Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Riddle me this batman.... (Read 314 times)
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Re: Riddle me this batman....
Reply #30 - 09/01/13 at 18:26:14

oldNslow wrote on 09/01/13 at 18:03:43:
Quote:
There will likely be some missile strikes to a few strategic weapons sites in Syria...  

Or not. Obama tossed the ball to congress 'cause he hopes they say no and get him off the hook. Or, in the event they agree to some sort of strike, and something goes wrong, he can spread the blame around instead of taking all the heat himself.

The real danger is that crap like this has a nasty way of getting out of control once it's started. Especially when the real reason that the POTUS decides to shoot missles at someplace is just so that the leaders of Russia and China won't think he's a wimp. You don't really think he gives a hoot about a few thousand dead Syrians do you?

I think Obama and other elected members of congress on both sides of the ailse care a lot about Syria's substantial chemical weapons aresenal falling into the wrong hands.  Which is entirely what might happen if they start using them regularly.  How much Obama personally cares about the Syrian casualties I do not know.

But that reminds me of a Desert Storm II joke: Let's lighten the mood, shall we?

It's early March 2003. A guy walks into a bar in Washington DC and notices George Bush and D Chaney sitting at the bar having something of a heated conversation.  

After a few minutes, he decides that this is a once in a liftetime opportunity  to actually meet the President and Vice President of the United States, so he walks on over to the bar and says "Mr. President and Vice President, I'm sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to say hello and shake your hands."

Cheaney says "No problem. Sit down and have a drink. In fact maybe you can help settle an argument George and I are having."

The guy replies "I don't know how I could be of help, but I'm certainly willing to do whatever I can."

Cheaney explains: "We are thinking about killing 100,000 Iraqis and one blonde with big tits."

The guy says "Why do you want to kill a blond with big tits?"

Cheaney looks at Bush and says "See George. I told you no one would give a *spoon* about the dead Iraqis."

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #31 - 09/01/13 at 18:52:44

Quote:
I think Obama and other elected members of congress on both sides of the ailse care a lot about Syria's substantial chemical weapons aresenal falling into the wrong hands

Even if that is so, how exactly will blowing up a few radar installations, or SAM sites ,or whatever, do anything to prevent that from happening.
In fact, Syria's chemical weapons are ALREADY in the wrong hands and we don't even know for sure whose hands those are. It doesn't really matter.There are no good guys in the fight going on over there. And there is no good reason for this country to do anything. Unless you think a president's unfortunate off the cuff remark, and his bruised ego is a good reason for potentially starting a war.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/01/13 at 20:50:12

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/britain-sold-nerve-gas-chemic...

Brits supplied the chemicals to make the weapons.

BTW, back to our previous conversation Jerry... quote from the article above:

Quote:
“But when you’re making a nerve agent, you attach a fluoride element and that’s what gives it
its toxic properties.

“Fluoride is key to making these munitions.

--Steve

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #33 - 09/06/13 at 01:40:35

+1

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 09/01/13 at 09:24:23:
I sick of supporting regime change in these Middle Eastern and other Muslim countries, Iraq included.
Back when the dictators were in power in Iraq, Iran, Libya, Egypt and Syria, and nobody messed with the other, things were fine - stable, that it.
Libya learned its lesson from Reagan, and all was quiet until two years ago. Sadam was quiet at 1991 until GWB decided to throw him out.  Iran was quiet until Carter chickened out, wouldn't let Israel kill Khomeini while he was still in Paris and thereby keep the Shah in power, then we sit back and let Egypt go nuts.
Those people can't handle self rule - Muslims want theocracies, not democracies.  I say, protect the strongmen - at least they bring stability to the region and keep the crazies under control.

My own considerations, especially considering Italy alone has far more Syrians and Lybians over here than you have or will ever have.
AND
we're much closer to the Middle East than you are,
AND
we've got a good 3000 years experience of dealing with "the East Coast" of the Mediterranean, way back in the days when the Phoenicians were running the Persian Kings' Navies against Greeks and Egyptians...

1. Remember Guernica (if you don't know what Guernica is, it's a city in Spain; google it and read about it)
Whereas during the Spanish Civil War everybody blamed the Loyalists (Fascists) for bombing Guernica, some 60 years later a former Republican (Communist) Leader admitted on his death bed the bombing was actually Republicans on Republicans, done on purpose in order to cause a public outcry hoping to gain international support.
It worked, but what parent would hurt his own children in secret in order to gain support?

2. The Syrian regime started opposing public demonstrations (which were simply asking for new elections), and the "violence" was limited to tear gas and rubber bullets until someone started shooting at policemen... with precision weapons (sniper rifles)
THAT caused an escalation. Incidentally, Assad's claim that the "rebels" were supported by "external terrorists" was proven correct in more than one instance, with prisoners being identified and linked to Iraq, Al Qaeda, and even some US muslim converts (!!!)

