Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Test ride with new shocks (Read 57 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Test ride with new shocks
08/17/13 at 19:01:33

I bought some nearly new HD Sporster shocks and finally got around to mounting them.  I had to mill off the sides of the eyes or whatever they are called to match the S40 mounting studs.  Then I had to rework the bushings on a lathe to get the proper size.

It was worth it.  It made a noticeable difference in both the ride and the handling.  It is quicker to turn into the corners and is generally more responsive in turns.  I had it out twice and still haven't gotten used to it yet.

The HD shocks didn't bottom out once and they are a little softer and do a little better at dampening, definitely less bouncing.  My back was aching so bad I was avoiding the Savage but now it rides fairly well.  I think I would like it to ride a little softer and have slightly more dampening but this is a major improvement.

At 11 1/2 inches there were no clearance problems, the belt isn't rubbing against the guard.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Re: Test ride with new shocks
Reply #1 - 08/17/13 at 19:36:31

Awesome!  It's amazing what a difference suspension changes make.

Out of curiosity, what kind of lathe do you have?

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/18/13 at 06:02:46

My lathe is a Logan model 2555 made in the sixties, 12 inch swing, 35 between centers.  Through the years I have acquired all the possible accessories for it, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collets, taper attachment, steady rest, etc.  I paid very little and usually nothing for all the stuff.  It can cut screws but has no provisions for metric threads.  I have heard that at one time metric components were made for the gear box so that it could be converted to metric thread cutting.  It is getting a little old and not as tight as it should be.  

My mill is a 42 inch vertical mill.  Both machines are larger than what I need now.  It would be nice to have modern machines with digital readouts but I don't do enough to justify the expense.  They are both 220v 3 phase and to produce the power I use a phase converter.  The mill works great with the power converter but the lathe motor tends to overheat with any serious turning or thread cutting session.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/18/13 at 09:02:22

Ahhhh,, boys & their toys,, Im Supposed to get a drill press from the late 60's, early 70's , Craftsman, That has abuot Zero hours on it.. I dont need a lathe often enough to justify having one, BUt,, Ive seen times when a small mill would be great & this press will make one,, with the right vise.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/18/13 at 10:34:33

Same way I make rifle stocks, milling bit in a drill press. Works great. Takes forever to mill steel parts, but handles those jobs too.

Making a new hammer nose for one of my revolvers, as the "factory" in the Basque region of Spain went away decades ago. Nobody has spare parts for Basque made guns these days.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:16:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Test ride with new shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.