Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Riddle me this batman.... (Read 314 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Riddle me this batman....
Reply #45 - 09/08/13 at 00:18:54

Why dont people remember the list of nations to be taken down? Is it not odd every place weve been was announced a few years ago?
WE, people WE, our forces & our proxies are STARTING these problems, THEN the media starts telling us about the horrible people REsponding!
Youre being PLAYED,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #46 - 09/08/13 at 05:11:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/08/13 at 00:18:54:
Why dont people remember the list of nations to be taken down? Is it not odd every place weve been was announced a few years ago?
WE, people WE, our forces & our proxies are STARTING these problems, THEN the media starts telling us about the horrible people REsponding!
Youre being PLAYED,,

Perhaps you refer to the US State Dept's "State Sponsors of Terrorism" list?
It currently includes:
Cuba
Iran
Sudan
Syria

Former countries on the list that have been removed are:
Iraq
Libya
North Korea
South Yemen

Out of four former countries on the list, only two had American military intervention. Could be the other two got the message?

It is possible you know that countries are on the list because they deserve to be so. because they actually sponsor terrorism and are a threat. Protecting it's citizens from security threats is fundamentally what nation states exist for.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 09/08/13 at 05:12:41

Guilt pangs should strike you!   It's unfair and inaccurate to slam someone for stating what is obviously true. Obvious even to Dwight Eisenhower, who made "Military Industrial complex" a household term.

Don't misunderstand the source of my guilt. Star's rant is still idiotic and dead wrong as usual. I just thought the "corn" comment, while accurate, was to graphic. Think of it as a an NC-17  rating instead of R. Although when you're talking about the "Dennis Rodman" of SuzukiSavage.com, it would be hard to be too rough on him. His "love" of country is inspiration...

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #48 - 09/08/13 at 06:05:50

Tony S wrote:
Quote:
We only disagree then on whether Syria matters.

We don't even disagree about that. I think what happens in Syria will matter a good deal in the unfolding events in that part of the world. What we disagree about is that I think a US military strike is pointless. Both sides involved in the actual fighing over there apparently do too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10293591/Syrias-re...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #49 - 09/08/13 at 07:00:18

Tony,, joinup..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #50 - 09/08/13 at 09:33:55

Tony S wrote on 09/07/13 at 09:10:45:
mpescatori wrote on 09/06/13 at 01:40:35:
PS: given the level of high tech and strategic transportation available to all...
.. as 9/11 already pointed out, the US are NOT as untouchable as they were during WW2.
I am a convinced non-interventionist, and you should be, too.

The exact same facts argue to fight them "over there" rather than over here. The belief that if we just mind our own business and stay behind our own walls that the bad guys will leave us alone is misguided and lacks perspective. Show me in history how that has worked out for most people and nation states.

As a former high school student in the  US schooling system, I unfortunately DO understand the level of geographical and political nearsightedness of many.

I remember the "World Maps" hung on classroom walls, nice big North&South America, with US Dominions (=colonies) patched in otherwise empty bits of ocean, and Europe, Africa and Asia squashed to the sides, looking smaller and smaller, less and less important as the geographical areas approached the edges of the map.

Of course, it was all a matter pf perspective and "planar projection", but the point is, far too many people think "There is America, and then the rest of the world out there somewhere..."

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

From 1945 to 1990, two major superpowers played a chess game on the playing board of the World, namely the US and the USSR, with other "also rans" such as the UK, France, and China. After the fall of the Berlin Wall and the demise of the Soviet Union, the USSR crumbled into the Russian Federation and its CSI satellite states and China grew to take 2nd place in "The Great Game".

Today, the US are the only superpower to still use the same strategy since 1945, that is, puppet governments where possible and exporting its own industry asap.
And if both fail, find a way to strongarm them with a military demonstration or two.

Unless any of you have served in Europe, Africa or Asia in the US Forces in the rank of LTC or above, you may have little grasp of the tension that sometime runs even between the US and its own allies.

The US is playing a dangerous game of "tails I win, heads you lose" with the smaller nations, but has not been in a one-on-one confrontation, serious confrontation, since the Korean War...
Roll Eyes
Actually... since the Civil War 1861-1865.

