Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My great ride and starter problems (Read 136 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
My great ride and starter problems
08/19/13 at 08:34:55

Hey all, haven't been here in a while but I ran into my first problem with my bike this Sunday and was hoping for some enlightenment.
I was riding over Trail Ridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park on my way home. Beautiful ride by the way!!!

Anyway, before i started up I had filled up and started the bike with out incident. Just before the visitor center at the top I had pulled out and stopped to take in the view...again, started up no problem. Rode all the way down to Estes Park, through Estes and down the canyon into a town called Lyons, again no problems.

I pulled into a gas station and filled up for the rest of the ride home (70 miles). Flipped the key, turned ignition on, pulled the clutch and hit the starter button....CLICK< CLICK CLICK< CLICK....nada.
It sure sounded like the started had given out...bummer...pushed the bike into a parking spot and tried again...nothing...just the starter clicking away...

Now this gas station was swarming with people and happened to be in the lowest part of Lyons (which means no hills really)...there was a guy on a sport bike taking a break...I asked if he could help me "pop" start my bike...he said sure and I pushed the bike over to a hardware store parking lot next door which had the most pitiful incline going down into the swarming pumps of the gas station.

He had never pop started a bike but I had cuz I knew I would need to someday so I gave him the drill...
"you push, I'll put it in third, turn on the ignition and "on" switch, keep the clutch in till we get to speed and pop the clutch"...right-o...here we go..."MAN...so close"...
lets try again...
after 3 tries this guy was losing steam and the speed was dropping...he was spent and the parking lot mayhem wasn't helping...lol

I thanked him and he went on his way...talked with another guy in a pickup and he offered to tow me somewhere, then offered to help me load the bike in his truck...I mentioned that it wieghed 350 lbs and we'd need a ramp to get it into his pickup...I also thanked him and he went on his way.

I began walking to town since my cell phone was dying and couldn't get a signal and also to scout out a hill I might be able to push the bike up to get it up to speed. This town was bustling because of a Bluegrass festival so there were lots of cars and riders everywhere. Most of them Harleys but really lots of riders. I was gonna ask for more pushes but this gas station just wasn't gonna cut it so I decided to find a hill.

I spoke with a guy selling neon signs at a roadside stand after he commented that I was going to wear a groove into the edge of the road (I walked passed him several times). Anyway, I told him my story and said I found a nice paved hill just up the road to push it up. I was kinda done with waiting to see if the bike needed to cool off so I started pushing it to the hill I saw...

Pushed the bike about 1/4 mile to the hill, crossed 4 lanes of traffic when I saw an opening, and then proceeded to push it up this hill about 100 yards. I had to stop a lot since it was hot and I'm small (145 lbs) and i'm 55 years old...LOL
Got to the top, went through my routine and started rolling down the hill...when it got to 15mph I pop the clutch and hit the starter at the same time just for good measure....BOOM!...
It fired right up and I was a very happy camper!!! I crossed the 4 lanes of traffic and pulled over by the guy selling Neon signs. Without thinking I kicked the kickstand out and it immediately died.....OH NOOOOOOO!!!! Embarrassed
(Forgot about the kickstand switch or putting it in nuetral or any of the things you supposed to do when you stop...remember I was tired and hot so gimme a break)
I turned around and did the same routine (yes, back up the hill of sorrows!) but this time I got on the bike I made sure I had my riding leathers and helmet on. Fired it up again and headed back to Denver without stopping once....
End of story

Now the question...
This has never happened before. The starter was super hot when it wouldn't fire and I had come down off the pass using mostly engine braking. after I got home my starter has still very warm to the touch for hours and just clicked like before. I plan to try it after work today but what say yee of more mechanical knowledge than me? Is this a starter problem or a could it be something else?
Thanks for listening!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: My great ride and starter problems
Reply #1 - 08/19/13 at 08:59:38

First, as always, fully charge your battery before starting ANY electrical troubleshooting efforts.   Failing to do this causes "aw shucks" out the wazzoo, so go ahead and charge it on up please.   Tell us the voltage level your battery holds after a few cranks -- this tells us if your battery is getting sorry or not.  Next, clean up all the major electrical cable connections to make sure your juice is flowing freely through them.

