Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!! (Read 233 times)
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!
08/29/13 at 00:37:59

Hey Guys...
I have issue with Charging Battery (new Gel type 5Ma) Seems the best I can get is 11.4-8 VDC, until 4500 RPM then I get 12.4VDC. Same with or without Battery connected. Issue is bike is used for city rides, has Electric Start (new coil and starter too) so not to many stops and have to use "Old Faithful...(Kick Starter)"

I have spare (complete stator and coils) Ignition coil is OK. Charging/Lighting coil is Smoked! My stupidity... left yellow connected in harness to ACV when changing to total DCV for all components. Actually couldn't find it ... Got sidetracked by Cat and ...Smoked! Cool See Picture... You can also see room left on coil to add wire...

Now... All 12VAC goes only to R/R, So Stator coil only needs to consentrate on the issue of "Charging".

Can I rewrap Coil as is done in Suzuki 650?  3 coils all connected at one end (common point) and the other 3 ends going to new 7 wire R/R? (Yellow leads) Then connecting 1 of the 2 red (+) wires to original red wire. The other 1 going to Red (power feed) @ Starter relay. Then the remaining 2 Ground wires 1 to common harness ground wire lead and the other to Battery frame ground Connection.

??? Will it work?

Originally coil is wrapped as 2.
Lighting coil is from earth to yellow lead (40.5' of 20ga wire)
Charging coil is from Yellow lead to White/Red stripe lead (23' of 20ga wire)

I have plenty of room on coil frame to add (I did already to check...Insure I was correct. Agin see picture) additional wire I was able to safly add 75' and still clear magnetic wheel and base plate (1/4'3/8" clearance)

So if I wrap 3 coils and connect as 650 Suzuki does... (Can't seem to be able to add a second picture here, I will add a post explaining...

Question

1. can I wrap as layered as original was done here?
or
2. do I need to wrap side/by/side ? (Example: XX|XX|XX) I have room to do either.

Thus making all 3 coils 46.6'

Now last question I know to use 7 wire R/R. But is common connection on coils... Grounded? or is it floated?

This point will make a difference in how I start wrap!

Help Please!!

100_2039.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!
Reply #1 - 08/29/13 at 00:48:11

Here is the Suzuki 650 wiring to see my plan of attack Roll Eyes
David

sv650_color_wiring1_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/29/13 at 07:58:13

What is that?... it looks nothing like my stator... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/29/13 at 08:30:28

Yep, I don't know if we can be of any help.
doesn't look like a savage
doesn't walk like a savage
and doesn't smell like a savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/29/13 at 08:49:37

Nope....not Savage.  When you start talking lighting coil and charging coil.....you are talking Old School Enduro stuff.

You probably are just better off buying a used one......for whatever it fits if it is a common bike.  If it is from something rare.....then maybe it is worth rewinding - but I know nothing about how to do that.

« Last Edit: 08/29/13 at 18:12:55 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #5 - 08/29/13 at 09:14:18

Thanks Dave!

Bike was a 1998 Suzuki Crystal RC110Y Electric Start. Bike got the front end backed over. Was able to salvage 100% of the electrical and engine. Had in mothballs till I got the style frame built I wanted, then  set engine. Runs good! extremely well as I had taken the time to Bore and clean up exhaust and Intake. Rejetted engine and used the bigger 125cc exhaust (went from 7/8 OD tube to 1" ID tube, expansion chamber and can.

My issue is it charges just like suppose to do... But I don't want to run around town in 2nd gear @ 4000+ RPM. Understand?

I know how to wrap the coil, I just wanted a HONEST 2nd opinion (English Speaking One - Since I am in Thailand) if they though doing as diagram shows and going from 20ga to 18ga would increase charging rate @ lower RPM. So I used the pictures I did. I know the regulator in this rectifier combo will handle any excess voltage created, not worried there.

Also I want to thank you for your response!! I know it doesn't look like, act like, SMELL like a Savage, so tell your Mod's I agree with them 100% It smells sweeter... 2T oil and 95 octane... close your eyes and Dream. Engine actually is cleaner in Emmissions then when it was new. Engine was worth salvaging... Electric Start... Less then 16,000 KM's... Check the Pic... Good solid ride, actually I can change Bars and becomes a Bobber. Can move rear brake and shift to rear of bike also... Cool

Again, Dave thanks for your Reply!
(Guess I'm the only one "Old School")
David

100_2044.JPG
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 08/29/13 at 13:37:24

I know for sure we have had threads on re-winding the savage (consensus- not worth it).

