Can't get back into 1st (Read 82 times)
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Can't get back into 1st
08/20/13 at 12:19:58

Occasionally after coming to a stop in Neutral the bike does not want to go back into 1st gear. It feels like there is a rubber stopper in the way stopping it from going down all the way to engage 1st gear. In order to get our of Neutral I either have to pop it up hard into 2nd or physically roll it forward a foot or 2 while stepping on it to get into 1st. Any thoughts?

Its a 2013 S40

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Re: Can't get back into 1st
Reply #1 - 08/20/13 at 12:31:51

Try releasing and then pulling the clutch in and then put it in gear.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/20/13 at 12:33:50

I always would put gentle pressure on the shifter while slowly releasing the clutch. Don't stomp or force anything.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/20/13 at 12:54:37

The transmission gears have cogs on them with big square shoulders.  If the bike is stopped, and the clutch is pulled in and the transmission shafts are stopped.....the cogs may not be aligned in a way that allows them to mesh properly.  You either have to let out the clutch and pull it back in and shift before the transmission shaft comes to rest.....or you will have to rock the bike forward and backward a bit to allow the cogs to mesh.  This is completely normal.....and becomes second nature after a while.

If pull in the clutch and wait too long before shifting into first.....you can expect that it will not shift into first most of the time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/20/13 at 13:32:42

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep these tips in mind on my way home from work today

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/20/13 at 17:53:29

Whatever you do,.. don't just keep mashing the lever to force it... that's how all these bent shift rods happen...
When it's aligned,... it will snick into gear with very little effort... when it's not aligned, it ain't gonna' go...
Brains not brawn... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Reply #6 - 08/20/13 at 21:04:16

I sometimes have the same issue with my '09.

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/20/13 at 21:20:29

If you sit, in neutral, with the clutch pulled in, all the cogs in the tranny stop spinning. If they stop so that the shifter can drop it into first, great, but if teeth are lined up on teeth, its not goin,, If youre parked, in neutral, let the clutch out,, if you need to GO, right NOW, pull the clutch & step on the shifter,,
remember, aim for a " I wont get sandwiched" spot & stay in 1st gear if you expect anyone to come up behind you. Tap the brake pedal, squeeze brake lever, whatever, pulse that brake lite, move the bike some, whatever, just dont let anyone fly up on you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:31:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't get back into 1st

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.