Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Loss when turn signal is on or brights on (Read 65 times)
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Power Loss when turn signal is on or brights on
08/19/13 at 13:10:31

Hey ya'll. Bought an '89 with 11,000 miles on it from a relative for cheap. It was barely running. I cleaned the carbs, replaced the fuel lines, changed the oil and all the filters and replaced the battery and adjusted the idle (it was really low and wouldn't stay on) and it ran fine for a couple of days.

One day I left, I drove it 1/2 mile down the road to get gas. My step dad was behind me and noticed my turn signals were acting sporadically (stayed on for a few seconds, and then flickered.) I filled it up, started to crank it and it clicked a couple of times but didn't turn over. Towed it home, was able to pop the clutch and it ran for a few minutes on the kickstand but when I would turn the high beams on or the turn signals on it would start to die unless I rev it up. Eventually it died. I tested the battery and it showed me ~10 volts.

I charged the battery last night and the tank is off and the left handle light control thing is off, I noticed a small amount of corrosion inside that. Also, the kick stand cut off thing is removed.

What could possibly be wrong? What should I look for?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Power Loss when turn signal is on or brights o
Reply #1 - 08/19/13 at 13:22:59

If you can charge the battery and get it running again.....check the voltage at the battery before you start it....and then again when it is running.  If the charging ciruit is working you should get voltage up around 14 volts at the battery.  If the voltage is about the same as it was before you started it - that indicates your charging circuit is not working.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mrissippi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/19/13 at 18:31:18

12 volts before cranked, 12 volts while running, 12 volts while rev'd up.

The rectifier looks new. I checked the rectifier with a multimeter and everything appeared to be ok but I'm not getting any charge or any reading above 12 volts at the battery terminals.

What else could it be? Should I find a new rectifier tomorrow and test that out?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/19/13 at 20:29:29

Might check the ac into the rectumfrier

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #4 - 08/22/13 at 17:28:16

FYI....a fully charges 12v battery should read no less than 13v on your VOM...anything less is weak...mine reads 13.2v ALL the time.

Also check your voltage regulator output...should also read 13-13.2v.

Anything more and you are overcharging the battery which will damage and/or shorten it's lifespan. Less than 13v and your battery will slowly drain until it can no longer fire the ignition coil.

Add a load like lights ect. and it will die quicker. (Like your's does)

Finally...do a load test on the battery to see if maintains it's voltage under load. If it can't the battery is bad.

I hope this helps you find the problem.

P.S. - Auto zone and Advance Auto Parts will test your battery and charging system for free but you will have to open the battery box to expose the battery terminals for them.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:39:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power Loss when turn signal is on or brights on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.