Whoops... (Read 126 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Whoops...
08/18/13 at 20:12:16

I was doing a bunch of maintenance on the savage today - everything from oil change, spark plug, checking my valve clearances, and checking the torque on my head nuts.  As I was reinstalling the head cover engine mounts, I pinched 2 of the wires for the sidestand relay...

YUP, those wires are CUT.   Angry

Well, I guess I'll go read up on how to delete the sidestand relay.  I'm already on my way.  Roll Eyes

Anybody else do anything like that?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Whoops...
Reply #1 - 08/18/13 at 20:42:49

Easy peasy, the bike side of the harness can be twisted together and covered with a SMALL (blue or gray, mine is gray but faded,it's from 98 so may have started out blue) wire nut. Or trace back to the green connector, cut and connect in the main harness there with a butt connector.

Your bike says thank you, one less failure prone widget to leave you two stranded in the backside of nowhere in the middle of the night with no tools or tape...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 08/18/13 at 21:08:04

Oh, goody!  I knew they could be an issue.  I'll tin, solder, and heat shrink them all.  I've never been one for wire nuts; they just don't look clean.  Tongue

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/18/13 at 21:19:22

Yeah, was going to do the same, but my "temporary fix" has held for 15 years... it's hidden.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/20/13 at 10:10:07

The "transfiguremutation" of my bike to a Cafe' conversion  included removing the sidestand and clutch safety interlocks.  If you try to start the bike in gear with the clutch out......it will.  If you try to ride off with the kick stand down.......it will.

I am OK with that......I am "Old School" and so is my bike.  I learned to ride a bike that did not have these devices......and for the last 45 years I have survived without them.

I can see how these devices can help a new rider safely learn how to ride a bike.....but I also don't want them failing and making me walk home someday.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 08/20/13 at 14:16:08

I'm well aware of all that.  I'm still (attempting) rebuilding my '73 CB500.  I'm well aware of old school bikes, and completely prepped myself mentally for the day that I would be able to ride it.  I've got good habits, so I should be fine.

I started this thread over here in hopes to get some more stories.  I guess nobody else wants to share their "whoops" moments...  Huh

Oh, I forgot. I'm the only one.  Grin

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 08/20/13 at 15:11:45

Oh boy...  just finished connecting all 4 wires together from the relay.  As soon as I turn the key, I my relay fuse pops.  You DID mean to connect all 4 to each other, right?

I'll go start my search through RSD.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 08/20/13 at 16:00:38

Nope, there are only 2 of interest for the side stand nightmare. 2 more for the clutch mess. I even deleted my switch boxes, now have to sort the rest of that mess out.

Probably help if I could find/read a bare bones wiring diagram, or use a voltmeter. I've tried, ain't happening. So I go one wire at a time. Kind of funny, seeing as I can replace the entire harness in a 54 Chevy truck in 2 hours... and everything works.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 08/20/13 at 16:08:00

I seem to have taken a turn towards RSD.  Please move me if you deem necessary.

So I found this.  It looks like I need to make 2 smaller separate connections rather than one big one.  I'll try connecting Orange to Orange/Black and Orange to Green.  I guess O/B and G just can't touch.

I know how to read a schematic, but somehow bike wiring diagrams still seem to get me.  Huh

Will post results after I get more 20A fuses...

vroom1776 wrote on 02/07/07 at 10:20:29:
In the diagram below, I've added some colors to indicate the conenctions described above.  later I will post a "simplfied wiring diagram."

1) = blue dot
2) = red line
3) [a] = green dot
3) [b] = light blue line

I have not shown new opens

Reading in the other recent electical thread, there are multiple frame grounds?  The only one I can think of is from the battery to the engine.  What other ones are there?  or did I misread twice?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 08/20/13 at 18:43:17

Got everything sorted out.  Connect Orange to Orange black.  Leave Green DISCONNECTED from orange.  I guess that's what was blowing my fuses.  Turned it on, plugged in my tank, checked all my lights.  Everything works as advertised - except for the side stand safety, of course. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:28:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Whoops...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.