Send Topic Print
CDI (Read 54 times)
japes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CDI
08/22/13 at 15:17:45

I have had had two CDI blow due tohigh current throught the power transistor when the battery voltage gets low - when trying to start the bike, I think! I have paid lots of money to get

two new CDI and they have blown also. I repaired both CDI's with new power transitors and they also blow. I have

decided to make my own CDI.
Does anyone know:
1/ The Ignition Advance Curve for the LS650
2/ The position of the Pickup Coil/Pulsor Coil relative to Top Dead Centre (TDC) e.g. maybe 36 degrees before TDC.
3/ Is the pulse from the Pickup coil positive then negative or negative then positive
4/ The rev range of the LS650

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Re: CDI
Reply #1 - 08/22/13 at 15:59:47

I actually threw my pickup coil on an oscilloscope the other day. I believe it was positive then negative. I would have to double check to be certain though.

Still, if you are blowing your ignition controller so often, I'd be wondering if there isn't a problem somewhere else. Seems kind'a odd.

In most of our controllers, when the battery voltage gets low, they just stop working. I'm not certain if a voltage drop would cause your problem, unless there is some sort of odd race condition. I can't recall it ever being reported on here before.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #2 - 08/22/13 at 16:09:19

Maybe you have a bad current limiting resistor going into the transistor? If its not protected to a safe range, it could be failing that way. Trace the leads and see where they go. Then probe the resistor and see if it matches the correct spec on the bands.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 08/22/13 at 20:09:40

Maybe a bad coil drawing more power than it should?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 12:32:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CDI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.