Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!! (Read 233 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!
Reply #15 - 09/04/13 at 07:16:29

David,, whats your career field?> YOu into electronics?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #16 - 09/04/13 at 09:06:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/13 at 07:16:29:

I spent 35 years as a Field Warranty Rep. and Team Driver for Mercury Marine (Ran in most for the Sport and Family classes, ModVP and when they had OZ, also Formula 1 and Mod classes. I love 2 cycle as I raced with it my whole career. But you guys are on land, I was on water... Cool

So I understand 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines. Since I had started 1968, we had 99cc 125 BP Stacker. Engine had exhaust plate removed and 3 - 24-30" chrome stacks, some had water injection to cool. As we were running AVgas or at that time Nascar Fuel... Exhaust got pretty hot... Was not uncommon if testing and running when it was getting dusk  Lips Sealed  to see blue flames firing from the Headers as you held it at WOT. Grin

Loved the smell and the crackle of the exhaust! (Avgas & 2T oil...)

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #17 - 09/04/13 at 09:13:39

davidstipek wrote on 09/04/13 at 09:06:05:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/13 at 07:16:29:

I spent 35 years as a Field Warranty Rep. and Team Driver for Mercury Marine (Ran in most for the Sport and Family classes, ModVP and when they had OZ, also Formula 1 and Mod classes. I love 2 cycle as I raced with it my whole career. But you guys are on land, I was on water... Cool

So I understand 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines. Since I had started 1968, we had 99cc 125 BP Stacker. Engine had exhaust plate removed and 3 - 24-30" chrome stacks, some had water injection to cool. As we were running AVgas or at that time Nascar Fuel... Exhaust got pretty hot... Was not uncommon if testing and running when it was getting dusk  Lips Sealed  to see blue flames firing from the Headers as you held it at WOT. Grin

Loved the smell and the crackle of the exhaust! (Avgas & 2T oil...)

Justin O Guy2... should be my name... Cheesy (Bet I'm older then you! I needed to know Electronics to do my job. Most of the Team Tunnelboat Drivers carried a spare Rectifier and Computer Chips in there cockpit to change if needed on the course. This was more likely to be so when running Marothons.. 1 hr, 2 hr, used to be 4 hr, 8 hr, and 24hr (Lake Havasu, Paris, London, Germany, Gulf of Thailand, Japan just to name a few...)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/04/13 at 18:55:14

We certainly have some , well,, different people who ride these bikes.

Got an astronaut in Denver & a boatracer,, & all kinds of build it, make it work types.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #19 - 09/04/13 at 22:06:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/13 at 18:55:14:
We certainly have some , well,, different people who ride these bikes.

Got an astronaut in Denver & a boatracer,, & all kinds of build it, make it work types.

Well... What did you do?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 09/04/13 at 22:28:19

I bounced around

USAF, Biloxi Miss 9 months, electronics, Navigational aids repairman
Stunk at electronics,, sent to a base with NO equipment! HUng out in radio repair doing mechanical alignments on some BIG transmitters.
2men to move the radio, 2 to move the power supply.

Roughneck, body man, some time in a machine shop, ran a warehouse, fixed copiers/cash registers/fax machines/calculators for 7 years
plugged & abandoned oil wellsfor a coupla years, was the mechanic there & did body work & knew how to repair triplex & centrifugal pumps from being a mechanic at The Western Company,.drove the trucks, 18 wheelers/80,000 pound stuff..
AF training made the copier/register job work out.. W/O that training I never woulda got that job,, & that was the best job I had.
Thank you Air Force.
I Aced the mechanics part of the entrance exam, made the lowest score (80) on electronics that would allow me to even be trained in electronics..But they wouldnt let me be a mechanic!
Learned to handle explosives plugging wells.Gotta shoot the casing off down hole..I can drive forklifts & we have a back hoe, Im  decent with it

PS
I dropped outta high school. AF policy was to nottake dropouts. I bugged the recruiter till he took me to take the entrance exam.,.I scored in the top 10%. He couldnt believe it,,

Please pardon the run together words, my spacebar is not working right.

You know, peoples work history can be pretty interesting,
I knew a guy in MIdland who worked for Centrilift, an oilfiled company, specializing in downhole pumps & controllers. He worked summers while in High School. Graduated, went full time & Never worked for anyone else. One employer! They thot somuch of him they sent him on a special assignment to Siberia. They sent him to Houston to be measured, then they shipped him a load of fur lined, extreme cold weather gear, tailor made for him. A year or so later they sent him to a One Man shop located a coupla miles from a lake, IDK if he is still there,but he said he would quit instead of accept another location. Working alone suits him & IDK anyone who doesnt like living where their front yard drops off from grass to water.

Ima start a new thread,,.

« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 07:01:36 by justin_o_guy2 »  

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 09/05/13 at 13:47:27

David,

There are several considerations when winding 3phase and deciding what you want to get out of it.  Do you wind wye or delta? You wound wye from some of your following posts. When you rectify single phase, you get 1.44 times the AC voltage as DC.  When you rectify 3phase, you get 1.73 times AC voltage. The difference is due, from what i've read to the waves crossing at higher potential instead of at zero potential.

You said you scrapped the lighting circuit.  So, you never measured the output from it? Remember the output is AC until after the rectifier.
It appears you were using the shorter of the two windings to obtain charging voltage.

You added almost a third more wire per winding (nearly 1/3 more voltage out) and went to 3phase.
You have higher voltage because you are rectifying 3phase instead of single phase and because of more turns on the coil form.

Here's a little more information.  Took it from an explanation of building alternators for wind turbines.

The flux is the amount of magnetic field that fits inside a closed loop.  You don't need to know a number or measurement of flux directly, but I'll add that it is measured in "Webers" (named after Max Weber who studied it).  All we need is the electro-motive force that can be generated.  We measure EMF with our multi-meters as a voltage, but ONLY when no current flows.

The formula you need:

EMF = N*F*f*2       Where:

N = Number of turns in the coil
  F = the maximum Flux in the coil
  f  = frequency of change of polarity N-S

In the alternator, the poles pass N to S and N and so on.  One cycle N-S-N will flip the field direction, and hence the flux from N to S to N, and the EMF makes a sine wave.  Since the flux at the N pole was reduced to zero, then reversed to S, the total flux reversal is twice the amount Flux on one pole.  Each magnet is a pole, and most of these alternators have a dozen or so magnet poles.  Also, with increasing speed, the flux flips faster, and that makes much more EMF.

The other factor in the equation is N number of turns of wire.  Adding turns of wire increases the EMF (and open-circuit voltage).

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 09/05/13 at 22:48:01

Theres a sound from a cartoon that comes to mind.. Its the one used when the goofy guy gets hit in the head..I heard it while reading that post,, not that the post is silly or anything, just stretched my brain out & when it snapped back, everything went all wobbly,,

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 09/06/13 at 03:58:37

I felt the same way the first several times I read it.  Had to let it sink in slow, you know.  Took a while to get my head wrapped around it...now, it just makes sense.

I hope I didn't confuse David too bad.  It was meant to be informative.  He did say he wanted to know why.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 09/06/13 at 07:16:01

If you want the basic physics - Every time a conductor (the turn of wire in the coil) cuts a magnetic line of flux, an electromotive force (EMF) is generated. EMF is measured in volts. If there are more turns in series, more voltage is generated. So, more turns on the coil gives more voltage. If there are more flux lines (the magnetic field is stronger) more voltage is generated, since the coil cuts more lines. If the speed of the coil is increased it cuts more lines per unit time, so more voltage. This voltage is always alternating, even in so-called DC generators. The DC generator simply uses mechanical switching in the form of its commutator and brushes to rectify the AC into DC.

The magnetic field can be supplied by permanent magnets, the way most motorcycles do it. Or it can be supplied by electromagnets, the way is it usually done in automotive alternators. The magnetic field cannot be controlled using permanent magnets, so excess power is "wasted" in motorcycles. This is also why they are designed to produce only the amount of power needed. Electromagnets as in automotive alternators are controlled by the voltage regulator so as to make the alternator produce only what is needed. The complication is the need for brushes and slip rings to get the current into the electromagnets in the armature.

You probably don't want to know it, but these physics are why electric guitars tend to sound "twangy." The higher notes are produced by strings vibrating faster, thus cutting more of the magnetic lines from the pickup, thus generating higher voltage on higher notes.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #25 - 09/06/13 at 07:24:18

I knew we had to have someone who understands physics out here. Grin

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #26 - 09/06/13 at 09:57:58

Steve H wrote on 09/05/13 at 13:47:27:
David,

There are several considerations when winding 3phase and deciding what you want to get out of it.  Do you wind wye or delta? You wound wye from some of your following posts. When you rectify single phase, you get 1.44 times the AC voltage as DC.  When you rectify 3phase, you get 1.73 times AC voltage. The difference is due, from what i've read to the waves crossing at higher potential instead of at zero potential.

You said you scrapped the lighting circuit.  So, you never measured the output from it? Remember the output is AC until after the rectifier.
It appears you were using the shorter of the two windings to obtain charging voltage.

You added almost a third more wire per winding (nearly 1/3 more voltage out) and went to 3phase.
You have higher voltage because you are rectifying 3phase instead of single phase and because of more turns on the coil form.

Here's a little more information.  Took it from an explanation of building alternators for wind turbines.

The flux is the amount of magnetic field that fits inside a closed loop.  You don't need to know a number or measurement of flux directly, but I'll add that it is measured in "Webers" (named after Max Weber who studied it).  All we need is the electro-motive force that can be generated.  We measure EMF with our multi-meters as a voltage, but ONLY when no current flows.