3. The Syrian regime lost a number of cities - which means it also lost the local garrisons and armories; the original protesters soon cried out to international media that their protest had been pried away from them by "violent extremists" who fight with heavy machine guns, bazookas and mortars - which is something someone demonstrating for new elections will clearly not do.

4. The "external terrorists" have recruited volunteers from Iraq, Afghanistan and some Central Asian Republics - those same which provided fresh recruits to the Taliban Regime in Afghanistan.
The proof is the languages those guerillas speak (not always Arabic but Urdu or Turkik) and the techniques used to produce IEDs, Improvised Explosive Devices.
As any Bomb Squad can testify, every "bomber" has his own technique and every explosive device carries a "signature" - the IEDs filmed by European Journalists have all been identified as "the same kind used in Afghanistan and in the first years of the Iraqi Occupation" - hence, they were made by those persons or by their trainees.

5. WHO IS THE LOCAL SUPERPOWER ? The USA ? Think again.
The local superpower is TURKEY. If Turkey is sitting pretty then nobody should make so much as a hint of a move.
If military action in Syria causes retaliation or a reaction by Syrian forces or forces of another nation, Israel might well be targeted; and if Israel reacts (it would be entitled to) we are in for yet another full scale war in the Middle East.

NOT IN MY FRONT YARD !!!

PS: given the level of high tech and strategic transportation available to all...
.. as 9/11 already pointed out, the US are NOT as untouchable as they were during WW2.
I am a convinced non-interventionist, and you should be, too.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #34 - 09/06/13 at 17:46:44

Funny thing about the US and it's moral outrage over some kind of gas used by somebody...

Item

"U.S. Shipping Thousands of Cluster Bombs to Saudis, Despite Global Ban"

Is this to protect more children??

Cluster bombs are banned by 83 nations. The world recoiled in horror when it learned that Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad's forces have killed children with such weapons.

But that isn't stopping the U.S. military from selling $640 million worth of American-made cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia, despite the near-universal revulsion at such weapons, and despite the fact that relations between the two countries haven't been going well of late.

Cluster bombs in Vietnam, they spit out dozens, even hundreds, of micro-munitions in order cover a wide area with death and destruction. These weapons are used for killing large groups of people, destroying unarmored vehicles and dispensing landmines or poison gas. Some of the Soviet-made incendiary cluster bombs used by Assad's forces during Syria's civil war are even designed to light buildings on fire and then explode after sitting on the ground for a while -- thereby killing anyone who gets close enough to try to extinguish the flames.

I hear that children love them ...they think they are toys and go to pick them up ....BOOM!

'Snort'…USA, spreading peace and democracy, one bomb at a time.

America is selling its soul to enable the capitalists' lucrative business of death for money thrive.

After all, the business of America is business.

War is the candy of the 1%.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 09/07/13 at 05:24:09

Just saying, but I bet you'd pick the corn out of Jane Fonda's crap if she asked you to.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 09/07/13 at 06:34:55

Okay, guilt pangs have struck me. Maybe the Jane Fonda corn comment was over the top, but for crying out loud...... Hard to take the equivalent of flag burning. Yea, I get it, it's your right blah, blah......but still...try saying one thing positive ....

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 09/07/13 at 06:48:17

I was just about to make a comment that your last 4 or 5 posts have been spot on and then you back pedal like this...

I still think your last 4 or 5 posts were spot on.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 09/07/13 at 07:07:14

Lifter has neen on an absolute tear,, right on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #39 - 09/07/13 at 08:31:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/07/13 at 07:07:14:

+1   Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #40 - 09/07/13 at 08:33:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/07/13 at 07:07:14:

+1   Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #41 - 09/07/13 at 09:03:38

WebsterMark wrote on 09/07/13 at 06:34:55:
Okay, guilt pangs have struck me. Maybe the Jane Fonda corn comment was over the top, but for crying out loud...... Hard to take the equivalent of flag burning. Yea, I get it, it's your right blah, blah......but still...try saying one thing positive ....

Guilt pangs should strike you!  Grin It's unfair and inaccurate to slam someone for stating what is obviously true. Obvious even to Dwight Eisenhower, who made "Military Industrial complex" a household term.

"A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...
This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

Also factual is the continued use of and sale of by the USA military of cluster bombs. A weapon indeed banned by most of the world. Cluster bombs are an extremely effective weapon against humans. Used against enemy soldiers, there is nothing particularly more immoral about killing enemy ground troops with cluster bombs than any other type of bomb. I don't have any particular preference as to how I get blown up. The problem with cluster bombs, like biological and chemical weapons is they tend to result in far more killing and maiming of non combatants. It's well documented that about 5% of the "bomblets" do not initially explode. Shiny little silver things that look like children's toys. And that's exactly what happens with the un-exploded bomblets. They get picked up by children. And then blow up.