Isolated and protected by two Oceans, the US has fought its last  five or six wars sending troops and equipment overseas, much unlike European and Asian Nations which have seen the fighting on their own soil.
Whereas, I'm sure, every town and village in rural US has a monument to its own military KIA / MIA, nowhere is there a plaque to remember the civilians killed by enemy bombings.

On the other hand, Europeans have been involved in wars, one way or another, since time immemorial, and these days village elders will sigh in beatitude when they comment one to another "we've been in peace for the last 70 years..."

That is why I mentioned 9/11. It hurts, I know it hurts.
Nor was I trying to be a smart aleck.
I was trying to say, in as few words as possible, that if one plays fair, there is nothing to fear.
But if one plays dirty, things will get dirty.

TonyS, you asked me to mention a Nation which was not hit by international terrorism ?

Italy: the last time we had an internaitonal terrorist attack was 27 december 1985, and even then it was PLO gunmen against Israelis in an International Airport Terminal, not in the streets somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_and_Vienna_Airport_Attacks

Please note the same PLO also attacked Vienna Airport, Austria being a neutral Country which, in those days, did NOT play ANY role anywhere.
So much for minding its own business and being neutral.

Italy has been sending troops to ALL UN-or EU- backed international missions since 1981 with UNIFIL-1.
In fact, in many instances Italy was the THIRD contributing Country after the US and the UK - which, when you consider the number of troops sent compared to the overall number of serving men, is quite a feat.
Italy is also well known for being one of a handful of Nations to open its field hospitals to the local civilian population.
There were times when more children were born in Italian Field Hospitals in Mogadishu or Kabul or Beirut or Herat than in their own homes.

YET WE HAVE NO TERRORIST ATTACKS.

What does this tell you ?

It tells ME if you reach out with a helping hand, they will not bite it.
But if the helping hand smacks them in the face, they will smack back.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #51 - 09/08/13 at 10:18:43

mpescatori,

Interesting and pretty accurate analysis, I think. I'm not so sure about this statement though Quote:
if one plays fair, there is nothing to fear.

Perceptions of what is fair vary a lot from place to place and even among individuals in the same country and with similar backgrounds. Letting ones guard down because one thinks they are treating others fairly may not be the wisest policy. There are people, and nations, that only respect superior strength. "Walk softly, but carry a big stick." to dredge up an old cliche., may work better in the long run.

With respect to the situation in Syira - I don't think anythig good would come from actually using that stick

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #52 - 09/08/13 at 10:32:39

I don't believe using that stick anywhere would do anygood unless we are attacked first. We've spent way too much time and money trying to rule the world and all its done is let this country go to hell and fall apart.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #53 - 09/08/13 at 10:34:17

Weare used like the Mafia Muscle by the globalists. Our foreign policy is whatever benefits them

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #54 - 09/08/13 at 13:37:40

oldNslow wrote on 09/08/13 at 10:18:43:
mpescatori,

Interesting and pretty accurate analysis, I think. I'm not so sure about this statement though Quote:
if one plays fair, there is nothing to fear.

Perceptions of what is fair vary a lot from place to place and even among individuals in the same country and with similar backgrounds. Letting ones guard down because one thinks they are treating others fairly may not be the wisest policy. There are people, and nations, that only respect superior strength. "Walk softly, but carry a big stick." to dredge up an old cliche., may work better in the long run.

With respect to the situation in Syira - I don't think anythig good would come from actually using that stick

One of my most senior colleagues is Dutch.

The Netherlands had colonies in the Far east, however they adopted a most unique strategy: let them do whatever suits them, provided business is good.

From the Dutch perspective, since "New Amsterdam" and Guyana in the New World  and other nice places in the Indian and Pacific Oceans were essentially merchant outposts in foreign lands... much as the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians did in the Mediterranean... the Dutch always had very good relations with the local population and their priestly and ruling classes.

Hence, today if you travel to the Netherlands you will see plenty of Asians but no "Integralistic Islamic" attitudes...
...much UNLIKE what happens in the UK, France, Belgium (who had the Congo and squandered it)...