The Starter Solenoid (starter electrical switch) takes the little bitty signal current from the starter button and uses it to close a BIG set of contacts armed with major red cables.   It is the item that is making the click click click sound.  

It does this click click click if the battery charge level is low or the battery is getting sorry.   It does this when the big cable junctions get corroded.  It does it when the button on the handlebar gets sorry.  It also does it at end of life when it finally craps out (your bike is way too young for this, btw).  You can find it easily, it lives at the other end of the big red cable that goes directly to your starter.   You can test it by supplying power to the button connection directly from your battery using a little jumper wire, this tells you if the trouble comes from your handle bar button.

If it isn't your handlebar button, next if you can spin your engine over easily by jumping directly to the electrical lug on top of the starter itself using jumper cables (bypassing everything) that tells you the starter is good or not.   If she spins up effortlessly then I would then consider replacing the starter solenoid as a last step AFTER cleaning up all the cable connections of course.

BTW, now is a great time to go find the main black ground connection over by your clutch lever and shine it up real good too.   Can't be forgetting the other half of the current path .... corrosion there is just as bad for your starter as the big red cable connections.

My first bet is always a sorry battery -- how old is your battery anyway?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/19/13 at 09:00:11

You didn't say why you had so much issue with push starting.
Either you were skidding to a stop or chugging with no joy.
3rd maybe too slow to get a good start.
I use 1st, but you gotta make sure the engine is on the exhaust stroke before you try. The engine is on the exhaust stroke when you can operate the decomp lever by hand w/o much force.  Just put the tranny in 4th and bump it forward 'till you can operate the lever.  Never backward... you'll bust out your starter.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 08/19/13 at 09:55:32

Hey thanks guys!
I plan to put the battery on the tender tonight and see if I get anything...I suspect it was the battery but was mystified cuz it started up just fine twice that day and I topped off the battery at the start of summer and got it charged up well.
For the most part I checked everything I thought might have come loose like the ground, the starter lug cable, battery connections etc...
The solenoid is I'm sure what was clicking although I always remember the starter clicking on my old cars so that's why I suspected that first.

If it WAS the solenoid would I be able to jump start it by going directly to the positive on the starter and then ground the negative to the frame? what would be the procedure? i.e. neutral gear, key turned, ignition switch on, clutch pulled in????

@Versy - I've never been able to get the thing to "pop" in 1st...I probably should have tried 2nd in the parking lot but like I said it was almost comical trying to negotiate cars. bikes and trucks in that gas station... Grin
I've always been able to get the thing going on an incline so pushing it up the hill seemed the best thing to do at the time...

P.S. the battery is original...I should probably get a new one anyway...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/19/13 at 10:04:38

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/13 at 09:00:11:
You didn't say why you had so much issue with push starting..

Well.....he sorta did.  He is 55 and weighs 145 pounds!  I am 5'-8" and weigh 156 and I am 57 years old.  I go to the gym every morning and work out hard.....and on Saturday I ran a 5K race and came in 1st in the 50-59 class and 4th overall......and I cannot push start my bike on level ground.  If I am in the lower gears the back wheel just slides when I pop the clutch and even bouncing on the seat as I let out the clutch doesn't help..  When I am in a higher gear I may get the engine to turn over once or twice and maybe even "POP".....but I can't get the clutch pulled in fast enough to keep it running.  1st through 3rd gears gets me a slding back wheel and a quick stop.......4th and 5th gets a pop or two before I come to a stop.  Trying to push the starter button doesn't help as the starter circuit is disabled when you click the bike into gear and the neutral light goes out.  I got stranded once with a dying battery and my wife and I pushed it all around a flat river bottom gas station lot and there was "NO JOY".  We finally jumped the starter wtih a car battery and cables.......and got back home.

Now that my bike is converted to have a manual compression release....I bet I could make it work!

BUBBA:  I am envious of the riding territory you have avaible.  I have been to Estes Park, Denver, Leadville, Longmont and all those areas - but it was in a car. Sad

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/19/13 at 11:05:20

Yeah, I figured the stater button was a moot point but what the hell...I was already rolling and didn't want to test it by trying to push it back up the hill!

