Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2006 S 40 Sputtering at WOT.. HELP.... (Read 253 times)
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2006 S 40 Sputtering at WOT.. HELP....
08/31/13 at 15:40:44

EmbarrassedI have a 2006 S40 Bike I bought used. At about 45-50 mph with throttle wide open it sputters and hesitates like it is trying to get power but cannot. The front band between the carb and the cylinder was loose so I tightened that and it did not help. The bike did have some old gas I n the tank because it smelled old so I put in sea foam with a full tank of fresh gas on top of the old. When you ease the throttle, it will get up to 65 MPH with no problem. it is only on full throttle that I get the sputtering. Also it will back fire a couple times coming back down from WOT. Any suggestions or ideas? Could it just be that I need to run a couple of tanks of fuel with sea foam to clean out the carb? Side note when I get the sputtering and pull out the choke as a test, the engine does not change at all. maybe the choke might be messed up? Any advise would be helpful. I am very disgruntled with the S40. Please help. Thank you. S40 Guy.. :'(

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 2006 S 40 Sputtering at WOT.. HELP....
Reply #1 - 08/31/13 at 15:45:57

Turn the petcock to prime and see if it runs better.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/31/13 at 15:49:19

OK. If I try that and it works what will that tell me? I put in a new standard NGK plug so it has a new plug in there. Any help would be great. I am frustrated. I will try the prime. And re post the results. Thank you. S40 Guy.

IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/31/13 at 16:04:19

I just tried running it on Prime. Same results. Do Throttle wide open and at about 45-50 mph, sputter and spits. Ease the throttle using about 1/2 to 3/4 and it runs just fine . No spit or sputter. Help I am totally
confused on what the issue could be. Thanks, S40 Guy..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/31/13 at 16:47:42

I'd do a thorough cleaning 1st

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 08/31/13 at 16:48:27

First try tapping the float bowl with a screw driver handle. Then if that doesn't help go to the tech section of this site, click on table of contents and scroll to petcock, you will find a lot of useful info there before you pull things to bits.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/31/13 at 17:29:59

Check yer' air filter, too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/31/13 at 17:58:53

Do you think allowing the sea foam time to run through will do a decent enough job of cleaning, or do you think I will have to disassemble the carb for cleaning? I will try the tapping on the float bowl tomorrow. The air cleaner was good. I just cleaned that when I bought it and it appears really clean. I also saw a post on testing the petcock. What confuses me is everything is fine at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. No spit, sputter, etc. Only on WOT do I have the issue. I really hate to take the carb off to clean, I was hoping for Sea Foam to clean it pretty decent. My other bikes I owned I used the Sea Foam the first couple of tanks to clean. I have never had this issue with the Open throttle spit and sputter before. That is where I am lost. S40 Guy.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 08/31/13 at 20:20:10

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me.  WOT requires a lot more fuel than half or 3/4 does.

Could be a coil breaking down at high speed.  But, if it'll run the same RPM slowly going to 1/2 or 3/4 it rules that out and puts it back to fuel delivery.  Sounds like you're running out of gas.

Don't know what kind of mods if any are on the bike.  It might be that you have to rejet for something that has been done to the bike.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/31/13 at 22:05:18

How ;long has it been doingthis? Since ya got it?
Howmany miles you got on it? How many miles on the bike, total?
Drain the carb bowl & see what it lookslike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/01/13 at 06:12:27

Been doing it since I first rode the bike. When I test drove I was in a parking lot so I only could use low throttle. There are little less than 7,400 miles on it. it was outside most of the time with a cover on it in Indiana, and during the winter it was in a garage. To the best I can see no mods were done to it. I did drain the carb and the fuel looked very clean. No debris. I was surprised. nothing bad at all in the clear container I used. Gas did smell a little stale. it had about a quarter of a tank when I bought it. I filled it up with my lawn mower gas (mid grade Phillips 66) and I had to wait to get two tires and fork seals done on the bike before I could test drive for real. Friday was my first day and it started the sputtering right away on WOT ONLY!. Yesterday I have the same results but not sure if it improved slightly or not. Around 45-50 mph is when you get buck city on WOT. I changed the oil to Spectra 10w 40 Semi Synthetic (same I used in my Yamaha Virago) when I got it, Changed oil filter, Put in new spark plug, and a new fuel cap as the one that was with the bike had the key broken off inside of it. Around the top portion of the tank there is a little rust near the top, but inside the bottom lip of the fuel tank it is clear as the rest also looked clear, so I assume the rust is only at the top portion of the tank. No rust flake, just the rust when you wipe a rag or paper towel on it to clear it up. Other than the WOT issue, and the occasional back fire (which I think it from the same WOT issue) the bike runs great. No cam noise yet but I am keeping an eye on it. Hoping for at least 12,000 miles or more before I have to get with Versay on a tensioner. I have 3.5 oz. of Sea Foam in the tank yesterday to run it through to help clean up things in the carb. I am an average mechanic with very strong electrical skills and average carb type skills. When I replaced the spark plug I did lose the speedometer O ring but got two new ones from Bike Bandit with the help form you guys here. No where does it tell you (owners manual or Cylmer manual 1986-2012 edition to watch out for this little guy to fall out. never even mentions this little guy. Any advise or help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help. S40 Guy.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 09/01/13 at 06:33:51

Test fuel delivery to the carburetor. Remove the fuel line from the carb and point it to some suitable collection container. With the petcock ON or REServe there should be no fuel flow. Turn it to PRIme and observe fuel flow. If it isn't adequate (somewhere around a pint per minute, I think) there is a problem in the tank, petcock, or the screen on the standpipe of the petcock. If the flow is adequate, put the fuel line back on the carburetor and open the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Fuel flow will be slower, because it has to go through the float needle valve, but there should be good flow. If not, there is a filter inside the carburetor above the float needle seat.

Personally, I have no faith whatever in the magical restorative powers of Seafoam. I think the gasoline (and probably the ethanol in it) are better solvents than Seafoam could ever hope to be.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 09/01/13 at 08:22:40

It's a vacuum operated slide carburetor. You won't have instant response like we had on real versions with either a cable operated slide or a butterfly plate. And keep in mind, these bikes at lower elevations desperately need a larger main jet. Go up 1 size on the main jet, should alleviate the worst of the stumbling.

You're trying to get Porsche 911 Carrera throttle response out of a VW Beetle... in stock form, it doesn't happen.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/01/13 at 10:55:34

Id pull the air tube to the carb from the air filter & check the slide for
EEEEze of motion,,
Make sure the vacuum that operates the slide is getting to it. A leak (small one) may not affect it much at low RPM,
If its an RPM thing, WOT in any gear, thats a clue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 09/01/13 at 12:52:11

Rereading the original post - This bike does not have a choke. It has an enrichener. Unlike a true choke, the enrichener does not work if the throttle is much above idle, so you can't really expect much change if you pull it out with a wide-open throttle.

Many of us seem to confuse WOT and high rpm. They are not the same, and in many ways are independent of each other. The original post describes a sputtering and hesitation with WOT, but at only mid range on RPM (45 - 50 mph). With part throttle the bike runs up to 65 mph. This could point to either a fuel delivery problem, where fuel flow is inadequate to support WOT demand, or to an ignition problem where WOT causes high cylinder compression pressures and something in the ignition is breaking down and not delivering spark. I would suggest checking the fuel flow first, partly because of the description of old gas and partly because it is easy to do with the bike stopped.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 23:42:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 S 40 Sputtering at WOT.. HELP....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.