Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement! (Read 486 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement!
08/28/13 at 17:15:17

I just got my progressive shocks installed on my bike and I gotta just post here for anyone considering it: WOW!  What a difference it makes.  Honestly, the stock shocks didn't feel so bad to me but I'm gearing up for a big road trip so I figured I'd upgrade.  Riding around the streets of Denver I kept going "Did they improve this road since I was last on it?"

I ended up aiming for bumps and cracks in the pavement to try and feel them... sometimes I could but sometimes I wasn't sure if I missed them or what.  So smooth!

My corbin seat should be here in about a week too and I'm super excited for my S40 to be fully worthy for some long-haul trips!

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement!
Reply #1 - 08/28/13 at 18:30:44

Can you tell us what the Progressive model no. is and the length?  I'm thinking of upgrading to Progressives.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #2 - 08/28/13 at 18:32:26

Where you trip'n?

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/28/13 at 18:54:05

are there progressive shocks that would suit a Bobber? (ie. not raise the back)

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #4 - 08/28/13 at 19:18:03

engineer wrote on 08/28/13 at 18:30:44:
Can you tell us what the Progressive model no. is and the length?  I'm thinking of upgrading to Progressives.  

I got the 412-4201C 11.5" from JC Motors.  Highly recommended, both the model and the seller.

Here's the direct link to what I got:

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-14906-progressive-suspension-412-series-115-chrome-...

Quote:
Where you trip'n?

Point A to Point B is Denver (where I've been this month and where I bought the S40) back to my home of San Francisco.  I'm taking vacation time and doing a wandering route home.  I don't have the whole thing planned out, since I sorta think that's the best way to do it.  I have a few objectives, though.

* Hit as many national parks as possible: Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Big Basin, and Yosemite
* Stay off the interstates whenever possible to soak up the scenery
* Prioritize enjoying the moment over any mileage target.  No stress about progress, milestones, pace, or setting iron butt records.

Other than that, I'm planning to just be a guy and his S40.  I'm highly excited.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #5 - 08/28/13 at 19:19:47

savagebob wrote on 08/28/13 at 18:54:05:

Oh and as for this, I was hard pressed to notice the back getting raised up.  In fact if I hadn't read about it here I probably wouldn't have noticed it.  But since I knew the back was higher I looked for it and the best I could do was say "Oh... I guess it used to be lower..."  But the bike's profile doesn't look weirdly high to me.  Looks and feels totally normal in the saddle, just a lot smoother of a ride.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #6 - 08/28/13 at 22:18:59

Rock on! Just don't run out of gas!

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #7 - 08/28/13 at 23:12:31

Can I ask what saddlebags you've got in that photo?

I was originally thinking of going super minimal with just a Kriega US20 bag and staying in motels along the way.  But I've previously done bicycle touring and I have this great super compact tent and camping gear that I could bring if I add a set of saddlebags so now I'm reconsidering.

I've seen these talked about on the forums and I love their look but I wouldn't know the first thing about mounting them:

http://www.xelementgear.com/p/Shop-Xelement-Motorcycle-Saddlebags/Xelement-29...

Is it complicated to do?

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #8 - 08/29/13 at 16:06:59

The saddlebags I have are made by a company called Saddleman. They are from their Express Drifter series. They are alright. I keep all my rain gear in one and my trip'n equipment in another. They came with a throw over option so you can mount them with a strap under your rear seat, but I took that off and made some solid aluminum brackets and bolted the bags to them. I also added an aluminum backing plate to make them extra sturdy, as the plastic backing plate it comes with is said to brake over time. So was it easy? Lol, I with all the modifications I made, I certainly created myself a ton of work. But they don't budge and have held up real nice!  Grin

If you do the throw over option, just make sure you get the brackets that keep the bags from swinging into your tire. There are lots of universal kits out there.

Just keep in mind too that the shock on the left side of the s40 sticks out a lot more than the one on the right. So make sure you have enough clearance!  Shocked

I also used PVC pipes as extra storage. Since my aluminum mounting brackets were large enough, I was able to just bungie cord stuff on top of them. In the picture, you can see a black tube on either side of my seat above my saddle bags. I used a leather like material and made cases for them. Worked great for holding a huge giant beating stick maglight I slept with every night, and a few tin cans of food.

Yeah, bungie cords rock. I think I used like 16 - 18 all over my bike that trip. Get some!   Wink

MPGs please
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/29/13 at 17:32:20

savagebob wrote on 08/28/13 at 18:54:05:

I've seen 412 style progressive shocks staring at 11" on EBAY   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/29/13 at 21:55:17

There's no substitute for travel... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
fsfishnchips
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/12/13 at 21:57:30

will better shocks makes a difference for rider weights less than 150 lbs?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 09/13/13 at 04:29:50

From what I've read shocks with lower progression numbers are better suited for lighter riders.

For example on older dual rate progressive shocks the spring rate recommendations are as follows-
*60/90 for guys under 200 lbs.
*70/100 for guys 200 to 220 lbs.
*80/110 for guys over 220 lbs.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Reply #13 - 09/13/13 at 08:11:58

a little late to this party- but i bought the cortech saddlebags and they worked great for my trip. i didn't even need brackets. they attached easily to the top of the shocks and wrapped around the back .  i threw a duffel bag on top of em and bungeed it to the sissy bar. lots of room.  the great thing about the cortech saddlebads is they expand if needed. i will probably buy the rest of the cortech luggage set for next season. i bought mine at performance cycle on broadway (if you're still in town).  they'll let you take the bags outside and try them on your bike before buying them.

the world is my oyster and the road is my throne...
  IP Logged
fsfishnchips
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/13/13 at 11:09:23

Hi sarahkhas,

Which cortech model # did you buy ?

The stock brackets are rubbing against my tire since I accidentally upgraded the sidewall height Sad

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378453259

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:18:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Progressive Shocks: Another WOW endorsement!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.