I love riding this thing around the mountains here...I sometimes find myself being envious of the guys cruising the highways to get to the good stuff (I get blown around a fair bit) but then I am always happier that I don't have a big bike when the roads actually get interesting...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/19/13 at 11:14:56

Dave wrote on 08/19/13 at 10:04:38:
 I am 5'-8" and weigh 156 and I am 57 years old.  I go to the gym every morning and work out hard.....and on Saturday I ran a 5K race and came in 1st in the 50-59 class and 4th overall...
I'm 55, 240 and I'd only have beat you if the ambulance was going the same way.
Quote:
...and I cannot push start my bike on level ground.  If I am in the lower gears the back wheel just slides when I pop the clutch and even bouncing on the seat as I let out the clutch doesn't help..  

My tach said the starter turns over about 300 rpm.
Others have said idle in 1st is about 12 mph.
this equates to 6 mph which is about as fast as I can go.
the starter button method works if your battery is weak, but turns the starter good still.  If your safeties don't allow you to use the starter with the clutch pulled in, kickstand up, in gear... then something is wrong with your wiring.

The starter button method is push the button let it turn over once then pop the clutch... no need to let go of the starter button, it's automatic.  just let go before you pull in the clutch again.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/19/13 at 11:22:15

I thought the purpose of the clutch safety switch is to prevent you from using the starter when the bike is in gear....and the clutch lever is out ?  When I was trying to jump start my bike the starter no longer functioned as soon as I let the clutch out.

Somebody put their bike in gear, turn on the key, let the clutch lever out,  and then push the starter button....and see what happens.  My guess is that nothing happens until you pull in the clutch lever.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/19/13 at 12:10:39

safety operation:

clutch lever pulled in, kick stand up, in gear, push the button and it starts.

clutch lever pulled in, kick stand up or down, in neutral, push the button and it starts

clutch lever pulled in, kick stand down, in gear, push the button and nothing happens.

clutch lever out, kick stand up or down, in neutral or in gear, push the button and nothing happens.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: My great ride and starter problems - UPDATE!
Reply #9 - 08/21/13 at 10:08:44

Bad battery...ordered a big crank for 71 bucks from batterymart.com...free shipping!

I can't complain, the original battery lasted for 9 years!
Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/21/13 at 10:32:00

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/13 at 12:10:39:
safety operation:

clutch lever pulled in, kick stand up or down, in neutral, push the button and it starts

clutch lever pulled in, kick stand down, in gear, push the button and nothing happens.

clutch lever out, kick stand up or down, in neutral or in gear, push the button and nothing happens.

What about in gear, stand Up, lever in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/21/13 at 11:04:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/13 at 10:32:00:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/13 at 12:10:39:
safety operation:

What about in gear, stand Up, lever in?

ya got aixelsyd?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/21/13 at 11:22:33

Nope, nope, no lysdexia,, none at all,, yank thou,,

Dooooh,, I feeel soo STEWPID

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: My great ride and starter problems - UPDATE!
Reply #13 - 08/22/13 at 20:48:50

Bubba wrote on 08/21/13 at 10:08:44:
Bad battery...ordered a big crank for 71 bucks from batterymart.com...free shipping!....

Bubba,

You may be interested in this:

I modded mine for an easy, no-tools-needed jump start.

I found a used negative battery cable from my old '81 GL1100.  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

FYI, the lower-right portion of the jump start lead is not connected to anything....it just dead-heads to a terminal under the black insulating hose I've got shoved over the end.  Said terminal is easy to hook a positive jumper cable to.

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage) - it's the next best thing to having a kick-starter.

Had to use it in anger for the first time a few months ago, when my 9 year-old battery gave up the ghost.....

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 08/23/13 at 06:20:42

Hey thanks Digger...I've actually seen your rig in another post somewhere on here.
Definitely something to consider. This was the first time my bike has ever let me down...of course my stock battery also died after 9 years...i knew I was pushing it past it's useful life...
It just decided to conk out at the most inopportune time... Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:37:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My great ride and starter problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.