The formula you need:

In the alternator, the poles pass N to S and N and so on.  One cycle N-S-N will flip the field direction, and hence the flux from N to S to N, and the EMF makes a sine wave.  Since the flux at the N pole was reduced to zero, then reversed to S, the total flux reversal is twice the amount Flux on one pole.  Each magnet is a pole, and most of these alternators have a dozen or so magnet poles.  Also, with increasing speed, the flux flips faster, and that makes much more EMF.

The other factor in the equation is N number of turns of wire.  Adding turns of wire increases the EMF (and open-circuit voltage).

Thanks!
I will try to answer each section you wrote here:

There are several considerations when winding 3phase and deciding what you want to get out of it.  Do you wind wye or delta? You wound wye from some of your following posts.

Yes I wound Wye

When you rectify single phase, you get 1.44 times the AC voltage as DC.  When you rectify 3phase, you get 1.73 times AC voltage. The difference is due, from what i've read to the waves crossing at higher potential instead of at zero potential.

You said you scrapped the lighting circuit.  So, you never measured the output from it?

I couldn't as coil was smoked (I had forgot to clip the AC Feed to the lights... when I added lighting circuit to DCV... actually I couldn't find it so I had to open Harness and locate

Remember the output is AC until after the rectifier.

The longer feed was attached to white/red stripe which was lighting circuit 40.5' from here it attached to yellow lead 23' (Charging) I ws under the impression that charging it uses the combined lengths
WRONG?

I ended up doing coil wraps side35'/by35'/side35' with 1/16th wall plastic between. I did alternate directions of wraps. Starting the same direction as original wrap. But I also went to 18ga wire instead of 20ga.

I was also told that the 7 wire Suzuki R/R ws way more then I needed as I was dealing with 4 magnets in Rotor (4 pole). So not to worry about creating to much of anything and smokin the R/R.

The formula you need:

The other factor in the equation is N number of turns of wire.  Adding turns of wire increases the EMF (and open-circuit voltage)

Hey everyone, First let me appologize! I know this is not a Suzuki 650/S40... But it is a Younger (Smaller Brother) Here I had to work this what we had.. Unless you has a Zillion Dollars to spend on Importing a Bigger Machine... you were stuck with what was here. Shocked I bet my 65 1/2" wheel base make it bigger... Cool

So If you nominate Me to be an Honorary Member... Grin Suzuki sent me some small chrome (ABOUT AN INCH HIGH) Badges the say "Suzuki" I believe they were from Auto line... Smiley

Also to the Professor out there who did such a wonderfull explaination... Yes I did understand every word! Wasn'rt so much differen't from the 2 Cyle Outboards I raced for 35 years  Grin

Thanks again!
David

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #27 - 09/07/13 at 19:29:44

Hi David,

The original double coil setup could have been used as a 2 phase charging system.  Or, much more common, the lighting coil just ran the lights and the other coil put out the charging power.

How did the coils terminate? Did the ends of both coils go to ground? Were the coils grounded in the middle between the two?

What you have come up with is 3 phases but with the phases at 0º (2) and at 180º (1).

Check the diagram.  Please forgive my drawing inabilities but you'll get the general idea. In order to get true 3phase, you need 3 separate magnetic field crossings at 120º apart. You have only 1 pickup with 3 windings with one winding 180º from the other two.  I am not sure what you would call this...maybe 3 single phases.

waves.jpg

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #28 - 09/07/13 at 19:40:40

A true 3phase will look something like this graphic.  You will note that the waves cross about 1/3 of the way up and down from center.  This is where the 1.73 instead of 1.44 comes from when you rectify 3phase.  The wave crossings are at potential instead of zero.

You should be getting roughly 3 times the wattage that you would with a single winding.  The additional voltage, I would have to say, is coming from the extra length of the coils since your waves are still crossing at 0 potential.

Did you ground the 3 ends that are together? If they are floating, you probably have two windings that are essentially in series when generating giving you double the voltage and one winding that is cancelling out against the other two.  If they are grounded, you should have essentially 3 single phases all working together to provide additional amperage at the voltage of any single coil.

I hope I'm making some sense here.  If anyone sees any flaw in what I am saying, please feel free to jump in and issue corrections.

3phase.jpg

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #29 - 09/07/13 at 20:00:46

I don't know about everybody else.  I don't care what you ride, long as you're riding and enjoying yourself.  I'm always happy to try to help anyone who wants it.  I think you've done a great job on the bike. Looks like you've put in a lot of time and effort to get where you are with it.

Are you getting enough wattage to charge the battery and run the lighting at a reasonable engine speed? Is this guy running points or is it electronic ignition?  I was just looking at the pics to see if there was a way to grab an extra coil form and try to get true 3phase out of it.  Doesn't look like the mounts are there. Looks like a magneto coil and the charging coil.  I've seen some bases that had additional mounts and the wiring could be different depending on the requirements of the bike.

Anyway, great work on the bike. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.