Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Labor Day
Reply #15 - 09/03/13 at 15:55:48

Star -
As much as you and I are friends, you are all wet on this one.  As I said earlier, the "rich" account for so few of the population, that taxing them at 100%, or cutting CEO pay to less than $500K per year isn't even the proverbial drop in a bucket.
So, if you really look at the facts, how do you make the system work for the average guy?  I too feel for the old folks at Wal-Mart.  Heck, I even keep up my membership in a fraternal organization because if financial disaster hits, at least they operate a free retirement home.
Seriously, forget the emotion and hyperbole.
Our world has just changed so fast, that our generation, and those a few years older are innocently caught in a trap of being under educated, and they didn't look out for themselves.
This doesn't mean that I don't feel for them.  But what do we do with a 75 year old who made a good living in his time, didn't save much, and basically lived in denial of the realities of old age?  Should the gov't just step up and keep him entirely?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #16 - 09/03/13 at 15:58:45

Ok.....according to Tony:

Wealth is a resource that is very useful in excercising power. Donations to political parties and candidates, hiring lobbyists,  grants and payments to experts to fund new "studies" that benefit the wealthy. Influence in  corporations (via ownership of stock) and even controlling the general social enviroment by hiring PR firms and downating money to universities and museums.

Armed with all this money and power, the rich have been able to effectively get legislation passed that helps them get richer still.

Then how come Republicans are not holding more offices, for are they not reported as greedy, in the pockets of, etc?
Then using your reasoning, and seeing the results of recent elections, its the Democrats that benefited by what you report, eh?  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #17 - 09/03/13 at 18:07:01

Jerry probably 2/3 of my friends are college educated and they cant begin to find a job. Everyone cant sit behind a desk. The only surefire way to make money now is the service industry. Auto Technician, plumber, landscaping, heating and air etc. All these fancy gadgets of ours eventually break down or need replacing. I read over 50% of college graduates are unemployed now.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #18 - 09/03/13 at 23:49:58

raydawg wrote on 09/03/13 at 15:58:45:
Ok.....according to Tony:

Wealth is a resource that is very useful in excercising power. Donations to political parties and candidates, hiring lobbyists,  grants and payments to experts to fund new "studies" that benefit the wealthy. Influence in  corporations (via ownership of stock) and even controlling the general social enviroment by hiring PR firms and downating money to universities and museums.

Armed with all this money and power, the rich have been able to effectively get legislation passed that helps them get richer still.

Then how come Republicans are not holding more offices, for are they not reported as greedy, in the pockets of, etc?
Then using your reasoning, and seeing the results of recent elections, its the Democrats that benefited by what you report, eh?  

Ray, honestly I'm not even sure what you are saying or asking. I never mentioned any political party - and I'll explain why of that in a second.

As far as the "success" of the republicans - just not occupying the White House hardly qualifies the party as a failure. They have a solid control of the House and a large enough presence in the Senate to matter.  But more importantly - the Repubs have enjoyed a GREAT deal of success in capturing governships and house/senate in the individual states. The have well over 1/2 of those. Local elections btw are much more easily influenced by $$. The presidential candidates of the two major parties are always going to have enough money to at least be competitive.

But as to why I never mentioned political parties. I suggested the RICH AND POWERFUL run the country. That doesn't change much regardless of electing democrats or republicans.

Ralph Nader - the consumer advocate, political activist and sometimes (third party) Presidential candidate wrote a book entitled "Crashing the Party" about his 2000 Presidental campaign. I believe he was he Green Party candidate that year.

Anyway, in his book he spoke of attending both the Democrat and Republican conventions. On the floor, things looked very different between the two. Different people, different values, different party platforms. BUT - go in the back rooms - and you saw a lot of the SAME people. Most of the RICH and POWERFUL hedge their bets. They want to make sure that their views are represented - no matter who wins.

So it really - sad to say - makes only a little bit of difference who is elected for the rich. Sure, a democrat might throw a few more loaves of bread to the masses and talk about raising taxes on the wealthy. But a lot of that talk goes no where.  Because it does not really matter what party brand politicians wear, cash is king and they have to follow the money

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/04/13 at 05:21:34

Tony; yes and no, but I say mostly no. It matters a great deal which party controls the White House. Ideology still rules.

Look at it this way; say on the day Clinton got impeached; Al Gore  stood up and disassociated himself from Clinton. If he had done that, he wins the election.  Imagine how different history would look. With Al Gore as President, we don't attack Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11, Saddam remains in power and who knows what happens because of that. It's really hard to say. What's not hard to guess is this ridiculous "green" BS that is weaseling into more and more facets of our lives is even greater than it is now.   Jump ahead; if McCain had won, no one would have heard of obamacare. if Romney had won, same thing. Obamacare is going to kill this country if it isn't stopped. McCain had by far the better proposal. It doesn't stop there, look at his spending. McCain or Romeny wouldn't have spent as much.

Elections matter a great deal...... ideology still rules the day.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #20 - 09/04/13 at 07:02:16

Midnight -
You make my point exactly.  Meaningful post high school education isn't always a college degree.  Vocational education is a lot more important for a lot more people.
My point was simply that stopping one's training with a general high school diploma was fine in the 1950s, but it doesn't make the cut today.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/04/13 at 07:45:45

WebsterMark wrote on 09/04/13 at 05:21:34:
Tony; yes and no, but I say mostly no. It matters a great deal which party controls the White House. Ideology still rules.

