Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Update: new clutch installed, fixed (Read 948 times)
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Updated: need clutch help please, toast
Reply #30 - 09/01/13 at 18:24:08

Did not spray anything on it. This is the first time I had it apart. I spend the last week orso plays with rods and adjustments since everything I read said that is what it had to be. Oil has all been correct as far as I know. All of the history  that I know is laid out in this thread. If anyone has any theroies considering I would be interested. Also advised on what to buy and where to go from here would be helpful, I think I can get by without removing the basket. Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Updated: need clutch help please, toast
Reply #31 - 09/01/13 at 18:30:14

Known things to watch out for

If you removed your clutch basket, there is a flanged washer and a locking pin behind it all that provides driving purchase for your oil pump gear.   Failure to put it all back together correctly will allow your oil pump gear to move laterally out of engagment, scrapping your engine due to no oil pressure.

Next, there is a "big as the plates" thin ring like belleville washer (tilted washer) and some flat washers that pre-tension the clutch pack.  Putting the tilted washer in wrong means it won't work right (causes an immediate need for tear down).

Soak your plates for a day in the oil you are going to use.   Read "Recommended Oils" since you currently aren't using any of them.

Use a finishing sander to rough up your steel plates and get all the crap off of them.   Medium coarse sand paper on the finishing sander, you will need at least several sheets as they like to tear up on you from all the sharp metal corners you go across.

And no, you are not the first person to take their clutch apart, but you are certainly the most inventive to date, certainly that's fer shure.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Update: clutch destroyed, Theories n help welc
Reply #32 - 09/01/13 at 18:43:08

Hmm that sounds like something I can handle. I did not notice those washers were different, I'll have to take a closer look. What order to they go it.

I think I'll replace the spring while I'm at it, maybe an ebc set with the discs. Anything else?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 09/01/13 at 19:15:34

Dave went EBC about a year ago and had issues with being sent wrong springs -- he got it corrected but it was a delay in his engine build.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 09/01/13 at 20:22:29

If that black goo is all over your engine, you might want to split the case in order to clean out the oil pump.  there's a fine screen on the pickup that might get clogged and do you in later.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 09/01/13 at 20:43:09

Id sure  like to know what caused that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 09/02/13 at 06:25:49

^ me too. If has me concerned as to how this bike was treated or if it was just a defect or fluke failure. Everything else looks nice just needs a set of tires due to age and inspection. Starts up easy and runs good, I'm worried about putting more money into itand being stuck with a lemon.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #37 - 09/02/13 at 06:56:18

Maybe the guy who restored it, after having sit so long, put something into the oil to clean up the effects from having set so long, you know, like the inspection cover was all black and you couldn't see through it, and he tried a homemade remedy?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #38 - 09/02/13 at 07:34:36

That's why you don't Seafoam a wet clutch bike sump... too much can destroy the adhesive. How much is too much varies from plate to plate...

I've cleaned dozens of clutch assemblies with electrical cleaner, never an issue.

If you can find one, you want a kevlar or carbon clutch disc set. My clutch plates still look fine at 15 years old, so I still have the stock set in the bike.

Order a new spring kit, preferably heavy duty. The only times I've seen clutch plates prematurely scoured that far were ALL due to weak springs. It happens, you can't check the spring rates w/o specialty tools that are needed so infrequently that they are considered a cost prohibitive luxury item.

That is an impressive clutch failure...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 09/02/13 at 08:22:47

Thanks, I guess lol. That might make sense if the guy ran some chemicals through it instead of taking the Carb off. I'm going to order some new plates and springs. I guess I'll change the oil filter and flush the oil another time or too. Figures I would buy the one bike that explodes the clutch out of a group of what seems to be pretty reliable bikes. Any other tips ,

I laid the disks out in order and numbered them so I put them back correctly. I left the basket on so I don't have to worry about that issue. I need lot figure out the order of those washer rings I did not notice they were different when I pulled them.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #40 - 09/02/13 at 09:05:11

15mm sounds like alot on the tensioner for 3900 miles doesn't it?  Could your speedo have been changed out to reflect a lower mileage bike?  All the issues seem to me to point to alot more than 3900 miles worth.  Undecided

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 09/02/13 at 09:48:03

I was thinking 14 seemed like a good bit. I suppose anything if possible but the mileage on the title transfers seemed to line up and  seems like a lot to make a couple hundred bucks for a retiree flipping non running cars and bikes.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 09/02/13 at 10:54:44

Quote:
15mm sounds like alot on the tensioner for 3900 miles doesn't it?

I've not seen on here where anyone has looked at a new bike to see where the adjuster sits in a new engine so it's hard to say. I looked at mine with just under 10,00 and the adjuster was out 16mm, so 14mm might be perfectly normal for 3900. There is a chart on here somewhere that tracks when folks have checked/changed adjusters. The mileages are all over the place.

IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 09/02/13 at 16:45:13

I would install steels,fibers and springs.Change oil and filter and wash/rinse out base before reassembling.Change oil and filter again at 250/500 miles.Looks like clutch had zero clearance and overheated.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #44 - 09/02/13 at 16:51:46

Kizale wrote on 09/02/13 at 08:22:47:
Any other tips  

For sure make sure you clean all that crud out.....sigh sorry that you have to go through such a pain   Sad

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:11:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Update: new clutch installed, fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.