Send Topic Print
Close call.... (Read 296 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Close call....
08/29/13 at 19:49:50

Was late for work so I rushed and parked my bike and ran in. Little did I know, I left the key in "On" position until someone told me hr and half after I came in. Having done this few weeks ago (and vowed never to do it again) I ran out fearing the worst.

Squeezed the clutch, hit the button.... Nothing.  Angry (this is a BRAND NEW BATTERY! Can't believe I have to buy another one) I said to myself walking back..

Sat there  Angry.. Then realized I left it in gear! With new hope ran out, put it in neural.... Vroom! Thank heavens!

Lol I hate not having the key on the handle bar like sport bikes..

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Re: Close call....
Reply #1 - 08/29/13 at 19:51:06

Forgot my question during the typing.. Lol

So what do you guys think about the battery? I turned it off after seeing it started. After work I rode it home without issues. Do I need another one? Did it do damage being on that long?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 08/29/13 at 19:53:47

It is new, and it worked- so probably not.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #3 - 08/29/13 at 20:00:18

Why would you need a new battery if it dies on you? Mine's died on me before, but after push starting it I just ran it for a good little while and the alternator charged it. Since then it's been fine...

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 08/29/13 at 20:22:24

You probably helped it to prematurely lose a little of its storage capacity.  But, it shouldn't be a problem seeing as it's a new battery.  You should only have to replace if it won't charge/hold a charge, won't hold enough of a charge/supply enough power to do the intended job, is physically damaged.

Glad you got it started.  Means it didn't get terribly low.  Should be just fine.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #5 - 08/29/13 at 20:26:34

I did this last weekend on my first big epic road trip through Rocky Mountain National Park.  I woke up at 6am all excited to ride.  Went to a diner for breakfast and when I parked I thought to myself "oh it's so safe here I don't need to lock my steering column."  But I should have known that breaking habits is a bad thing because it caused me to leave my key in the ignition in the on position.

I came out from the diner to a dead battery and sat there contemplating how screwed I was and how my trip had failed before I even started it.

Fortunately I remembered reading something about push starting it and gave it a shot.  And thankfully, my fuzzy memories were enough... 2nd gear, not first... get a good running start... release the clutch but quickly engage it again... and voila! My bike was running!  The rest of my day's ride recharged the battery and it's been fine ever since.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 08/29/13 at 22:21:27

"Lol I hate not having the key on the handle bar like sport bikes.."

It sounds like you shutdown the engine by using the handlebar kill button, then forget the key switch.  Leave the handlebar switch alone and shut down the engine with the key.  You'll never have the problem again.  Also, you won't forget to turn the handlebar switch back on, which makes you have to hunt down why the starter won't spin over next time you try to start the bike.

I see the handlebar kill switch for emergency use only-- like if you dump the bike on the ground and the engine is still running.

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #7 - 08/29/13 at 22:22:54

bobert_FSO wrote on 08/29/13 at 22:21:27:
"Lol I hate not having the key on the handle bar like sport bikes.."

It sounds like you shutdown the engine by using the handlebar kill button, then forget the key switch.  Leave the handlebar switch alone and shut down the engine with the key.  You'll never have the problem again.  Also, you won't forget to turn the handlebar switch back on, which makes you have to hunt down why the starter won't spin over next time you try to start the bike.

I see the handlebar kill switch for emergency use only-- like if you dump the bike on the ground and the engine is still running.

Never thought of that... Good advice!  Cool

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 08/30/13 at 06:27:50

The real reason the kill switch is up there by the throttle is for use if the throttle sticks open. It is not intended for daily use to stop the engine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #9 - 08/30/13 at 06:27:51

Or in my case I turn the key off...only in park instead of off came back out on evening saw my rear light on..thankfully it didnt kill the battery.  I may look like a idiot but I double check the key every time now make sure I got it turned to off instead of park.  Gotta give me a little slack tho...this is my first bike and been riding only couple months now..MSF course done etc..still learning things

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #10 - 08/30/13 at 07:06:41

Weird.  My Motorcycle Safety Foundation course teacher specifically taught us to turn off the engine via the kill switch.

In fact I just checked and the Engine Cut Off is the officially taught method of stopping the engine.  They use an acronym called FINE-C which stands for Fuel Ignition Neutral Engine-Cut-Off Choke.

Choke being an optional step, you walk through the steps in order and reverse them to power down after riding.  So that's how I've now got that big orange cut off in my muscle memory when I pull into where I'm going.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 08/30/13 at 07:36:51

I was taught the same method for shut down at the MSF course.  I think it's good because it gives you the muscle memory for the kill switch vs the key.  In an emergency you're going to rely on your instinct.  I'd rather use the kill switch than fumble under the seat when the pressure is on. Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #12 - 08/30/13 at 07:40:20

Ill ask at the experienced rider course today about it  Tongue

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #13 - 08/30/13 at 07:41:00

Rush-rks wrote on 08/30/13 at 06:27:51:
Or in my case I turn the key off...only in park instead of off came back out on evening saw my rear light on..thankfully it didnt kill the battery.  I may look like a idiot but I double check the key every time now make sure I got it turned to off instead of park.  Gotta give me a little slack tho...this is my first bike and been riding only couple months now..MSF course done etc..still learning things

I do that all the time now lol

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #14 - 08/30/13 at 07:44:12

I do cut off mine kill switch first..I kept turning the key to park instead of off but I have been doing better..when I get off the bike if I am not taking the key I make sure it is in "off"

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:21:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Close call....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.