Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
no strawberries&waffles with Jesus (Read 322 times)
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
no strawberries&waffles with Jesus
08/22/13 at 21:15:07

An atheist’s guide to the good life

By PZ Myers, Published: August 21

A curious thing happened to my thoughts on the way to composing this essay.

It was supposed to be about how to be an atheist, but I realized that that wasn’t right. Atheism is the default position. You don’t have to do anything to be an atheist, but you have to work awfully hard to not be one — atheism strips away a lot of superfluous nonsense, rather than piling on remarkable requirements and strange creeds and bizarre pointless rituals that you need to obey. So instead, I thought I’d address the believers and tell you what baggage you can throw off ol’ Conestoga Wagon of life, the stuff that we know is completely unnecessary because atheists have traveled the trail without it, and come out just fine.

Ditch the Sunday church services first thing. Hanging out with friends and neighbors is great, we atheists do it all the time, but guess what? We do it without a boring dude in a dog collar droning away at us, without sitting in those uncomfortable pews, without snoozing through the same old homilies. It’s like church where you skip the tedious bits and cut straight to the coffee social or the Sunday picnic.

The imaginary threat of hell and promise of heaven aren’t needed to keep us in line. We do good because we’re happy to help our communities and see our fellow human beings thrive. Telling us we’re going to be set on fire by a malicious god if we don’t behave isn’t just unbelievable, it’s insulting — we don’t need extortion or offers of imaginary paradise cookies to do the right thing. Why do you?

No more prayers, no more worship of an unresponsive invisible man. Believers seem to spend a lot of effort rationalizing the silence at the other end of the line: God will give you what you need, not what you want, he’ll answer in surprising ways, not answering is sometimes the best answer, he’s got a plan that you just don’t see yet. Atheists have the simplest answer: no one is listening. It fits just as well, even better, than all the convoluted explanations you might come up with. And it means you can stop the futile babbling, hang up and do something productive.

The guilt! The pointless guilt is gone! Oh, sure, you still feel guilty if you harm people — and that is right and appropriate. But you don’t need to feel guilty about not appeasing a deity, or not following archaic dogma. Most importantly, you never have to feel bad about reciprocating love with another person, because medieval rules to govern relationships have all lost their divine foundation.

Speaking of medieval rules, throw away the hierarchical view of society. Rulers aren’t better than those they rule, priests are not above the congregation, women are not man’s helpmeet, your tribe is no longer the chosen people. Wake up to equality, realize that every single human being on the planet is on the same plane, and respect everyone’s rights as the same.

Have you ever lost someone you love? You know what churchy people will tell you: They’re in a happier place, God needed another angel, they’re having strawberries and waffles with Jesus right now. Atheists won’t do that: they’ll tell you that it’s OK to grieve. We’ve lost a good person, the right and good thing to do is to mourn and honor the memory of the dead. We don’t make people feel guilty for failing to appreciate the kindness a god has done by destroying a good person.

You may have needed a book of rules and a master to put on the shackles of faith, but you don’t need a guidebook to live a life of liberty. Do you know why atheists are so happy? Because they’re the freest people on Earth, and their only responsibilities are to their fellow human beings, not phantasms.

Myers is author of the recently-released book, ‘The Happy Atheist.’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/08/21/an-atheists-guide-...

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: no strawberries&waffles with Jesus
Reply #1 - 08/22/13 at 21:37:23

His happiness wont last

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #2 - 08/22/13 at 22:04:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/22/13 at 21:37:23:
His happiness wont last

Why?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 08/22/13 at 22:09:37

Some of the Atheist are the nicest people I've ever met. They have to have a good conscience. On the other hand its hard for me to believe the stars and planets just popped out of no where or were always here. I'm not a church going Christian, I don't know, maybe I should be but it seems like I've never got what I needed by attending church. I'm lucky enough to have spent a few days with Preacher Mike and he walks the talk. I get a Bible reading, devotion and prayer from him every morning and I look forward to it because I know its coming from a good source. I love the teachings of Jesus and a few more parts of the Bible but I don't condone the violence in the Old Testament. We could take some of those verses and become just like the Muslims. There's no point in arguing. We'll all find out one day. Live the best life we can and do unto others as you would have them do to unto you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/22/13 at 23:14:32

I worry about a person that needs to fear a God in order to behave like a human being,...  

I'm a good boy,.. because there's no one to forgive me...

