Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
When a hard drive goes bad .... (Read 257 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
When a hard drive goes bad ....
08/25/13 at 17:51:33

...... it can be a major pain in the butt.

First, you got to go buy a new hard drive with enough capacity to hold all your stuff.   For me, my Windows was 160 gig or higher for me, so the drive I bought before was a 250 gig because that's the smallest that was on sale at Best Buy that could hold my Windows and all my various windows stuff.

Windows always takes about 4-6 hours of steady work to reload the OS, reload all the software packages, finding the drivers for this and that, do all the configuring of this and that.   Then you gotta update all the anti-virus and all the various maintenance softwares (and wait forever while all the MS updates slowly trickle through the ethernet cable in installation order so the system can actually rebuild itself in the proper sequence so it actually works right)

When you hit the snag (like a old CD that doesn't play any more) it can get more difficult and even more expensive, since you gotta go pay for some MS stuff again since your old stuff was 2+ generations back and they won't upgrade from that to there so now you have to buy a full modern copy and all the rest of that happy MS BS.

Windows and Office can be a real pain in the butt.

=================

Linux however, isn't a pain in the butt.

Hard drive won't read right any more, even the low level diagnostics from the disk manufacturer can't get it to respond well enough to pass the tests and although Linux CAN get it to read some it is still as slow as molasses as only half the heads seem to be working at any given time.  

It ain't right and it ain't gonna get any better.  Give it up, it's dead.

Jest take out the old 250 gig hard drive, slap in a 10+ year old 120 gig drive that had some encoded compressed backup stuff on it from a previous work life (useless now, the company doesn't even exist any more) and let Linux overwrite the entire drive.

Stick in the now completely obsolete and "unsupported" Linux Mint 9 CD from many moons ago into the DVD/CD drive, close the drive, hit the power button to cold boot the machine.

Disk reads fine, software loads, you pick "Install Linux Mint 9" and then you have to answer 7 simple "choose the radio button" questions and within 10 minutes Linux Mint 9 is finished loading completely, OS and ALL the office software & all the stuff you ever used with Mint 9, all loaded off of ONE CD.  

Never had to chase a driver once, never had to update a single piece of software (all done automatically as the stuff was installed).

Stick a jump drive in the USB slot that you used to keep your Preferences and Bookmarks from Firefox and a copy of all your personal data, copy in all the stuff into your personal folder and let Firefox go find its past history.

Done.   It took longer to open up the old white box and change out the hard drive than it did to reload all the software.

1-2 hrs total .....   with Windows you'd still be dicking with getting the OS loaded and configured and driver'd.

Smiley   ..... did I ever mentioned I LIKE Linux Mint?   Really, I spent less than 2 hours and zero dollars to get the whole thing back and the old used 120 gig hard drive is really huge compared to the simple needs of the Mint 9 system and it seems to be even faster than it used to be on the old sick hard drive.

Now, why did my old drive die?   I had a multi-boot arrangement with Windows as boot sector and something ate the boot sector and banged the hell out of the drive heads -- something very unloverly root kit-ish that attacks windows boot sectors no doubt.

So, I don't have a dual boot machine any more, straight 100% Mint 9 now and unless somebody takes the time to write something specifically against Mint 9, I'm good for "from now on" until "forever", whichever comes first.

And that's fine by me, I like my old Linux Mint white box jest fine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: When a hard drive goes bad ....
Reply #1 - 08/25/13 at 18:59:38

So does your lovely wife know about this OTHER relationship you have with this "Lanky Mint" chicky ? ?    Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 08/25/13 at 21:09:49

K, got one for ya, wife and I just bought new laptops, and I had to do the redo-everything windows crap....lost some pics too, frikin' windows.
I've since loaded only one game onto the redone old laptop, which is now functioning nicely since I dumped all of the five years worth of un-needed backups and pac's windows loads up.

So where do I get me a Linux operating system? I once had a dual boot setup on an ol' computer I built so I could play games on my bootup and office work on the secondary.