We shpuld learn from them.

Believe it or not... our real enemies are NOT the Islamists (who, incidentally, up until the 1980s were nice and minded their own business) but the major western corporations, some of which are so rich and powerful they have their own armies, air forces and security services... and have a GIP much larger than the GDP of the smaller African and Asian Nations where they do business...

Did BP actually PAY any damage for the Gulf oil spill ?
Can you imagine a similar spill in Nigeria ? They would just gun down the local protesters and blame some "extremist terroristic cell" for the violence.

Dig up Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" and listen to the lyrics...

Regards,

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #55 - 09/08/13 at 18:49:00

[quote author=4E5346504042574C514A230 link=1377976418/45#54 date=1378672660]oldNslow wrote on 09/08/13 at 10:18:43:
mpescatori,

Believe it or not... our real enemies are NOT the Islamists (who, incidentally, up until the 1980s were nice and minded their own business) but the major western corporations, some of which are so rich and powerful they have their own armies, air forces and security services... and have a GIP much larger than the GDP of the smaller African and Asian Nations where they do business...

Can you imagine a similar spill in Nigeria ? They would just gun down the local protesters and blame some "extremist terroristic cell" for the violence.

Regards,

Agree with much of your perspective. However - interesting what you have said and I have bolded about muslims and the 1980's. Your statement ignores the rise of Islamic fundamentalism - which is easily dated at 1979 with the Islamic revolution in Iran.

We all need to understand our conflicts with radical Islamic fundmentlism are not by accident or avoidable. Minding our own business, trying to find common ground - not going to work. These Islamic fundementalists see "human rights" completely different than democracies or countries where the prevailing faith is Judaism or Christian. A few quick examples include:

Equality of men and women
Separation of Church and State
Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
Freedom from religious persecution.

America - and the western democracies - are not going to be able to avoid conflict with the Islamic Fundamentalists. We are - by their standards - a Godless corrupt people that tolerate other religions, allow our women to be educated and are governed by secular goverments. They believe that their faith demands that we reform or die. It is really as blunt as that.

Keep in mind please that I am only referring to the Islamic fundamentalists. The great majority of Muslims view Islam as a religion of peace, love and tolerance.  But unfortunately for us, the fundamentalists started gaining increasing sway in Islamic nations starting in 1979.

So yeah, it was all good until the 1980's. Can't go back in time, have to live in the here and now.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #56 - 09/08/13 at 20:51:06

Our real enemy is our economic terrorist right here. No one overseas can do the damage they've done.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #57 - 09/09/13 at 01:12:27

[quote author=54585A5E54515B56445F06370 link=1377976418/45#55 date=1378691340]mpescatori wrote on 09/08/13 at 13:37:40:
mpescatori,

Regards,

Agree with much of your perspective. However - interesting what you have said and I have bolded about muslims and the 1980's. Your statement ignores the rise of Islamic fundamentalism - which is easily dated at 1979 with the Islamic revolution in Iran.

We all need to understand our conflicts with radical Islamic fundmentlism are not by accident or avoidable. Minding our own business, trying to find common ground - not going to work. These Islamic fundementalists see "human rights" completely different than democracies or countries where the prevailing faith is Judaism or Christian. A few quick examples include:

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
Freedom from religious persecution

America - and the western democracies - are not going to be able to avoid conflict with the Islamic Fundamentalists. We are - by their standards - a Godless corrupt people that tolerate other religions, allow our women to be educated and are governed by secular goverments. They believe that their faith demands that we reform or die. It is really as blunt as that.

Keep in mind please that I am only referring to the Islamic fundamentalists. The great majority of Muslims view Islam as a religion of peace, love and tolerance.  But unfortunately for us, the fundamentalists started gaining increasing sway in Islamic nations starting in 1979.

So yeah, it was all good until the 1980's. Can't go back in time, have to live in the here and now.

Read my bold.

