Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Update: new clutch installed, fixed (Read 948 times)
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Update: new clutch installed, fixed
08/23/13 at 20:58:10

Hello, newbie here looking for some help.  I've been lurking on the site for a month or so doing research and ended up with an 03 savage 2 weeks ago as a first bike. I did some searching and could not much on my type of problem. I'll start with the history since it seems to be the first thing most ask when trying to help. It's an 03 3900 miles. First owner put most of the Milan's on then let it sit for a couple years. It was then purchased by a retired guy who buys and fixes bikes to flip them. He put in a battery, cleaned the Carb and got it running. He put about 60 miles on Inc delivering  it to me and sold it. Since I had it I did a couple cosmetic things changed the oil/filter and air. I put it back together ran it about 25 miles went it quit on me. Ran great till I pulled from a stop light and it stalled a couple times when tring to take off, then all forward progress stopped. I had to tow it home. Engine runs fine, I can let the clutch out in gearand nothing like it's still in n. It shifts through the gears fine and the tension on the lever feels normal. The I used was Suzuki 4cycle I got from the dealer with the filters. Since the problem I changed the oil again with Mobil 1 v twin, old stuff mil key and nasty already also played the clutch adjustments and it made no diff. Checked the belts and pulleys on the other side and they looked OK. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the clutch cover off but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I can't believe the clutch plates would be smoked already, I hear they can take some abuse. I can upload pictures after I open up the case. Any help would be realty appreciated. I'm pretty bummed about getiing the bike and having it break first time out. I'll be around the forum going forward, thanks Ryan

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 13:21:00 by Kizale »  
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: need clutch help please
Reply #1 - 08/23/13 at 22:18:20

May seem like a dumb question....Did you check the belt?

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/23/13 at 22:29:39

Left side of the bike, take the cheesy cover with 3 slots milled in it off. Take and post a pic before so much as thinking about taking the clutch cover off. Let's walk through the easier to inspect stuff first.

Get us an overall pic and a detail pic where the shaft comes through the pulley, to start with.

While the cover is off, push, pull and twist on the pulley and see if it is tight on the output shaft. Do that in N and in gear. Let us know the result.

We can go into it deeper afterwards if necessary.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/24/13 at 10:37:20

I took the side cover off. Pulley seems to on tight and belt is snug around it, looks normal to me. I took the clutch cover off and things look ok so far. Should I pull the clutch out to look at the discs? It would be odd for them to be burn up with such low mileage, the bike even has the original tires still on it. Here are some pictures of the bike. Also I measured the chain tensioner at 15mm so I guess it's ok till next year.

« Last Edit: 08/24/13 at 12:11:25 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/24/13 at 10:42:07

how far does the clutch rod stick out?

WWW   IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/24/13 at 10:55:55

the rod sticking out of the center of the clutch basket? I measured it at 12mm.

I noticed something else and maybe this will help diagnose the problem. With the motor full of oil I could roll the bike in gear with almost no resistance. I drained the oil and took the clutch cover off and now it has lots of resistance to the point it almost won't move. Like it was before the problem and I guess how it should be. I can rock it back in forth in 1st slightly and see the basket and gears rotate with the cover off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/24/13 at 12:19:09

12mm ok
your problem is either in the clutch or the drive pulley.

sometimes the spline on the pulley wears till spins on the shaft with a clunking sound.
having it work right with the cover off and slip when it's on would tend to say the rod was too long, but it's ok at 12.  How much gap between the lever and the perch on the handlebars?

WWW   IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/24/13 at 12:54:51

Not sure what you mean. I messed around with the adjustment both at the handlebars and down on the case as one of the first checks and got nowhere.

Also I was not having any problems with clutch slip prior, it went from working fine to nothig pretty much all at once like somethig broke. The pulley would make sense to me even tho it looks ok, should I jack up the rear and spin it in gear or how should I check it? The fact that it locks up correctly with the cover off and oil out, what could that mean?

Thanks in advance to all

IP Logged
Kizale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/24/13 at 16:25:31

the best I can tell the pulley and belt seem ok. I look close at the pulley and belt seem snug and to rotate fine. I pushed it around in neutral and there was not noise, or wobbles or anything I could find. I could be wrong of course but don't see anything at this point.

One of the main symptoms was that I could roll it in gear with no resistance with the clutch out, as well as the no power in gear. Now that the linkage is disconnected, oil out and side cover off it seems to lock up fine. If I put it in first I can hardly move it and when I do I can see the basket and gears rotate like it locked up. It basically feels normal, like it did before if you parked it and put it in gear.

Does anyone know what this could mean, should I be changing the discs, rods or any other suggestions? I seem to be narrowing in on the problem but don't know what to fix or replace to correct it.

Thanks  

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #9 - 08/24/13 at 16:38:33

Take a picture of your clutch handle so we can see how much you've tightened/loosened the clutch cable. Also take a picture of the clutch adjustment screw on the bar going into the engine. Kind'a sounds like you have no slack in the line. Clutch lever on your handle bars should be loose, not locked up stiff with no play in it.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #10 - 08/24/13 at 16:41:58

Mine clutch lever is way more loose than what I thought I needed at first. Loose like, 'holy dang, this can't be right,' but it is.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/24/13 at 16:59:24

couldn't find any better pics...
this one is way looser than it should be, but you get the idea, pull on the lever just enough to take the slack out, should be at least an 1/8" gap, mine currently is about a 1/4"

same thing for the clutch rod, push the lever up, if it goes higher than this, then you need a longer rod.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 08/24/13 at 21:28:19

Verslagen said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

....same thing for the clutch rod, push the lever up, if it goes higher than this, then you need a longer rod.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ver,

I thought we agreed a few years ago that the datum line on that chrome clutch lever (shown above) ran along the bottom of said clutch lever, like shown in the two pics below:

So, what is it?  Does the datum line run along the bottom of the lever or does it run through the longitudinal center of said lever (as your pic inferred)?

Jes' seekin' the truth here.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/24/13 at 22:58:39

regardless of what datum you use...

this is bad...  mmmk

this is good...  mmmk

« Last Edit: 08/25/13 at 00:13:34 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/25/13 at 01:47:44

Okay, you changed oil, then 25miles later,, she no go..

What kinda oil did you use?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Update: new clutch installed, fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.