I'd like to see what Linux could do and to see if my games (which some are) are supported by Linux. I want to make my old laptop my traveling companion due to its small size (13,5" X 10").

Plus i'll have the time now that i'm home sitting and doing nothing because of the back being toast. Maybe i'll actually learn something new!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/25/13 at 23:09:33

If you want games, then you want STEAM.   All of the very modern Ubuntu derivatives support STEAM right out of the box.   No other distro family does this nearly as well, so stay with the Ubuntu family.

There are a lot of Ubuntu derivatives out there right now, Linux Mint is the most popular followed by Ubuntu itself then after that there are a whole crowd of much smaller derivatives like Puppy and Peppermint.

Dual booting is what I would always recommend to a new Linux user, you still need Windows as a fall back position to keep you from getting frustrated with stuff.   Your frustration comes from 20+ years of Windows and the habits that come along with that, Linux isn't Windows and that tends to frustrate new people sometimes as by habit they want to keep doing the same cumbersome things that Windows forced them to do for all those years.

Me, I had a heck of a time letting go of hard drive / anti-virus maintenance, just couldn't believe you really didn't have to do it any more.   Felt like I was running around naked or something .....

Wink

The simpler, better forum supported distros are the ones you want right off the bat.

Read the newbie forums of the ones you are looking at and try to find one that has a habit of always answering their newbie's stupid questions fairly quickly.   That's gonna be you, so pick a friendly one.

=================

Every time the LTS (long term supported) distro time comes around (every 2-3 years) I buy a short pack of a dozen DVDs and go distro shopping, downloading and trying out some of the better looking distros --  looking for the one that will be better than the now obsolete Linux Mint 9.

Ain't found it yet .... still looking though.

This upcoming April 2014 is LTS time.

==========================

Old, You just shelled out what, over $600 for two new laptops -- load Mint or whatever on one of the old ones and be shocked/incredulous that the old one runs a lot faster than your newer more powerful Windows laptops ....  she's always a shocker to the Linux newbie that Linux is really THAT much smaller and tighter coded that an old single core set up will burn a new dual core Windows set up.

(especially when they get some MS "age corruption" on them   Wink  ).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/25/13 at 23:19:54

LANCER wrote on 08/25/13 at 18:59:38:
So does your lovely wife know about this OTHER relationship you have with this "Lanky Mint" chicky ? ?    Cheesy

She knows about Mint, she uses my machine when hers craps up.  Mine always works .....

She also knows that when she retires she will have 4 Windows laptops for her exclusive personal use, but when they crap out they will become Linux machines as I won't be paying for Win anything any more.

Microsoft has picked my pocket for my entire computing lifetime, I think it is about time for them to keep their greedy little hands to themselves.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 08/26/13 at 11:01:42

KInda the same thing over here.. I bought a used netbook on ebay.. I loved my old ACER Netbook, and so I bought another. Well the SSD quit booting.. note sure what happend the SSD was not dead.. the bios was not bad... I have NO idea what did happen. BUt I had two more HDDs also from the this netbook.. and guess what.. they waould start then claim the OS borked and quit. ENOUGH..

I went looking for a nice tiny OS .. and found Puppy Linux.. which I had heard of years ago.  Down loaded the ISO and burned to CD.. then booted and installed to the SSD.. can you say BLAZING... A tiny RAM loading OS booting from a SSD... YEAH baby.

Now the desktop is kinda cartoonish.. and the programs are cira 1990's looking but functional. and the only thing I do on it is browse the net anyway.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/26/13 at 11:29:02

Grab onto your shorts because Puppy is going to start basing off Ubuntu  simply to get Steam game support.   Lots of the little distros are switching over to Ubuntu as a base to get native Steam support.   You think gaming is  neat now, try Steam on a machine that also loads Steam & the entire OS into RAM memory like a Puppy machine does.   FAST.

