Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil changes (Read 89 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Oil changes
08/28/13 at 11:53:14

Hi all,quick introduction my name is Steph ( as in Stephen not Stephanie ) I'm from Chester in the UK. I have just bought my first single cylinder after deciding on giving up the fast life , I'm 55 but unfortunately act like a teenager at times. Glad I've bumped into you all cos I've found nothing beats experience when it comes to advice ( I think most manuals etc tend to live in a perfect world and we know that ain't happening)Anyway first of many Q's - does anyone know if Petronas syntium 4sx 10w 40w oil would be any good for the engine? Cheers everyone,Steph ( I did do a search for best oil for bike but nothing appeared )

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Oil changes
Reply #1 - 08/28/13 at 12:14:35

Not sure what you have across the pond, but check out this link as a starting point of what is recommended over here...
Cool
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/28/13 at 12:16:46

Here is a start.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

The oil you listed will be fine since it's designed for motorcycles. Be careful asking what oil is best around here, it will start an oil war.  Wink  Basically use any oil that states it meets JASO-MA standards on the bottle. Avoid regular automotive oils because they cause a wet clutch to slip due to the anti-friction additives in them.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 08/28/13 at 13:10:12

Many thanks for the replies.EJID I'll check the ones you mentioned, like you say what they call it in the USofA might not be what its called in this country.  I know what you mean12Bravo, if you ask what's the best oil,brakes,plugs etc most will end up in an argument  Smiley anyway glad the oil I've got will do the job for now,cheers all, Steve

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/28/13 at 15:40:08

Use it since you have it, but find something more vintage for the next change. It meets API SM rating, you really need to use SJ or older to ensure the camshaft and followers don't get scrubbed flat. SJ is getting harder to find, but it is out there. Stop at a tractor trailer supply house, find out what U.K. oil is the same as USA/Australia spec Rotella 15W40.

Guess I'm the only USA Savage owner who looked it up so far...  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:40:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil changes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!