Look at it this way; say on the day Clinton got impeached; Al Gore  stood up and disassociated himself from Clinton. If he had done that, he wins the election.  Imagine how different history would look. With Al Gore as President, we don't attack Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11, Saddam remains in power and who knows what happens because of that. It's really hard to say. What's not hard to guess is this ridiculous "green" BS that is weaseling into more and more facets of our lives is even greater than it is now.   Jump ahead; if McCain had won, no one would have heard of obamacare. if Romney had won, same thing. Obamacare is going to kill this country if it isn't stopped. McCain had by far the better proposal. It doesn't stop there, look at his spending. McCain or Romeny wouldn't have spent as much.

Web, I know what theyve told us, but what gets done reveals  more.
The D or the R in office only means they go AT things with different rhetoric. How many fewer wars are we in because a D is in office?
When administrations change, the Unelecteds in DC change, the "New Administration" needs NewAdvisers,, Theyre ALL from the same t5hink tanks. Thats why policy doesnt change. The think tanks are Globalist thinkers. We have exactly ZERO justification for being in thesae wars. No R can justify it,no Dcan either, but the Globalist agenda says GO & they use the media to create support. THIS time, there is NO support,BU&T our
"REpresentatives" are gonna give the nod,, Every YES vote needs to recalled from office.,.They are NOTrepresenting their constituents & should be fired. w/o pension.

TONY SAID

BUT - go in the back rooms - and you saw a lot of the SAME people. Most of the RICH and POWERFUL hedge their bets. They want to make sure that their views are represented - no matter who wins.

& the trumpets blare

Dunt duh duh duuuhhh!

LIke in the old movies when a great truth is revealed

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #22 - 09/04/13 at 16:56:51

WebsterMark wrote on 09/04/13 at 05:21:34:

Elections can matter if idealogy matters to you. So for instance with presidential elections, the ability to name Supreme Court justices can and will influence a conservative or liberal bent to the court. Except that even Presidents get surprise. Justices are people and people opinions and values can evolve over time.

But does ideology matter that much to the rich? Enough money allows one to transcend a lot of ideology. What does it matter if abortion is illegal in Arkansas  you can afford to go to New York. Or if you have the money to maintain a villa in France? What does it matter if gay marriage is not recognized in America when again you can go get married and spend your honeymoon in country  that does?

Don't get me wrong - it should be obvious to all that I have a solid ideology (neo-conservative) and that it matters to me. But I don't think the 1% spend much time worrying about guns, gays and abortion. Their status lifts them above such concerns.  Their main concern is maintaining and improving on a status quo that gives them a great deal of power, freedom, a sense of superiority and just a lot of great "stuff".

I don't have any belief at all that presidents of a different party would act all that differently on the world stage. Bush's grudge against Saddam was personal - but I think anyone in the whitehouse would have headed for Afganistan after 911.

As for Obama care, your statement is a bit over the top. How health care is funded and paid for is not going to "kill this country". All of Western Europe, Britain, Japan, New Zeland, Australia - the list would be exhausting - have some sort of national health insurance and they have continued to survive and remain democracies. America will be just fine on Jan 1, 2014.  And if we aren't fine, it won't be because of the Affordable Care act.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #23 - 09/04/13 at 20:20:03

“With Al Gore as President, we don't attack Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11.” WM

And the country would be saying “thank God he didn’t invade Iraq” and waste a few trillions of dollars in a war for oil and greed…oh yes, and 7000 or so American soldiers wouldn’t have died for nothing! (Not to mention hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraq’s).

“Obamacare is going to kill this country if it isn't stopped”. WM

Grin Grin You wach too much FOX news

“It doesn't stop there, look at his spending (Obama). McCain or Romeny wouldn't have spent as much”. WM

Obama has spent less money than then any of the recent presidents…again, too much FOX news.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #24 - 09/08/13 at 21:31:44

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 09/03/13 at 15:55:48:
Star -
As much as you and I are friends, you are all wet on this one.  As I said earlier, the "rich" account for so few of the population, that taxing them at 100%, or cutting CEO pay to less than $500K per year isn't even the proverbial drop in a bucket.
So, if you really look at the facts, how do you make the system work for the average guy?  I too feel for the old folks at Wal-Mart.  Heck, I even keep up my membership in a fraternal organization because if financial disaster hits, at least they operate a free retirement home.
Seriously, forget the emotion and hyperbole.
Our world has just changed so fast, that our generation, and those a few years older are innocently caught in a trap of being under educated, and they didn't look out for themselves.
This doesn't mean that I don't feel for them.  But what do we do with a 75 year old who made a good living in his time, didn't save much, and basically lived in denial of the realities of old age?  Should the gov't just step up and keep him entirely?

Jerry its not about paying off Federal Debt, its about fairness. Upper Managements salaries have gone up over 500% in the last few years while the people that manufacture the product have lost almost 50% of their salaries and benefits. There's plenty of money to go around fairly but greed is destroying us. I don't want to hear about how valuable a CEO is and how he's worth his pay. Costco has a great CEO who gets paid very well and he looks after his employees with great salaries and benefits. That's how its supposed to be done.Here in NC if you hire a temp less than 120 days no benefits. Every 120 days they change temps. They'll pay in the end one way or another. The quality of the product is going to be almost nonexistent with a changing workforce every 3 months and I remember reading something about the eye of a needle.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #25 - 09/08/13 at 21:44:35

Walmart is a prime example. I will not go into that store unless my wife drags me in there. Sam Walton was one of the greatest businessmen we've ever had. I bet his coffin has black marks inside where he's been spinning in his grave, God rest his soul. They make over a million dollars a minute, try to get checked out and there's 20 carts in front of you with two checkout lines. Lousy pay, lousy benefits, impossible work conditions and bad hours and that's the largest employer in the US. His kids have so much money they could buy a 3rd world country and its all came from abusing the employees. Our terrorist are right here running our businesses and government.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 10:23:58

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Labor Day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.