I don't recall who was the expert. I do remember them saying that the Suzuki did all they could with the space allotted. So for a savage, going to a larger gauge, meant fewer windings, which equaled a zero-sum game.  Of course I have no clue how that translates to your bike.

Good luck, its a great looking bike.   Cool

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 08/29/13 at 15:00:47

More windings will increase the voltage.  Thicker wire, the amperage. A combination of both will increase voltage and amperage.  

Unfortunately, I am not a physicist, can't tell you how much or anything like that.  Sounds like you need your charging voltage to kick in around 2500 or so?  Somewhere around half what it is now.  Might smoke the regulator/rectifier if you wind it up.

Good luck with it.  Check out the guys over at fieldlines.com.  they wind coils for power generating windmills.  I know I've seen instructions on how to determine voltage per turn of wire and rpm, etc.  They are usually a great bunch and someone might be able to help you.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #8 - 08/30/13 at 00:19:17

Pine wrote on 08/29/13 at 13:37:24:
I know for sure we have had threads on re-winding the savage (consensus- not worth it).

I don't recall who was the expert. I do remember them saying that the Suzuki did all they could with the space allotted. So for a savage, going to a larger gauge, meant fewer windings, which equaled a zero-sum game.  Of course I have no clue how that translates to your bike.

Good luck, its a great looking bike.   Cool

Thanks for the compliment on the Bike! Issue was here for years that bikes found here were under 150cc, then it gained to 200 and 250 as they were built here. Import tax on anything else to get here is 300% . Asean being afiliated here with all SE Asia Country and a few over Seas will eliminate this issue, alot of us can't wait! The only way arround this tax was to prove ownership for the last 5 years and show current title/license and Insurance. Then they look at you and ask "And... Why are you here then?" Most Immigration and Customs Officers don't have a clue... Lips Sealed

I answer... "I have a Wife and Family here, Anything more?" I ask in Thai and get suprised look on their face... Otherwise they still try to find issue to level a Bill (Fine) to collect more money (Duty) to "Save Face" with their superiors... Grin

I love this Country...... Roll Eyes

If you find Big Bike you can take USA Price x 2.5 or even 3 and get close to asking price here in Thailand. Example: If I bought Chopper from Orange County for $40,000 USD, here price would be equiv. to $110,000- $120,000 USD! Because they can, not Dealership.. They qwn Bikes They Imported them.. Crazy! So waiting 5 years, paying each year to get required tags. Leaves Money $$$ in your Pocket!

So in the meantime I recycled and created my own! Grin
David

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #9 - 08/30/13 at 00:29:45

Steve H wrote on 08/29/13 at 15:00:47:
More windings will increase the voltage.  Thicker wire, the amperage. A combination of both will increase voltage and amperage.  

Unfortunately, I am not a physicist, can't tell you how much or anything like that.  Sounds like you need your charging voltage to kick in around 2500 or so?  Somewhere around half what it is now.  Might smoke the regulator/rectifier if you wind it up.

Good luck with it.  Check out the guys over at fieldlines.com.  they wind coils for power generating windmills.  I know I've seen instructions on how to determine voltage per turn of wire and rpm, etc.  They are usually a great bunch and someone might be able to help you.

Thanks Steve, this was exactly, what I was looking for...
"More windings will increase the voltage.  Thicker wire, the amperage. A combination of both will increase voltage and amperage."

As far as smoking Rectifier/Regulator it is built to handle 6-11 pole systems. My 3 coil wrap even at a starting point of 2500 system will get ample wattage and volts to get above battery Voltage and maintain 12.5-12.8 VDC Regulator will and can dump the extra... If I run around with lights on... there won't be much to worry about anyway! This was or started as a "Far-out but Conceivable Idea from a Major Bike Manufacturer in America" Even after he Retired...  Cool
Thanks W.  

David

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Stators and Rectifier / Regulators Discussion
Reply #10 - 09/03/13 at 12:05:40

This seems to be an issue at time with everyone, including myself. Someone explain how to boost Amperage and Voltage at lower RPM?

I hve rewrapped My Lighting/Charing coil, going from a single phase rotor to 3 phase. Originally coil was wrapped with 2 coils. Lighting coil was 40.5' in length and Charging coil was 25'. I eliminated the use for the lighting coil as I switched everything to 12VDC. 12VAC only goes to rectifier.

I wrapped coil with 3 seperate coils 35' each. Wrapped them the same as original was done layering them and switching direction of each layer. Now I have a 3-phase stator coil.(3 outputs, all tied together and floated at other ends.) Why is voltage higher (also went from 20ga to 18ga wire)? and Amp gauge now shows 12.5VDC @ 1500 rpm? before I hd to be @ 4000rpm to get even 12.4VDC.

