Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement! (Read 486 times)
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Re: Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement!
Reply #15 - 09/13/13 at 11:34:47

I bought these (Cortech 2.0 36L saddlebags):

http://www.cortechperformance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=380

They touch the shocks a bit but you can get em pretty high on the back so they don't touch much.  My biggest concern was the bags pushing on the turn lights, but I didn't have any problems and don't forsee that being a problem now that I've used them. I secured it in the back by the fender, running it under the turn lights.  They're awesome bags, my only complaint is the rain covers are definitely challenging to get on in the rain!  I love the outside pockets.

the world is my oyster and the road is my throne...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 09/16/13 at 15:17:15

hey deejay...
How was the fit? Did you have to do anything with the shocks you bought like new eyelets or anything?
btw...if I bought some on ebay does anyone know what eyelet kit should I then order from progressive?
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/18/13 at 21:34:29

Can somebody explain progressive shocks to me? What are the advantages/disadvantages. Also I'm a fatty about 260lbs what size would i get and are any mods required to install?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 09/19/13 at 08:38:58

The stock Suzuki shocks are not very good....Suzuki probably didn't pay more than $ 25 a pair to have them made.

Progressive shocks are made in several different models......$ 200 to more than $ 600 a pair.  They have more travel, better valving, and lots of different spring rates available.  When spending this kind of money,  a "One Size Fits All" approach does not work and the shocks need to be selected based on your ridings style (single/double), your weight, and the kind of roads you ride on.

You need to do some reading of old posts, try the Search function or scan through the old posts, and look in the Index for the Tech Section.  If this doesn't help....start your own thread as many may not see what you have posted in this thread.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 09/19/13 at 20:31:19

Is this correct?  Are progressives a brand as opposed to a different model so to speak.  How do they compare to the vs 800 shocks?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 09/19/13 at 23:40:38

"Progressive" is a term, referring to a graduated spring rate... giving some soft travel and some stiffer...
It is also a brand name... (they don't own the concept,... just the name)...
You can see shocks with graduated springs... they are springs that start with narrow spacing and increase to wider...
I personally think Progressive brand are excellent, but overpriced...
Most shocks now, are progressive... it's just a matter of finding the right firmness for your bike and weight,... and choosing how much travel you want...
More travel is always better... within the limits of swingarm design (12.5" on our Savages)... but, many don't like the look...
Then there is spring rate... (figure your average load,.. and err on the lighter side)... the more travel you use, the more you take advantage of the extra travel...

More length is better,.. less rate is better... (as long as it supports your load)...

I have Intruder shocks...12.25"...  they come from a heavier bike, so I expected them to be firm... they aren't... I have them set on the firmest position, and I am 145lbs...(must be the angle of the mounting)...
I do love them... but I wouldn't recommend for regular two-up riding...

... but,.. don't over buy the spring rate... you are killing the advantage if you aren't using the full travel most of the time...
JMHO... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 09/20/13 at 06:25:04

Here is a link to the best online supplier that I have found for "Progressive" brand shocks.  You have to know what you want to buy....if you use their guide for the stock S40 or LS650 you will be getting a stock height replacement....which may not be the best approach.  If you know specifically what you want and are patient, you can also find good deals on eBay.

http://www.jcmotors.com/c-1262-shocks-suspension.aspx#Ma141|

You can also find take off shocks on eBay that are not "Progressive" brand, but are better shocks than stock....but once again youd need to know what fits and works.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #22 - 09/20/13 at 19:36:24

Thanks for the insight.  All I know is that I would prefer something a bit longer to give more distance between the tire and the fender.  Also, something to give a smoother ride on unfriendly terrain.  I'll need to do a lot more studying.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #23 - 09/23/13 at 07:07:57

First ride of the bike with the progressive suspension 412's installed ( to work). Much improved ride. Little bumps are not bothersome at all. Larger bumps still harsh, but there seems to be greater control of the bike. This may be partially due to the elevation of the rear which then put more weight on the front. This may change when I  get my tool in, so I can adjust the shocks for a softer ride. (currently set to most stiff).

The bike is much more rider friendly, which is an odd statement to make about a bike that is already very rider friendly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 03:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.