Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
When a hard drive goes bad .... (Read 257 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: When a hard drive goes bad ....
Reply #30 - 08/30/13 at 08:32:31

You will find that DOS, Unix and Linux all have some basic things that all use the same sorts of designations.

Linux command line is quite complete since it continued the development of Unix while DOS aborted early on and went to windows.

Linux handles "slowly failing hard drives" fairly well, simply dodging the bad areas and continuing to work far past the error levels that Windows can tolerate.    

If your boot sector goes south of course, all bets are off.   If she can't boot, she can't run.

I am attempting to fix my wife's Vista laptop (hard drive attacked by something again)  --  and I have set my white box up as a test station for Linux and LibreOffice so she can kick the tires of going over to Linux.

So far she admits that Windows isn't reliable in the University world she lives in, and she hates all the restrictions IT puts on the machinery simply to try to keep it working.   She admits that LibreOffice is "useable" and the controls are very similar to Office 2003 (her last drop menu and task bar Office type interface).

But she is very leery of losing her Windows based MS Office and is very leery of using anything else as some of her compatriots have tried to go Mac in the past and gotten "no-get-over" issues with Word for Mac --- translation and formatting issues with complex reports and papers, etc.

Some of these formatting and translation issues resulted in grade mark downs and student protests over "My paper didn't have that improper indent in it, see, here is my printed copy ..."

So I am sitting here again, battling to get her Vista machine back for the umpteenth time.

Angry       "I can't take a Linux laptop to work.  Computer Services would have a whole litter of kittens and be emailing my department head if they ever even saw it running in my office ....."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 08/31/13 at 03:25:13

What does it take to get a Vista Machine running again after the latest malware attack?    It was a boot sector attack and an erase/rewrite attack on critical OS files .... a nasty one.  

Hold F8 during booting, enter into the relatively unadvertised Vista deep DOS level repair program, go into advanced options, go into disk options, trigger a low level reformat tool.

(chkdsk has gotten SO much more ornate over the years, it actually calls home to MS using DOS over the internet now to get a replacment file for what it finds has been corrupted on the machine, since the on-machine backup files were likely rewritten by the attack also).

Got it running again and next day when I shut it down MS Update had downloaded an entire replacment set of fresh OS root system files AND a completely retuned & redone MS Security Essentials.   568 separate OS low level systems files and a completely changed more powerful MS anti-crapware.   It was a small service pack.

Something tells me I wasn't the only person hit with this exploit, if MS had to do up an entire update service package to handle it.

Anyway, wife's big Vista laptop is back in full service again .....  after having to set up her backup XP machine for full use and seeing all the MS only stuff she requires I have to say (again) that there are some jobs that really do totally lock people into MS products and they cannot EVER EVER leave MS products until after they retire.   University profs are some of those people.

(she looks at my old Linux machine whistfully since it is easy to use, it always runs and it simply doesn't have all that complicated BS on it at all.  She knows this because she uses it when her stuff gets sick and I am busy setting up a replacement machine for her)

Hours spent to get her Vista laptop running again (spread over 4 days) 7.5  hours of my active keyboard time  (not counting all the hours of MS download time at night and the dead time while the machine was repeatedly grinding through the low level checks).

Microsoft SUX ----- their software is buggy and still has lots of security holes in it and there are too too many teenage programmers are out there learning how to crapify it.

Keeping MS machines running SUX ----- and it can be expensive too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 08/31/13 at 07:48:24

I'm starting to agree with you more and more OF. Like I said, it took me HOURs to reload all the MS stuff on the little laptop, and I had to hook it up physically with the modem to download all the updates and THEN get it to load the drivers for the wireless stuff (it is vista also).

I'm on the big win8 laptop this morning comparing speeds and such, ok, so the drivers in Linux aren't designed to run an MS based game, but there are games I could run if I wanted to, guys gotta have some fun no?

I'm seriously thinking of clearing out the little laptop and running just Linux, but first I'm going to see about transferring files from the MS side to the Linux side to see how easy it will be to run, first i'm going to download some songs and picks and maybe a few videos.....hoping to learn as much as I can, then maybe one day i'll finish up with just running Linux from the "blackscreen" as my wife calls it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #33 - 08/31/13 at 08:18:39

O_R,
Just mount the Windows partition. You can access it just like any other then.  You'll have full, on demand access to anything that's there.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 08/31/13 at 14:25:31

Old, take a big jump drive and copy all your songs over to it.   Use your MS antivirus check on the drive (in Windows) and make sure the jump drive is clean,  Then boot Linux and see if the songs will play off the jump drive directly.

If so, then let the Mint have the whole drive on the small laptop and when it is done copy all your songs off the jump drive onto the Linux formatted and cleaned drive so they will live for a nice long time.

My issue with any MS formatted partitions of a shared drive is that THOSE MS NTFS PARTITIONS are the ones that get searched out and whacked by the latest greatest nasty virus.

Moving your song files over to a Linux formatted drive kind of keeps the virus from getting to them by being "inexplicable" to the MS based virus.

This is the main risk of a dual boot machine, the base boot sector is still MS based and is completely at risk to being attacked by a MS virus.  When the boot section goes down, so does the machine.

Still, most new Linux users still need a MS machine around to fall back on until they get better at Linux -- but you have multiple machines to fill that bill at this time.

====================

Always remember that a Linux machine can host a MS virus and pass it on to other machines by email, disk, jump drive, etc.

Just because it cannot affect you directly does not mean you can't transfer it to your MS machines by jump drive, etc.

My wife gets most of her illnesses "attached" to emails and to physically carried student papers that she plugs in with the student's personal jump drive when they visit her in her office to get help.  

The student population has all sorts of crap running around it all the time and they give their coughs and colds to her right along with their computer viruses .....

« Last Edit: 09/02/13 at 04:58:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:25:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › When a hard drive goes bad ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.