My first Savage ride (Read 138 times)
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
My first Savage ride
08/28/13 at 19:18:20

After securing title, plates, and insurance, I picked up the 2002 Savage I bought last week for $1400.  I'll get a photo up when it's daylight and I can take a decent one.

It's stock except for Suz-branded saddlebags and a smoke-tinted shield.  Also had the raptor mod done already.  I turned over 6K miles on the way home.  Drove it about 40 miles.

My overall first impression is overwhelmingly positive.  I like this bike.  A lot.

As a sportbike type, I was worried I wouldn't like the seating position.  In fact, the more I rode it, the less cramped I felt, just a matter of getting used to it.  I had gone to Lowe's yesterday for the requisite #7 bottle stoppers and 6mm bolts, figuring I'd do the seat mod as soon as it got in the garage.  I probably will still do it, but I don't feel a real hurry to do so.

I had thought I'd be going "low and slow".  It was low, but I spent quite a bit of time going not-so-slow.  This thing pulls forever in 3rd gear, every time I glanced down at the speedo on the city streets, I was doing 10 mph over the limit.

Compared to the Kaw GPz, I'm hardly using the gearbox. The thing feels like it will happily putter along all day.

I threw everything at it- potholed city streets, winding country roads, two separate Interstate blasts- the Savage handled it all with aplomb.

The Suz handles the urban guerrilla role much better than my old Kaw does, the Kaw is a bit too stiff for the city streets.  And it's decent on the freeways as well.  Not nearly as buzzy as I thought it would be.

I find it hard to get the turn signal switch back to center, it seems to always go too far and signal the other direction.  And I'm going to want a tach.  A fuel gauge would be nice as well.  The ignition key is in a ridiculous location.  But these are all just minor gripes.  

My speedo is about 5 degrees off kilter, seems like the dial turned in the bezel.  Or maybe the whole unit did.

Overall, the bike is everything I'd hoped it would be.  I'll do a few things to "make it mine", but mostly I envision my Savage staying bone stock. Cool

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: My first Savage ride
Reply #1 - 08/28/13 at 19:55:14

Thumbs up civil! These little critter will amaze ya. Those that have never put some saddle time on one can't understand the potential. I agree on keeping one close to stock for a while but as time goes by you'll want to "make it your own". As far as the comparison to the sporty bikes, my experience was years ago on the old Brit bikes(Triumph,BSA,Norton,etc.)when they were "cafe racers". This bike will do most anything they would,and with more style AND comfort!

Enjoy!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/29/13 at 03:11:37

The turn signal cancels by pushing the button straight in......is that what you are doing to cancel the signal?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #3 - 08/29/13 at 03:52:41

Quote:
The turn signal cancels by pushing the button straight in......is that what you are doing to cancel the signal?

No, I was flipping the lever back the other way!  Thanks for the tip!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 08/29/13 at 04:48:32

civilsavage wrote on 08/29/13 at 03:52:41:
Quote:

No, I was flipping the lever back the other way!  Thanks for the tip!

As I was reading that, I was thinking the pre-2005 models must have had a slider, cause mine has a button (its a 2006).  Can't remember that detail of my son's 87.  

Glad you enjoyed the ride!  Be sure to post up some pics when you can.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 08/29/13 at 06:10:14

Welcome to the fold! Great write up.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 08/29/13 at 17:25:44

Yeah...the older ones have a slide and you have to push it back to the middle

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #7 - 08/29/13 at 17:29:42

Quote:
the older ones have a slide and you have to push it back to the middle

Yes, it's a slide switch.  Tough to find the middle on the thing.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/29/13 at 17:40:46

Welcome Civil, and gratz on the bike!   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #9 - 08/29/13 at 19:13:01

Here's a few shots, although they're in the flourescent light of the garage and really don't do it justice.  And shot with my cellphone to boot . . .

And, after checking bolts and just generally taking some time with the bike, reading some items in the service manual, I started looking at that stock seat height.  Then I looked over at the workbench, where I had the rubber stoppers I had bought.  Then looked back at the bike . . .

OK, you all know where this is going . . .

I used 6 X 60mm, but they didn't have hex-heads at Lowe's, so I got phillips-style panhead ones instead.  I also sandwiched the stopper between 2 flat fender washers.  It's an inch and  some change higher.

Haven't ridden it yet with the seat mod, as some barley-based beverage products were consumed during modification activities.  But it definitely feels a bit roomier.

And thanks to all here who contributed to the seat mod thread(s).  It would never have occurred to me to do this in the first place, and I can't engineer my way out of a paper bag, so I appreciated all the tutorials. Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/29/13 at 21:58:01

Don't worry... the second ride will be better... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 08/30/13 at 06:26:46

Looky.. someone stole my bike and put a windshield on it!

WE have good looking bikes!  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/30/13 at 06:34:49

Even as far back as my 98 model, the turn signal switch has a center button. Tap it to cancel the signal.

I modified a Kawasaki VN800A seat to use on my Savage. Still need to make a rear anchor plate for it. Overall much higher quality than the stock unit.

Mine was stock from 2/98 until either spring of 2000 or spring of 2001. Now, nowhere near like it was originally. Stock basically got to be so dull that it was turn it into something else or get rid of it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 08/30/13 at 09:55:27

Nice looking bike.  Ride and enjoy the miles of smiles that come with it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #14 - 08/30/13 at 13:48:06

Tomorrow comes the big test- 200+ miles up to the mountains of PA, to our weekend place for the Labor Day weekend.

The forecast is a bit iffy, so I need to go buy me a new rainsuit to shove into the saddlebag.  Bringing the rainsuit is the key to ensuring good weather!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:41:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first Savage ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.