« Last Edit: 08/23/13 at 00:30:00 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/23/13 at 06:13:54

Question: what drives militant atheist? Why would someone put one of those Darwin fish symbols on the back of their car?   I understand why someone would put the Christian fish symbol on their car to identify themselves as a Christian as a point of pride.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/13 at 06:15:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/22/13 at 21:37:23:
His happiness wont last

Does anyone's?

--Steve

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/23/13 at 06:41:53

Yes, mine. I don't recall ever being unhappy for any length of time. I'm 52 years old. Had my share of tragedies. Maybe we should define happiness first.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/23/13 at 09:06:56

Perhaps.
I don't consider myself a "happy" person.
I'm not hurting, financially (but I'm not getting very far ahead), I don't go to bed hungry.
I'm not sure how to define it.

--Steve

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/23/13 at 09:18:11

I'm in the athiest or maybe "how would I know?" camp.
The invisible man and all the stuff goes with it just strikes me as utterly ridiculous.
I'm pretty happy, as far as being alive and ok goes.
I have a Kid on the way in a couple months.
I have a great wife
I have a good group of friends (some are even religulous)
I have some toys
I have a house
I Don't go to bed hungry (unless it's by choice)
And...... I worked for it.
If there's a great dread and wonderful supreme being out there, I hope I'm in good favor just for being a decent human being.
If there isn't, then I guess I just have to remember that I still acted like a decent human being.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/23/13 at 09:36:28

WebsterMark wrote on 08/23/13 at 06:13:54:
Question: what drives militant atheist? Why would someone put one of those Darwin fish symbols on the back of their car?   I understand why someone would put the Christian fish symbol on their car to identify themselves as a Christian as a point of pride.

Why is it "militant" to have a Darwin symbol,... but, a point of pride to display a fish?...

I think the Darwin symbols are clever and funny...
I don't know what to think of the fish symbol...What is the point?...
You say it's a point of pride.... Pride, is one of the 7 deadly sins...  I imagine displaying pride publicly, is an even bigger sin...
I doubt God would approve...

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/23/13 at 10:03:35

I almost forgot:
I love me some strawberries and waffles.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/23/13 at 10:10:25

The act of putting  Darwin fish symbols came AFTER the act of putting Christian fish symbols on the trunks of cars. It was done in direct response.  It was intended as a way to attack the  beliefs of those who put Christian fish symbols on their cars. It was kind of a snotty way to say screw you, you're an idiot, I know more than you.

The fish symbol is the same as someone putting a Crucifix on their car. The fish symbol was an early emblem of Christianity. The Darwin fish symbol as a response is just an easy way to attack someone who may or may not believe in evolution.  Someone with a Darwin fish symbol on their car, especially those that show the Darwin fish eating the Christian fish, is metaphorically spitting on the other guys face.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the meaning of the sin of pride.

The sin of pride has to do with feeling that you are superior or equal to God. By putting on a Darwin fish symbol, you are taking a stance, a proud stance, that mankind's intellect is sufficient to explain life's mysteries.  It's like a child starting to learn how the world works but doesn't know everything.  They may take a stand on something that ultimately proves to be completely wrong yet they won't listen because they believe they know the answer(s). That's the sin of pride.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 08/23/13 at 10:37:06

Good answer...
I doubt that crosses the mind of most of the people sticking those symbols on their cars though...
The Darwin symbol is a response to those fish symbols... I don't think they are an "attack"...  just a way of pointing out the absurdity of labeling...
Wearing your beliefs on your sleeve is a challenge to others... Darwin symbols are the answer to that challenge...
The response wouldn't exist without the challenge...
You don't like the response... you shouldn't put the challenge out there...

Nobody's making people put fishies on their bumpers...
At least I don't think they are...

I don't put any stickers on my car... and I don't like t-shirts with silly things on them either...
It's all pretty stupid and childish...  
No one looks more intelligent with a picture on their chest...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/23/13 at 10:56:14

I agree to a point while strongly disagreeing. It's one thing to put a symbol on your car it's another thing to put a symbol on your car attacking the other person's symbol.  That second person is clearly in the wrong.

On one hand, I've got no dog in this hunt. I don't put crap on my cars to begin with. However, I think I have a really funny idea I want to try. On one side of my bumper I want to put a Liberal bumper sticker and on the other side a conservative bumper sticker. One side might say "war is not the answer". The other side might have a picture of a B-52 bomber and say "peace through superior firepower". I'll change them up now and then just keep my neighbors off guard....

The next week I might put on that stupid "tolerate" bumper sticker, The one with all the religious symbols. On the other side, maybe I'll put a Southern Baptist convention logo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:21:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › no strawberries&waffles with Jesus

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.