This also is one of the things that makes a Linux very hard for Windows to beat because any time any of the Linuxes come up with something neat and new -- within a year all of them have it.  There is no problem borrowing code from each other,  it is expected.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 08/26/13 at 13:14:08

Yep I have Precise Puppy, which they said used Ubunto binaries.

So can install any unbuto program? Like steam?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/26/13 at 16:54:55

Just ask on the Puppy forums they will know all the current facts about it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/26/13 at 17:07:54

does adobe creative suite run on linux yet??

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 08/26/13 at 21:04:59

So I go to a Linux forum and download and burn a cd of a smaller Linux version using my windows??? hows that gonna work?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/27/13 at 05:49:55

Lost .....   Yes, you can run Photoshop on Linux  .....  (the odds of you being able to do this are pretty slim as it seems to be an expert sorta thing to do.   Me, I'd simply use Gimp as Gimp can do just about anything, but yeah I know, it isn't what you are used to using, you are a professional Photoshop user who is deeply deeply embedded in the program).

http://ubuntuhacksblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/how-to-install-adobe-photosho...

==============

Old .....   go here and read up about the small distros, specifically looking for easy to use features and then take a look at their forums for friendliness and quick answers.

http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/which-linux-distros-are-the-best

You are looking to get your feet wet, these "easy do" distros are not the ones you will likely wind up with as later on you will want more than they supply -- the bigger distros with all the 10s will be where you wind up eventually.

The easy do's show you that you CAN do it, then you start the endless search for the distro you like the best.

I have gotten to the point I can live just fine with Mint 9, and I only go searching again when the LTS versions come out every 2-3 years.

I have noted that mainstream Linux is getting bigger and fatter.  In today's terms my old Mint 9 would be considered a "light weight distro" as it requires very little on the machine front and it runs about like a Peppermint for speed.  

Puppy has resisted "bloatitus" over the years and Puppy is still pretty much Puppy (it was the one that I used to get my feet wet way back in the day).  

Puppy was based out of Australia back then and I had me a Aussie housewife who pretty much ran the Puppy newbie forum back then -- she's the one who taught me Linux if anybody did.   She called me "dearie" whenever I didn't catch what she was trying to say, she' also tell me I was being thick again.   And I was, I never bought a Linux book of any kind and I refused to use the terminal unless it was a cut and paste solution (to her I was being positively retarded).

So I rotated up to Linux Mint that didn't require a Linux book or typing code into a terminal.  And I am still thick and retarded to the real Linux people .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 08/27/13 at 06:26:49

old_rider wrote on 08/26/13 at 21:04:59:
So I go to a Linux forum and download and burn a cd of a smaller Linux version using my windows??? hows that gonna work?

Just throwing it out there...

You can download puppylinux.. as a ISO file.. this is an image of a CD. You then burn that image ( not copy) to a CD.. The resulting CD is bootable and thus you can boot from it and try an alternative OS and the applications that come with it... if you don't like it .. pull out the CD and re-boot. No harm done and Windoze never knows. If you DO like it.. re-boot from the CD.. and run the install to the hard drive. Then install a the "boot loader" .. remove the CD.. poof you have a new OS.
Ok.. so its not that easy.. but nearly. I did all this a netbook, that otherwise was trashed... I could not get windows to load on it. So for me I had zero loss to try.
IS it slick ... no
are there unlimited programs that you can just dumbly download.. not like windows...
Can I browse the web,, here, youtube and email.. yep.
Will I give up Windows on my main desktop PC... hell no!
Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/27/13 at 06:45:53

& Mr Nottageek said

What is the difference between burning an image &  copying to?

Is it like the difference between a rheostat & variable resistor?
Cuz I NEVER figgered that out either..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/27/13 at 10:16:58

When you copy something, it is just a copy.

When you "burn an ISO image" you are laying down executable code in a fashion that makes the DVD both readable, executable and bootable.  

You run the code through a program that takes the compressed input code, unpacks it, expands it and lays it down correctly complete with a boot sector and file structure.

The code you lay down is much larger than the compressed source file.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:24:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › When a hard drive goes bad ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.