What did I do that corrected my issue, "Charging battery intown driving" Before Voltage was 11.8VDC from idle to 4000 RPM...?

Maybe someone can explain so others having this issue or simular can hve some insight.

I posted a picture of original coils on Stator... Oh... I also went to a 7 wire R/R it has dual red leads and dual ground leads / 3 yellow wire connections...
David

100_2039_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 09/03/13 at 15:39:26

Your voltage is higher because you have more turns of wire (length of wire)on the coil form per leg.  It is also higher because it's 3 phase being rectified to DC. You get a higher voltage out when rectifying 3-phase.

Your amperage is up because of the thicker wire.

To increase voltage, increase magnetic flux density, amount of wire in the coil, or speed of magnet passing.

To increase amperage, increase magnetic flux density or thickness of wire. Note that a certain wire size will only carry a certain amount of amperage before heating and burning out.  You have to balance the amperage out with the size of the wire so you don't burn out your coils.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/03/13 at 22:09:05

I scorched my insulation just reading that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #13 - 09/03/13 at 23:15:49

Steve H wrote on 09/03/13 at 15:39:26:
Your voltage is higher because you have more turns of wire (length of wire)on the coil form per leg.  It is also higher because it's 3 phase being rectified to DC. You get a higher voltage out when rectifying 3-phase.

Your amperage is up because of the thicker wire.

To increase voltage, increase magnetic flux density, amount of wire in the coil, or speed of magnet passing.

To increase amperage, increase magnetic flux density or thickness of wire. Note that a certain wire size will only carry a certain amount of amperage before heating and burning out.  You have to balance the amperage out with the size of the wire so you don't burn out your coils.

Steve
I agree that amps is up because of increased wire size. But Voltage? Before the longest coil wrap was 40.5' the other 25'. Now they are both 35'. Is the voltage increase because there is 3 coils now instead of the 2? I know this gives me a total length of 105' against where it was 65'??
David

IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #14 - 09/03/13 at 23:24:15

davidstipek wrote on 08/29/13 at 00:37:59:
Hey Guys...
I have issue with Charging Battery (new Gel type 5Ma) Seems the best I can get is 11.4-8 VDC, until 4500 RPM then I get 12.4VDC. Same with or without Battery connected. Issue is bike is used for city rides, has Electric Start (new coil and starter too) so not to many stops and have to use "Old Faithful...(Kick Starter)"

I have spare (complete stator and coils) Ignition coil is OK. Charging/Lighting coil is Smoked! My stupidity... left yellow connected in harness to ACV when changing to total DCV for all components. Actually couldn't find it ... Got sidetracked by Cat and ...Smoked! Cool See Picture... You can also see room left on coil to add wire...

Now... All 12VAC goes only to R/R, So Stator coil only needs to consentrate on the issue of "Charging".

Can I rewrap Coil as is done in Suzuki 650?  3 coils all connected at one end (common point) and the other 3 ends going to new 7 wire R/R? (Yellow leads) Then connecting 1 of the 2 red (+) wires to original red wire. The other 1 going to Red (power feed) @ Starter relay. Then the remaining 2 Ground wires 1 to common harness ground wire lead and the other to Battery frame ground Connection.

??? Will it work?

Originally coil is wrapped as 2.
Lighting coil is from earth to yellow lead (40.5' of 20ga wire)
Charging coil is from Yellow lead to White/Red stripe lead (23' of 20ga wire)

I have plenty of room on coil frame to add (I did already to check...Insure I was correct. Agin see picture) additional wire I was able to safly add 75' and still clear magnetic wheel and base plate (1/4'3/8" clearance)

So if I wrap 3 coils and connect as 650 Suzuki does... (Can't seem to be able to add a second picture here, I will add a post explaining...

Question

1. can I wrap as layered as original was done here?
or
2. do I need to wrap side/by/side ? (Example: XX|XX|XX) I have room to do either.

Thus making all 3 coils 46.6'

Now last question I know to use 7 wire R/R. But is common connection on coils... Grounded? or is it floated?

This point will make a difference in how I start wrap!

Help Please!!

I ended up doing this:
3 coils layered

/>>>>35'>>>>Yellow lead
Soldered   X[/s]<<<<35'<<<<=Yellow lead
               \ >>>>35'>>>>=Yellow lead
Seems to be working great now! Wonder why wasn't strung-up this way in beginning? Maybe Technology not here yet? I can't believe that as Production is always 4-6 years behind development!
David

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:29:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rewinding Stator.. Help Please!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.