Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does this bike suck oil or do I have a leak? (Read 97 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Does this bike suck oil or do I have a leak?
08/24/13 at 16:11:56

I bought my S40 about 9 days ago after getting my Motorcycle endorsement for my license.  (Woohoo!)

7 days ago I took it into my local bike shop for a look over and a T-CLOCS inspection to make sure everything was in good shape (officially checked by an expert instead of my looking).  Presumably along with that inspection they check all fluids like oil level.

Yesterday in preparation for my first big road trip to Rocky Mountain National Park and various rides around Colorado I checked my oil level... the window wasn't on Low it was empty.  No oil in the window at all.

So I went out, topped up the oil, and headed off on my trip.  I'm back now.  I had a blast but while I was about 230 miles into my 270 mile trip I looked down at the window again.  Empty.

Does the S40 just go through oil really quickly, do all motorcycles go through oil quickly, or do I have a leak?  I'm not seeing any oil spots in my driveway.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Does this bike suck oil or do I have a leak?
Reply #1 - 08/24/13 at 16:22:30

At highway speeds, they are known to sip a little oil. If you are checking the level with the bike upright, I would guess the difference between no oil visible and the lower level line would be what, maybe 6 or 8 ounces?

Get one of those mirrors on the collapsible wands and check it before each ride. Keep it topped up and you should be fine.

How many miles on the bike?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 08/24/13 at 16:23:03

Deejaysham, the bike needs to be upright to check the oil level. leaving it on the stand won't really do. The oil should be warm when you check it. Get a block of wood about 6 inches square and about 2 and three quarter thick and put it under the stand then you can look at the window without athletic contorsions. Some people buy a telescopic mirror and sit on the bike holding the mirror near the oil level window.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #3 - 08/24/13 at 16:32:06

The bike had just 700 miles on it when I bought it (2009).  Now it has about 1350.

I'll look into the wood and the block to prop it vertical, thanks.

But so that I just know what to expect: Driving at highway speeds which a lot of Denver driving is done that way... I shouldn't be surprised if I'm topping up the oil every 200 miles or so?

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/24/13 at 17:11:23

With that low mileage it should be using basically no oil at all. Make sure to check the oil with the bike level, as stated in the Owner's Manual. I usually take hold of the right handle bar grip with my right hand, which allows me to hold the front brake so the bike doesn't move. I then pull it toward me until it seems to balance, which I take to be near enough level. I can then observe the oil window with no particular contortions.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 08/24/13 at 18:03:59

My '07 Yamaha 1100 has an oil sight glass. My 1986 Honda Rebel has a dip stick. I can't see improvement over time.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/24/13 at 18:37:32

I have had and still have machines with dipsticks and oil sight windows. Personally, I prefer the sight windows. The problem with both involves the need to check oil with the bike level. If the bike has a center stand it becomes easy, although on my Majesty the dipstick is low and behind the exhaust pipe. My old Twinstar had a dipstick, but no center stand. I had to remove and wipe the dipstick, hold the bike level, reinsert and remove the dipstick, then look at the oil level. Easiest of all is my 250 Ninja, which has a center stand and an oil sight window.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #7 - 08/24/13 at 19:54:23

I get the wifey to sit on mine and hold it straight and level with the front wheel straight for me, then I get down on all fours and peek at the window Wink

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/24/13 at 21:41:46

deejay,

After a ride, I like to let the bike sit overnight (or, at least three hours) before checking the oil level.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/25/13 at 01:52:06

See if the black hose coming out of the r/f corner of the head goes UP, then back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #10 - 08/25/13 at 07:02:43

Don't worry....using a little oil is normal on an engine that is not yet broken in like your's at 1350 miles.  All engines will use some oil during break-in until the rings have become fully worn (seated) in. I have seen high performance chrome rings take over 5000 miles before the rings are fully seated. Follow the advice from the other folks here and just keep the oil topped off and you will be fine.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 22:55:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does this bike suck oil or do I have a leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.