Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!! (Read 233 times)
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!
Reply #30 - 09/08/13 at 08:01:58

Steve H wrote on 09/07/13 at 20:00:46:
I don't know about everybody else.  I don't care what you ride, long as you're riding and enjoying yourself.  I'm always happy to try to help anyone who wants it.  I think you've done a great job on the bike. Looks like you've put in a lot of time and effort to get where you are with it.

Are you getting enough wattage to charge the battery and run the lighting at a reasonable engine speed? Is this guy running points or is it electronic ignition?  I was just looking at the pics to see if there was a way to grab an extra coil form and try to get true 3phase out of it.  Doesn't look like the mounts are there. Looks like a magneto coil and the charging coil.  I've seen some bases that had additional mounts and the wiring could be different depending on the requirements of the bike.

Anyway, great work on the bike. Cheesy

Steve this will answer all 3 of your posts  Grin

1. This Suzuki had CDI internally in Ignition coil. Basicly the black coil you see in diagrams fed Black/red stripe to Ignition coil. there is also a ground connection, these are the only 2 inputs... HV cable (output) feed Spark plug (I tried to attach a diagram of coil)

2. Coils were wound starting 1st coil... Ground connection, then 40.5' wire wrap attached to yellow lead and 2nd coil. 2nd coil 23' and soldered to white red stripe lead.

So  originally the coils were layered on top of each other. with 20g wire.

I used 18g and wound 3 coils, side by side with somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8" plastic seperator to isolate from each other. because if you look closely at coil it is not fully wound. I filled base to top in each section using 30-35' wire. Switching wrap direction as I went along. First coil started clockwise. Holding base with outside curved metal ends away from me, started on left side (as original had done) and wrapped away from me and and under and back around again (sounds stupid - don't known any better way to explain) This was clockwise, so the 2nd coil went counterclockwise and then back to clockwise again...

Originally Suzuki had used a total of 63.5'. I used 105' also 18g instead of 20g. Even if it is 3 leads of single phase... I am using a Suzuki 7 wire R/R
3 yellows connect to my coil (Mess Roll Eyes ) 2-red leads one to Positive battery circuit the other to Starter coil. 2-black leads one to Negative battery circuit the other to frame ground (to dump excess Voltage.)

# common end to all 3 coils is grounded, The way I wound it I could either float or ground... It seemed to work better grounded.

I just switched today to a 50/50w Blue Halogen Headlight did have a 25w/25w standard bike bulb. Works great! no flickering when Idleing, no dimming when starting bike... (I also replaced battery again incase it had bad cell seemed to need 1-2 hrs recharge @ 5amps to get full each night. before... now No!)
David

(Thanks Guys!       I think it needs the new style Harley Bars or bobber bars on it so I would lean forward... whats everyone think??)

Capture_wiring_suzuki_rc110.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #31 - 09/08/13 at 08:31:39

Hi David,

The 3phase rectifier will rectify either single, 2, or 3 phase depending on how many wires you connect to it. With less that 3 phases, you just use part of the rectifier instead of all of it.  As long as the voltage is high enough the regulator doesn't care, it will work.

Sounds like you did a great job getting it to do what you needed without a lot of fuss or modification. Glad to hear everythign is working well.

As to the handlebaars.  I think either will look good on it. I have always been partial to bars that let me sit pretty much upright.  I don't like leaning much forward and can't stand leaning back because of the bars. I like the bar ends in a nice, natural position to prevent wrist strain. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and my hands go numb quickly if the wrists are not just right. I pulled off the stock pullback bars from my savage and replaced them with some Harley bars as soon as I could. Got the bars at a swap meet for $5 too.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #32 - 09/08/13 at 20:55:19

Steve H wrote on 09/08/13 at 08:31:39:
Hi David,

The 3phase rectifier will rectify either single, 2, or 3 phase depending on how many wires you connect to it. With less that 3 phases, you just use part of the rectifier instead of all of it.  As long as the voltage is high enough the regulator doesn't care, it will work.

Sounds like you did a great job getting it to do what you needed without a lot of fuss or modification. Glad to hear everythign is working well.

As to the handlebaars.  I think either will look good on it. I have always been partial to bars that let me sit pretty much upright.  I don't like leaning much forward and can't stand leaning back because of the bars. I like the bar ends in a nice, natural position to prevent wrist strain. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and my hands go numb quickly if the wrists are not just right. I pulled off the stock pullback bars from my savage and replaced them with some Harley bars as soon as I could. Got the bars at a swap meet for $5 too.

Thanks Steve!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:24:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.