LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Suspension
08/26/13 at 06:07:45

I just finished reading an article in the Sep/Oct issue of Motorcycle Classics magazine on upgrading the suspension of an '83 Laverda RGS1000.  It seems that the type of suspension it has, as mentioned in the article, is similar to the type of suspension we have on the LS650, being an '80's model design from the beginning and continuing to date.
They did a whole hog upgrade and spent all 4 pocket-fulls of $$ to do it, but a lot of it was optional.  A very good upgrade could be done for just 1 pocket-full.  The result of their upgrade was a bike that handles as good as can be had today.  

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-motorcycle-repair/vintage-ride-mode...

"The updates we did completely transformed the Laverda. At the front, damping is now controlled and predictable. Brake dive has been mostly eliminated, rebound control is excellent and pogoing has been rendered a thing of the past, all significantly improving rider confidence."
"The ride quality is now excellent, and the increase in contact and control front and rear has made the Laverda so much more satisfying. It now rides and performs the way I always wanted it to, but clearly couldn’t because of inherent limitations in suspension design and function. Is it worth the expense? Absolutely. If you ride a lot and want a lot out of your classic, upgrading your suspension is some of the best money you’ll ever spend."

Take a look at the article; very interesting stuff and certainly seems doable on our platform.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Suspension
Reply #1 - 08/26/13 at 09:20:34

Okay, so who's gonna be first...
Personally, I've been having a hard time justifying progressive rears...haven't found that smoking ebay deal...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/26/13 at 10:30:05

progressives on the rear have been done many times over... get with the program.   Grin

We have a bushing at least on our slider, so hard anodizing not necessary.
cartridge emulator might be a good upgrade.
some have swapped the spring, I know RYCA does.
and I know many have changed the fork oil wt.

Unfortunately, the article does not go thru the decision process of selecting upgrades.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/26/13 at 13:27:37

I've got Progressive shocks on my LS's and another set waiting to go on the Sporty.  I've had them on REX for years and DOOO like them.  The purple LS has 412's and REX has 418's. The Progressive springs I got from Ryca just after my crash 2 years ago finally got installed recently when I swapped the engine from the '96 to an '86 frame to get the carb back into the stock position behind the engine.  Those springs went into a donor front end from an '05 parts bike.  

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 08/26/13 at 13:33:52

So if I was to get progressives for my '06 what should i be looking for?
I like the geometry pretty much like it is, weigh only 145/5'9" and occasionally ride 2-up but not very often.
I understand that the Volusia 800 is a direct swap yes? Eyelets and all?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/26/13 at 15:14:55

Bubba wrote on 08/26/13 at 13:33:52:
So if I was to get progressives for my '06 what should i be looking for?
I like the geometry pretty much like it is, weigh only 145/5'9" and occasionally ride 2-up but not very often.
I understand that the Volusia 800 is a direct swap yes? Eyelets and all?

Pay attention to the length, I think those are 12" or so.
If you like the current height, the stocks are 10.5", but I'd go with 11"
the 10.5 only have 1.5" travel, but 11 and above have 2"

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/26/13 at 15:21:11

thx! much appreciated...

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #7 - 08/26/13 at 21:08:54

Gonna jump in here since I'm a major proponent of proper suspension setup.

I think we're getting to an area were you need to decide what your bike will be used for. Expensive shocks are "cool" but are you really going to need them? On the rear, I say absolutly, go for broke. Just make sure they're tuned for your weight and riding style. On the front, well, this bike is a cruiser. At most, I'd go with upgraded springs and toy with oil weight. Cartridge emulators do work great, but the price out weighs the benefit on this style of bike. Now, if you're goin' Ryca on it, you might consider the higher end upgrades on the front.

This is just the way I see it....your results may vary.

For what it's worth, I'm gonna try the Gazi Hyper Lites on the rear. Fully adjustable, rebuildable, piggyback reservoir, and bitchin' lime green decals!  Cheesy

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/26/13 at 21:35:26

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/27/13 at 04:22:01

Well an off question about rear suspension more related to RYCA/café conversion LS650's since we're on the subject.  Obviously the LS650 is a cruiser, but as to all the café style conversions would repositioning the rear shock more upright enhance the rear suspension at all?  Just about all standard/café style bikes seem to have a more upright angle to their rear shocks Triumph's, BSA's, CB's .........    What little engineering background I have is more along structural integrity not mechanical functionality, but could that angle make a noticeable difference?

I hope you don't mind me using a pic of your sweet ride Dave  Wink

Daves_Cafe_more_upright_rear_suspension.jpg

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/27/13 at 05:18:20

I think the evolution of the rear shocks being angled is for additional travel.  When the shocks are fully upright and mounted at the rear axle every inch of rear axle travel compresses the shocks 1".  As bike builders wanted more travel they started moving the shocks forward on the swing arm and putting an angle in the shocks to get more rear axle travel with less shock travel.  Eventually this evolved into monoshocks with compound linkages to get a foot of travel on some bikes!

I think one of the reasons that Cafe' racers have more vertical shocks....is that they are based on 60's and 70's motocrycles.....not because it works better.

I am well pleased with how my bike handles.....it rides so much better than it did stock.  I have 13.5" Progressive shocks in the back.  On the front I installed a 1/2" spacer to drop the forks, then I used RM400 triple clamps that allowed me to drop the sliders 1-1/2".  For my weight this setup seems to work really well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/27/13 at 10:24:00

Dave wrote on 08/27/13 at 05:18:20:
I am well pleased with how my bike handles.....it rides so much better than it did stock.  

Glad to hear that you are happy with the way it turned out, it's a sweet bike!  I guess any Tom Foolery thoughts of relocating the rear shock mounts aren't worth pursuing. I've been starting to collect parts for the winter in preparation of tearing my scoot apart and rebuilding her.   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suspension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.