Send Topic Print
Dyno result? (Read 229 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Dyno result?
08/20/13 at 22:21:37

So they gave me this when I got my bike.. Is this a fairly good result?

image_099.jpg

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dyno result?
Reply #1 - 08/20/13 at 23:47:27

Looks stock..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - 08/20/13 at 23:59:30

Basically is, just added K&N air filter and dyna muffler. I didn't know what the baseline was.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/21/13 at 00:31:25

Well,,FWIW,I dont see how ONE dyno does anything.IMO,a dyno is part of the tuning process, run it, tune carb, or change intake/exhaust dynamics, run it again,, I am baffled as to why they needed a dyno on it.
Id be curious to know exactly what was said & what you agreed to. I think ya got date raped..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 08/21/13 at 04:54:28

I had mine done at a speed shop's grand opening. I have a drop in K&N filter, an NOS HD fishtail, and I rejetted. This is my result.

hp_and_afr_001.jpg

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/21/13 at 07:34:48

More important... how does the bike run?
seems like you might have a flat spot offa idle.

WWW   IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #6 - 08/21/13 at 08:41:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/13 at 00:31:25:
Well,,FWIW,I dont see how ONE dyno does anything.IMO,a dyno is part of the tuning process, run it, tune carb, or change intake/exhaust dynamics, run it again,, I am baffled as to why they needed a dyno on it.
Id be curious to know exactly what was said & what you agreed to. I think ya got date raped..

I didn't think the dyno was necessary.. but being this was the only shop nearby I had to succumb to it since they "insisted".  All the posts I've read on here, everyone just did it themselves, but since I don't have the first idea on carbs, thought I'd let them do it.  Another shop little ways away said $150 to just rejet.

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #7 - 08/21/13 at 08:44:44

verslagen1 wrote on 08/21/13 at 07:34:48:
More important... how does the bike run?
seems like you might have a flat spot offa idle.

Seemed fine on the way home.. but it was just a 10 min ride.  I'm going to take it out today after work.  At idle rpm sounds like its going up and down.. thought it was going to die at one point.  But once it warmed up a bit, got a little better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/21/13 at 10:10:47

Well,,if you dont learn to work on it,youre gonna spend so much at that shop youll be ahead driving,heck,you can afford a nice car instead of keeping them afloat,They Insisted? PHHHHT! I wouldnt walk back in there unless I had a lawyer with me,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/21/13 at 11:40:15

A bit off topic....but this is why I won't own a German car ever again.  I have owned 2 VW Beetles (64 & 66), 2 VW busses (64 & 66), an Audi Fox (78), A VW GTI (83), and a BMW 320 with a carb....and I could work on them all.  The last VW we had was a 99 Jetta Diesel.....and most of the stuff had to go to the dealer to be fixed.  The transmission required a computer for even checking transmission fluid level....it cost us $ 83 to have a 1 - 1/2 quarts of oil put in the transmission.  The cost of maintaiing a German car is no longer reasonable.....and financially I need something I can work on as I don't make enough money to pay the dealer to check my oil level.....same with my bike.  That is why I own a carbuerated, single cylinder, air cooled, belt drive bike without electronics on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #10 - 08/21/13 at 12:11:40

Dave wrote on 08/21/13 at 11:40:15:
A bit off topic....but this is why I won't own a German car ever again.  I have owned 2 VW Beetles (64 & 66), 2 VW busses (64 & 66), an Audi Fox (78), A VW GTI (83), and a BMW 320 with a carb....and I could work on them all.  The last VW we had was a 99 Jetta Diesel.....and most of the stuff had to go to the dealer to be fixed.  The transmission required a computer for even checking transmission fluid level....it cost us $ 83 to have a 1 - 1/2 quarts of oil put in the transmission.  The cost of maintaiing a German car is no longer reasonable.....and financially I need something I can work on as I don't make enough money to pay the dealer to check my oil level.....same with my bike.  That is why I own a carbuerated, single cylinder, air cooled, belt drive bike without electronics on it.

I have 2002 VW Golf and yes.. everything has to be done at the dealer.. and it is no fun

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #11 - 08/21/13 at 14:16:46

I don't see why they needed to dyno a otherwise stock bike just because of an air filter and muffler change...a good tuner should have been able to get it right without a dyno run. The dyno tune is for more extensive modifications than that.

Now for some info on why a dyno is good for your bike's health

First of all In would like to thank Lancer for all the ideas and parts he has provided me. The information has been invaluable.

Also, Verslagen makes the BEST cam chain tensioner...I have one on my bike and no more cam chain slap....nice and quiet!

The following is taken from a local motorcycle dealer's web site that we are currently negotiating with to do all of our dyno tuning on our Super Thumper engines! They have the ONLY Dynojet 250i dynamometer in all of Vermont.

"A dynamometer enables a technician to precisely record motor performance. As the technician runs the motorcycle, the device records the throttle position, RPM, air-fuel mixture, output gases and power production. Because the testing is in a known, controlled environment the data is more accurate. The testing results are standardized, which enables tests to be compared, facilitating accurate adjustments over time.

Using a dynamometer, a technical can measure the full range of motor performance and can record more data points. When running a motorcycle in a street environment, the motor has little or no time to operate at the extreme low and high ends.

The dynamometer makes it possible to see what is happening inside the motor. It takes what’s happening inside the engine and puts it on a display. People will continually throw stuff at their bike to make it perform better, but don’t really know what it does.

The dynamometer has graphic displays that enable the technician to get visual feedback showing the exact effects of changes. The dynamometer reports air-fuel mixture and cylinder usage (Volumetric Efficiency) by RPM and throttle open percentage. Using this precise data, the technician can make tuning adjustments and immediately get feedback on the change.

When you tune, it’s tuned for the way the bike is running at that time. If you change something – your exhaust or your air cleaner – you change the way the bike is tuned. Even small simple things effect how the bike runs.

The dynamometer is also a good tool for optimizing fuel economy and diagnosing drive train issues.

Using the air-fuel data, the technician can optimize fuel efficiency without running lean. He can troubleshoot drive train issues by using a negative horsepower test, which measures rolling resistance caused by mechanical components.

The dealer's Dyno is a Dynojet 250i dynamometer equipped with an eddy current load unit to create rolling resistance. The unit enables technicians to simulate street riding by creating varying loads. Technicians can setup test ride scenarios or log winter break-in mileage after motor upgrades.

My personal bike is the test mule for ALL of our performance parts and is scheduled to be dyno tuned with a Harley Dyna muffler on it since it seems that is the most common muffler everyone here wants to put on their bike.

IF a deal gets done with them you will see a link to their web site on my web site and I will post results and a dyno chart here when (and IF) the deal is done.

I tried to work a deal with a Harley dealer in New Hampshire and they crapped out...didn't want to work on a non-Harley! Prejudiced don't ya think? Wink

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/21/13 at 14:32:58

If they didnt do a before & after, thers no rational justification.
OHH,, except to steal some $$$

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #13 - 08/22/13 at 08:12:03

Funny how that works...huh Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #14 - 08/22/13 at 17:14:49

Update on the attempt to negotiate a deal for dyno tuning at a local dealer.....spoke to the tech personally today, they have NO experience with Mikuni carburetors, they do dyno tuning on fuel injected bikes only so they declined to tune the bike HOWEVER, they gave me the contact info for an independent performance shop that has a Dynotech 250i dyno and they do performance work on ALL types of bikes including carbureted big bore dirt bikes!  Smiley  More to come.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:43:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyno result?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.