You can't be the world's preeminent super power without a big military-industrial complex.  And that is expensive. Allowing US military contractors to sell weapons to other countries - that we consider allies -  reduces the costs for our own military. It's actually a good thing.

So I agree with Eisenhower. America needs a "military industrial complex". The research, development, manufacture and sales of advanced weapons keeps us safe.  But we have to be alert and on guard - or that same complex starts exerting influence on the actual decision making process when to take military action.  

Time to get over Jane Fonda. She has apologized publicly many, many times and privately several times to groups of Vietnam veterans. "he without sin cast the first stone" and all that. If you were actually an adult during the Vietnam war then you'd know is was a pretty terrible time for the USA. It wasn't a war, it was a holding action. Our soldiers were not allowed to win and our army and commanders had never been trained in fighting a "defensive" action.  The result's were ugly for our military, ugly for our society, ugly for our country. It was nothing at all like the revisionist, popular movies of the last couple of decades.

Kennedy had 16.000 Americans soldiers and advisers in Vietnam and had removed 1000 of them after his reelection. A few years later Johnson had that up to 200,000 and at it's height it was what, almost half a million US soldiers? Boardies here seem timid of firing a barrage of cruise missiles at Syrian military targets from ships safely out of harms way.  World's police, all of our cowardly elected leaders need replace, keep our nose out of other people's business. Will turn into an opened ended quagmire.  Yada, yada, mew, mew.  I think you youngsters here have no sense of history and don't know what a real quagmire even is.

Yet you crack on "Hanoi Jane" who was, at the time, representing a view point held by a LOT of Americans that we needed to quit bleeding America dry supporting a corrupt regime on the other side of the world. It seems like that with the prevailing viewpoint on these boards that America has no national interests outside our own borders and needs to stay out of other countries conflicts that Jane Fonda would be a hero to you and you'd have posters of her in your garage.

The military is one of several tools that America has and should use  to ensure  that our vital national interests are met. Leaders of countries the world over need to be concerned - even fearful - of the likely response of getting out the WMD's. If you own such, you had better keep them locked down or you will be held accountable. It's as simple as that.

IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #42 - 09/07/13 at 09:10:45

mpescatori wrote on 09/06/13 at 01:40:35:
PS: given the level of high tech and strategic transportation available to all...
.. as 9/11 already pointed out, the US are NOT as untouchable as they were during WW2.
I am a convinced non-interventionist, and you should be, too.

The exact same facts argue to fight them "over there" rather than over here. The belief that if we just mind our own business and stay behind our own walls that the bad guys will leave us alone is misguided and lacks perspective. Show me in history how that has worked out for most people and nation states.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #43 - 09/07/13 at 09:33:44

Quote:
I think you youngsters here have no sense of history and don't know what a real quagmire even is.

Quote:
The exact same facts argue to fight them "over there" rather than over here. The belief that if we just mind our own business and stay behind our own walls that the bad guys will leave us alone is misguided and lacks perspective. Show me in history how that has worked out for most people and nation states.

I did my stint in this country's military during the Vietnam war,( USN 1969-1972) so I'm not exactly a youngster. And studying history, particularly military history, is one of my major interests so I think I actually have a pretty good sense of perspective.

"Fighting them over there" is certainly appropriate in some circumstances. But this thread is about the situation in Syria. There is NOTHING that either side in that conflict can do to threaten the US,with the possible exception of a small scale terrorist attact on a US facility of some sort somewhere in that part of the world. And as long as they are engaged in fighting one another even that is unlikely.

I am not an isolationist. I understand that there are times and places where you have to fight - either as an individual, or as a nation. This is not one of them.

IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #44 - 09/07/13 at 09:48:51

oldNslow wrote on 09/07/13 at 09:33:44:
Quote:
I think you youngsters here have no sense of history and don't know what a real quagmire even is.

Quote:

I did my stint in this country's military during the Vietnam war,( USN 1969-1972) so I'm not exactly a youngster. And studying history, particularly military history, is one of my major interests so I think I actually have a pretty good sense of perspective.

"Fighting them over there" is certainly appropriate in some circumstances. But this thread is about the situation in Syria. There is NOTHING that either side in that conflict can do to threaten the US,with the possible exception of a small scale terrorist attact on a US facility of some sort somewhere in that part of the world. And as long as they are engaged in fighting one another even that is unlikely.

I am not an isolationist. I understand that there are times and places where you have to fight - either as an individual, or as a nation. This is not one of them.

I respect your perspective and viewpoint. We only disagree then on whether Syria matters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 08:20:11

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Riddle me this batman....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.