few others have.  A 1.5" diameter pipe is about as big as you want to go....any bigger and it doesn't run well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cutting exhaust for drag pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.