Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Choke seems worse than No Choke (Read 87 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Choke seems worse than No Choke
08/29/13 at 13:40:18

On a cold start I have found that I'm far better off starting with the Choke in (inactive) and just giving a little throttle until things are warmed up a bit.

If I pull the choke out, the idle feels like it goes DOWN significantly and the bike stalls.  Guaranteed.

What's up with that?  I don't mind it but I'm starting in 80 degree ambient temperatures.  I'm not sure that'll work so well when they dip back to 40 or so (San Francisco winter lows).

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Re: Choke seems worse than No Choke
Reply #1 - 08/29/13 at 13:46:50

When you pull the "choke" it richens the mix, so if your motor dies when you pull it you are probably already a little rich, I never use my choke I just hit the starter and it starts right up I let it warm up for about 5 minutes and then away i go.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/29/13 at 14:00:07

If you are in the Rockies for the summer, go ahead and forget the bike even HAS a choke/enrichener. You don't need it over a couple thousand feet in elevation.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 08/29/13 at 14:45:50

I never had to use the choke.  When I rejetted main, pilot and spacer for running with an Emgo short reverse muffler (same as used by Ryca) with minimal baffling, I never had to choke or enrich to start unless the temps were down in the 30's.  I also didn't have all the popping and sputtering associated with warming up.  When the engine started, it ran just fine without waiting to warm up.  I was ready to go immediately (keeping revs down until it warmed up).

I had lots of exhaust grumble as decel revs got closer to idle, but no loud afterfires. However, there were no gunshot sounds on decel, shifting or shutdown.  Occasionally there would be a soft "poof" on shutdown.

I know it was a little rich, but I was still getting 46mpg and bike ran great.  I didn't touch the pilot screw, mainly because when I tried to get the plug out, the screw I was using broke off in the plug.  Since it ran so well, I never pursued getting to the pilot screw.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 11/09/13 at 20:22:02

WD wrote on 08/29/13 at 14:00:07:
If you are in the Rockies for the summer, go ahead and forget the bike even HAS a choke/enrichener. You don't need it over a couple thousand feet in elevation.

I live @ 6500' MSL (see my signature for bike specifics).  The jetting is stock.

Mine always starts best (cold engine, year round) with the enrichener plunger halfway out.  Then, after about a minute of idling like that, I can push said plunger in and it'll still idle OK.  I generally start riding about two minutes after pushing said plunger full in.

In the winter, it'll then be a bit "fluffy" for a few blocks, but then runs good from there on out....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/09/13 at 21:06:51

I wasnt feeling well,, went to the doctor.. he looked me over & told me what to do..
While I was there I thot Id mention a pain Id been having,, I told him
"Doc, when I move like this, it hurts.."

He said dont do that,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke seems worse than No Choke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.