Then analyse the attitude of YOUR extreme right "anti-abortionists" (who will gladly MURDER an abortionist gynecologist)
the attitude of the "Creationists" (who INSIST the universe was created in 6 days as the Book of Genesis describes)
the attitude of the State of Mississippi (whish ratified the Anti-Slavery Bill dated 1866 only last spring
and the attitude of Southern Baptists in general, and Westboro Baptists in particular.
Such attitudes would have been "kept under control" by the Judiciary System in Europe - we've had our share of extremism, thank you very much - but you guys seem to be much too permissive to realize there is a gap between "freedom of opinion" and imposing a minorioty's opinion on a peaceful majority.

Now, please, research Blackwater Security Consulting, and ask yourself how on earth a privately owned company can be contracted to execute military missions for the CIA.

In Europe, it would have been the MOD's job.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #58 - 09/09/13 at 08:27:08

[quote author=2B36233525273229342F460 link=1377976418/45#57 date=1378714347][quote author=54585A5E54515B56445F06370 link=1377976418/45#55 date=1378691340]mpescatori wrote on 09/08/13 at 13:37:40:
mpescatori,

. These Islamic fundementalists see "human rights" completely different than democracies or countries where the prevailing faith is Judaism or Christian. A few quick examples include:

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
Freedom from religious persecution

Read my bold.

Then analyse the attitude of YOUR extreme right "anti-abortionists" (who will gladly MURDER an abortionist gynecologist)
the attitude of the "Creationists" (who INSIST the universe was created in 6 days as the Book of Genesis describes)
the attitude of the State of Mississippi (whish ratified the Anti-Slavery Bill dated 1866 only last spring
and the attitude of Southern Baptists in general, and Westboro Baptists in particular.
Such attitudes would have been "kept under control" by the Judiciary System in Europe - we've had our share of extremism, thank you very much - but you guys seem to be much too permissive to realize there is a gap between "freedom of opinion" and imposing a minorioty's opinion on a peaceful majority.

Now, please, research Blackwater Security Consulting, and ask yourself how on earth a privately owned company can be contracted to execute military missions for the CIA.

In Europe, it would have been the MOD's job.

I miss the point of your post.

If you are saying the Christian Fundamentalist extremists can be as dangerous as their Islamic counterparts - I agree

If you are saying Southern Baptists are pretty conservative, I agree. As are the leaders and most followers of large, non denominational Evangelical churches. I know a fair number of Christians that fall into those two camps - SB and Evangelicals and they are not extremists with a violent bent. Just conservative.

Creationists come in a lot of flavors. The great majority of Christians - for instance Methodists and Catholics - believe that God created the universe but the Biblical account of six days is symbolic and it is all cool with science. "The bible is literal in it's account of six days" type creationist is both in the minority and harmless. They like to open mueseums and pester school boards, but that's about it.

I don't like the Blackwater Security thing. I don't understand why the US military contracts out a lot of things that they do. While the war was still being fought in Iraq we had private contractors hauling fuel in unguarded convoys to our troops and forward bases.  Back to Blackwater - maybe in 20 years someone will write a book that explains a lot of whys and what for.

Not having lived in Europe I cannot say how it is there. But the difference between Christian Extremists in the USA and Islamic Extremists in the Middle East and Africa are pretty easy to see. The Christian Extremists  don't rule in America like they do in Iran. Nor do they have control of parts of the entire country where they have set up their own shadow goverment - judicial system, (religous) police, prevent females from attending school. etc as they have in say Afghanistan  Nor do the Christian extremists in the USA even effectively, behind the scenes. call all the shots like say in Saudia Arabia.

"Such attitudes" are kept under control her in the USA. While Individual acts of violence occur. America doesn't have Extremist Christian groups controlling parts of our country, nor are they destablizing our government or assisinating police, politicians and reporters that speak out against them.  

Instead the call themselves "Social conservatives" and along with the Tea party elect in the Republican primaries republican candidates that more closely represent their views. They enjoy success in the smaller, more conservative states especially at the local levels of government. They have actually hurt the republicans in the larger states and at the national level. I live in Indiana. Richard Lugar couldn't have lost his Senate seat in a general election to Mother Theresa.  But a tea party/social conservative candidate beat him in the Republican primary - and then lost the general election in a State Romney easily carried.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 08:28:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Riddle me this batman....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.