Send Topic Print
We have to stand up! (Read 145 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: We have to stand up!
Reply #15 - 08/19/13 at 09:15:42

I believe a fact finding mission would show insurance companies wrote most of it,
IIRC, Pelosi said
You cant KNOW whats in it till you pass it.

Now, If YOUR Lawyer signed a contract that YOU would have to make good & Had NOT Read it,, do you not see that as wrong?
It was WRONG to pass it,

That so many fail to grasp that simple PRINCIPLE is part of whats wrong in murca

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #16 - 08/19/13 at 09:49:47

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/19/13 at 07:46:11:
Further, I am all in favor of raising the age for Medicare and for full SS benefits too.
When I hit age 65 last year, I had to sign up for Medicare, even though I work full time+, practicing law and managing two other small businesses.  Why should I have to go on Medicare?  I would prefer to just keep on going like I have for all of my life, with private insurance covering me.
The same with SS benefits - this year I hit age 66, my full retirement age, so I could collect my full SS benefit without any reductions from my normal earnings.  Why does it make sense?  With modern life expectancies climbing every year, age 66 is just too young to start collecting if you are healthy and able to work.
Just raising it a year or two more would solve all of the problems with SS running out of money.

Jerry when I was able to work I had to pick up over 10,000 lbs a day. Most of the people that retire from my company are crippled with all kinds of medical problems. You worked hard for what you have and I've always will admire you for what you've done but the human body will only take so much physical labor. Not many people can pick up 10,000 lbs a day at 66. You were griping about school teachers and I agree, their job is not physical. It depends on the job. My wife got burnt out being a cop and she retired after 20 years. She works part time in law enforcement now but that's all she can take. Eveyones circumstances are not the same. That's my point.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 08/19/13 at 10:22:53

Midnight -

That's why I said I'm in favor of raising the age IF a person is healthy and able to work.  For those who aren't, then that's a different matter.

We have to remember that when SS was introduced in the early 1930s, the life expectancy was about the same as retirement age, 65.  I guess you could look at SS then as somewhat of a scam - you weren't expected to live long enough to get much, if anything, in benefits.

Today is much different.  While there are still jobs like you had, the percentage of jobs requiring physical labor to a major degree has fallen dramatically since the 1930s.  Today we are a service economy to the largest degree - more workers have desk jobs than ever before.

But we haven't adjusted SS to account for these major shifts in the work force, and in life expectancy.  To just "keep on keeping on" and paying out full benefits at age 66 will bankrupt the system, especially since Medicare was added in the 1960s.

So, for people afflicted with the effects of a life of physical labor, and for those whose jobs demand a higher degree of fitness, like police and firefighters, I'm all for leaving things as they are.

But for the rest of us who basically sit on our cans all day, and whose greatest work effort is picking up a pen or a phone handset, we've got to recognize reality and bump up the retirement age, but just a little.  Most of what I've read says that just a year or two increase would solve the problem entirely, even though life expectancy now is at least 10 to 12 years longer than in the 1930s.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #18 - 08/19/13 at 10:59:07

Jerry, all excellent posts:

My mother ( and I and my wife for that matter) are all insured by BC/BS of MS... pretty normal ins. As far as I can tell, mom has rather normal medical ( monthly) costs for someone her age. Some medicines are simply not covered by ins.. and some are covered but at a reduced rate, for various reasons.. the same pain we all deal with. I do know one of the "big costs" was hitting the "donut hole" each year. It amounts to being uninsured for about two months.

http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/medicare/a/understanding_part_d.htm

The donut hole amounts to $1710 ( per the URL above). She usually hits it about April of each year.

So between the $9600/yr BC?BS premium, the $1710 donut, plus all the drug costs and doctor costs and testing costs (doctors have her tested yearly regardless of condition), I suspect greater than 80% of her retirement just goes to such.

As to raising the retirement age. 1, 2 or even 3 or 4 years.. no biggie. But suspect, that is not the plan .. again.. my distrust. The plan is to raise it... then raise it... then raise it... kinda like postage stamps. As to "living longer" ... there is a caveat to that and figuring the right age.

