Send Topic Print
What do you use? (Read 127 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
What do you use?
08/22/13 at 09:59:04

In Owner's Manual I have some info about what type of stuff I have to use, but I believe there are better brands and solutions?
What brand you use for oil, oil-filter, air-filter, spark-plugs, etc.

Also, where are you buying your stuff? Online?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What do you use?
Reply #1 - 08/22/13 at 10:16:12

Spark Plugs - The Savage is a low tech engine and just about any spark plug works fine.  I use either of these:
NGK DPR8EA9
NGK IRIDIUM DPR8EIX-9

Oil - I use Shell Rotella 15W-40.  Walmart, TSC, wherever it is on sale. You can also use Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic if you want to spend a bit more. You can add a ZDDP additive if you wish, you can find long discussions about this issue.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #2 - 08/22/13 at 10:30:11

I've read somewhere today that the OEM suzuki oil is actually private label for Shell.  If that be the case then what I used should be adequate. But should I add a ZDDP additave?

990A0-10W40-1QT.jpg

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/22/13 at 11:41:16

Rush-rks wrote on 08/22/13 at 10:30:11:
I've read somewhere today that the OEM suzuki oil is actually private label for Shell.  If that be the case then what I used should be adequate. But should I add a ZDDP additave?

Most of us that have been around a while don't trust or use the factory oils anymore.  As the motorcycles are refined and redesigned, the oil is changes as well.  Modern motorycles are being equipped with catalytic converters, fuel injection and oxygen sensors.....and the amount of ZDDP that our primitive engine needs to survive are being taken out of the oil so that the oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors will not be fouled by the Zinc and Phosporous.  I have no idea how much ZDDP might still be in the Suzuki Oils.  The Suzuki Savage engine is a flat tappet concept...where the rocker arms rub agains the cam profile without the benefit of any rollers - and ZDDP content of about 1,200 - 1,400 ppm is the minimum amount we believe is required.

To be safe...we recommend the following oils on this forum:
  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #4 - 08/22/13 at 12:04:26

Dave wrote on 08/22/13 at 11:41:16:
To be safe...we recommend the following oils on this forum: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Thanks for link. Very usefull.

Is there similar page for oil and air filters etc.?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/22/13 at 15:56:02

Filters? Emgo, Hi Flo HF137, K&N KN137 for oil. Emgo or K&N for air filter.

Dealer filters are the same basic unit as Emgo, just cost a lot more. Order a years worth at a time if you have to mail order them. But, even NAPA carries K&N motorcycle filters, at least around here, including the KN137.

Anything else you source from Emgo is suspect, but even major Big 4 dealerships in WA got Emgo units from where I worked for the service bays to use. DIY types got Emgo filters in O.E.M. boxes...   Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:10:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.