The "average" age that American's reach has been going, and to be sure has gone a lot since 1950. But that average includes (it always does) infant mortality. So the truth is we aren't really living all that much longer... just those that died at birth/infancy/child age.. has gone down dramatically. This has the effect of raising the average life expectancy. Other things do as well, decreased smoking has helped.

My mother is the youngest of NINE children. Of the five brothers, all are dead. None made it past 70. Its the curse of the "Elmore" heart. Bad tickers.. I suspect I will die before age 70 as well. The girls last a bit longer. My mom, barely eats... and what she eats.... blech: oatmeal, prunes, brown rice, tuna, black beans, whey, some fresh fruit and veggie... never any red meat.. or pork, chicken on holidays.. if we come visit.  

I do want the system to continue, and the numbers have it as broken, mostly NOT because are living longer, but because it is at its root a pyramid scheme that is crashing. The money I have paid in all my live was never meant for me .. it was use by those needing it now. My money is to come from those that follow me... The problem is .. as a  boomer.. theres a whole lot of us and very few after.  So while my mothers parents had nine kids paying into the system to support them..each of those 9 only had at most 3 paying in to support them, and generally just the 2. Multiply by the entire country. Scheme is upside down.   Undecided

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #19 - 08/19/13 at 12:29:23

As I read through these it is interesting to note the problems all seem to be catastrophic illness but Obamacare has installed the "death panels" to control costs, thus ensuring these people will be denied coverage.

Obamacare does not help these people, wastes tons of money and greatly damages our healthcare system.

What could have been done is a catastrophic illness coverage that would have cost a 1/50th of the Obamacare pricetag and actually helped someone. Could have been paid for with existing taxes, assuming the government were a good steward of our tax dollars, which it isn't.

Now, everyone will have to pay $3,000+ a month for rationed care, assuming the death panel finds you viable.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #20 - 08/19/13 at 12:33:15

Pine wrote on 08/19/13 at 10:59:07:
.... but because it is at its root a pyramid scheme that is crashing. The money I have paid in all my live was never meant for me .. it was use by those needing it now. My money is to come from those that follow me... The problem is .. as a  boomer.. theres a whole lot of us and very few after.  So while my mothers parents had nine kids paying into the system to support them..each of those 9 only had at most 3 paying in to support them, and generally just the 2. Multiply by the entire country. Scheme is upside down.   Undecided

And the 30 million plus illegals on track for amnesty are not going to earn anywhere near enough to cover the difference with taxes, especially when they are near 100% net consumers of services, in that the taxes they pay no where near cover what they take.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/19/13 at 14:51:26

Hey,, The newly amnestied wont even be eligible for ANY Fed programs. That means they will be hired while Murcans arent

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #22 - 08/19/13 at 14:56:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/13 at 14:51:26:
Hey,, The newly amnestied wont even be eligible for ANY Fed programs. That means they will be hired while Murcans arent

That is part 1.1, step 1 is amnesty, step 1.1 is full benefits.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #23 - 08/19/13 at 15:09:10

Dane -
Sorry, but you're wrong.  I'm about as conservative as they come, but I feel for these Mexicans.
I am the grandson of an immigrant, so I'm fairly close to the situation.  If you are several generations away from the immigrant in your family, you can't understand what I'm about to say.
America is still the land of dreams for many foreigners, especially those from the Third World.  Until you hear an immigrant tell it, you can't appreciate what it takes for a person to leave family, friends, culture, and everything he/she knows to come here.  Often, to a place where they can't even speak the language.
Of course there are bad Mexicans, like there are bad people of every heritage.  But the great majority of them endured personal and significant danger to just get here.  Why do you think they did that; just to get an American hotdog?
These people work their butts off.  The ones I've met are usually men who left their families at home because they are sick and tired of seeing their wives and kids living in conditions that you and I can't really appreciate.  Once here, they do work that most of us wouldn't even consider.  They live 10 or more to a 2 bedroom apartment, so they can send money back home to put a decent meal in front of their kids now and then.
I say all of this because our law firm has a significant immigration practice, and we see these poor souls every other day or so.  While I don't practice in this area personally, I see the people and hear the stories.
My grandfather left a job sweeping out stables when he was 18 years old, packed everything he owned in a trunk, and endured a several week trip in the bowels of an old steam ship to get to the U.S.  He immediately went to work here and paid his own way from day one.
My only complaint, and it's the fault of the gov't as much as anything for not declaring English to be our official language and tolerating the long term use of Spanish, is that the Mexican immigrants don't learn English quickly enough, nor well enough.  End of speech.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/19/13 at 20:42:17

Dane Allen wrote on 08/19/13 at 14:56:34:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/13 at 14:51:26:

That is part 1.1, step 1 is amnesty, step 1.1 is full benefits.

Well, right now its NO Benefits ( federal) for like 13 years.. Actually, for them, its a blessing, dodge Bamicare.,Lose a few options, but avoid a bullet..

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #25 - 08/20/13 at 09:41:22

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/19/13 at 15:09:10:
Dane -
Sorry, but you're wrong.  I'm about as conservative as they come, but I feel for these Mexicans....

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure it is a conservative issue, rather, a human rights issue. Allow to me to explain. I grew up in an agricultural community, my summer jobs were right alongside not just Mexican nationalities but other nationalities as well.

There is a difference between those who immigrate here permanently and those who only come here temporarily to send money home. One has adopted this country as their own and the other is only here as long as they can benefit financially, which is not a bad thing in itself but it is in a way that breaks many of our laws.

I will posit that there are those who prey on the plight of the Mexicans who suffer in the conditions back in Mexico you have outlined in your post. I will also put forth that we are not helping them at all by allowing them to come here and be exploited.

What of those who cannot come here to work and are left behind in Mexico? Doesn’t the money these workers send home just help prop up the corruption that is keeping the Mexican populace down? Isn’t it odd that we can invade multiple countries on multiple continents at once but can’t seem to bring a smidgeon of pressure on the border country to our South? We put immense pressure on Israel and Cuba, why can’t we do the same to Mexico?

I’ve heard from many Mexicans that they would rather be in Mexico but that the political and economic climate there is unbearable. So we bring the most able bodied here to work in sweat shops, agriculture and to clean Michael Moore’s mansions. Wouldn’t it be better, If were we not to intervene directly in Mexico, to make it as difficult as possible for Mexicans to come here so that the social pressure becomes soo great that they take their country back themselves and make life better for ALL Mexicans?

Yes, the short term fix is to bring a small percentage of the Mexico population here, work them to the bone so that they can send money home but all that does is prop up the current system and ensures nothing will change for the better. My Conservatism is oriented mainly fiscal and freedom issues and I see that Mexicans are not economically free to pursue their own happiness and it is fiscal insanity to provide all illegals with our welfare benefits.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 08/20/13 at 11:40:54

Assimilate or go home. One set of great grandparents were Irish born, one set German born, another great grandmother was English born. The rest were USA born. The foreign born ones assimilated and became fairly successful, as well as could be expected in the early 20th century. It still is not that difficult to become an American, if you are willing to work at it, learn English, and follow the rules.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 08/20/13 at 11:49:10

Don't forget that the English and Irish immigrants already spoke English.  But I agree - lay the blame on the liberals in Congress who refuse to adopt English as our official language, and now push bi-lingual signs everywhere.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #28 - 08/20/13 at 13:43:40

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/19/13 at 15:09:10:
Dane -
Sorry, but you're wrong.  I'm about as conservative as they come, but I feel for these Mexicans....

Oh and I completely forgot to acknowledge and applaud you for your honest caring for these people beyond what you can get back from them in cheap labor and such. That should have been the first thing I said before going into anything else.

I shudder to think what would happen were they no longer found to have any substantive value beyond cheap labor and liberal votes.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #29 - 08/20/13 at 15:11:05

WD wrote on 08/20/13 at 11:40:54:
Assimilate or go home. One set of great grandparents were Irish born, one set German born, another great grandmother was English born. The rest were USA born. The foreign born ones assimilated and became fairly successful, as well as could be expected in the early 20th century. It still is not that difficult to become an American, if you are willing to work at it, learn English, and follow the rules.

+1

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:24:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › We have to stand up!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.