Send Topic Print
Virago?? (Read 245 times)
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Re: Virago??
Reply #15 - 08/18/13 at 08:48:24

Thanks a lot again! The tank is a Benelli mojave 360 tank reprodution from india. It was a lot of work with it becauce it was a raw steel tank. A lot of cafe racers use this tank. I had a long process with electrolysis to remove rust, then I had a round with different chemicals and a sealer in the end. Big fun. Electrolysis is very simle and looks like magic! I guess it will fit on the Savage to. It has a very wide tunell. I made a bracket to fix it to the original fram mounts. At the rear I made a special connection with a pin. see photo:

pin_001.jpg

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #16 - 08/18/13 at 08:51:41

More photoes, drying out the sealer in the tank took two weeks. I used å fan and a vacum cleaner tube.

dry.jpg

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #17 - 08/18/13 at 08:54:57

Self made headlight mount. Very easy made with a tube and a sheet metal. 3 holes an just veld on nuts on the other side. I used the "closed end nut" I was very happy with this weld. I used 2mm pin with the current for a 2,5 mm pin (80A) and welded "downhill". 2 mm stainless aisi 316 material. THe metal floated out and evrything ended up smooth. It is a bicycle rubber tube between the fork and the self made headlight mount.

headlight_001.jpg

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #18 - 08/18/13 at 08:58:07

Home made tail light. fixed to the frame with two bolts. Plastic part bought from wrenchmonkees.

tail.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/18/13 at 08:58:46

You are a fine craftsman,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #20 - 08/18/13 at 08:59:03

Finding right position for the tail light. The old battery is now swapped with a tiny LI-ion 270CCA. At least 5 times lighter and much smaller.

producing.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/18/13 at 09:04:37

Halvor wrote on 08/18/13 at 08:48:24:
Thanks a lot again! The tank is a Benelli mojave 360 tank reprodution from india. It was a lot of work with it becauce it was a raw steel tank. A lot of cafe racers use this tank.

how much gas does it hold?

WWW   IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #22 - 08/18/13 at 12:37:03

I am not sure. Never thought about it Cheesy 10 liter maybee. ??

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/18/13 at 15:08:21

That is a beautiful work of art, nicely done (takes his hat off to Halvor)

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #24 - 08/19/13 at 14:15:40

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Heres some photoes from electrolysis rust removal. Watch out. Hydrogen gas is produced. The electrolyt is natrium-carbonat. Be carful about other chemicals. Salt water will for excample produce the war gas "Clorid gas". I painted the tank black first but did not like it.
« Last Edit: 08/20/13 at 00:55:19 by Halvor »  

el1.jpg

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #25 - 08/19/13 at 14:16:13

el2.jpg

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #26 - 08/19/13 at 14:16:51

The different stages of corroded steel will behave in different ways. Copied from this link : http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f38/rust-removal-using-electrolysis-63065.html

1.) The outer layer of red rust is the surface we see and consists primarily of a compound with the chemical formula Fe2O3 (nH2O), known as ferric oxide. This material takes up rather more volume than the metal it replaces and as a result it tends to flake away from the surface and if it occurs in mechanical devices, can seize up moving parts. The loss of this loose layer of rust represents a total loss of metal from the component which cannot be recovered.
2.) Underneath this outer layer of red rust may be found a harder, darker layer of material having an almost purple-grey appearance when freshly exposed. This layer is often in direct contact with the surface of the metal and is able to conduct electricity. It has the chemical formula Fe3O4 which is the same chemical composition as the mineral Magnetite and is therefore sometimes referred to as such, although it is more commonly referred to simply as 'Black Rust'. As this material occupies the same volume as the original iron, surface features on the metal can sometimes be preserved in it with little distortion and as it tends to remain strongly bonded to the underlying metal, is fairly resistant to becoming detached and subsequently flaking off.
As the reaction involved in producing rust is an electrochemical one, it follows that it should be possible to somehow reverse the process using electricity, and this is indeed the case. As long as the polarity is correct, with the subject matter connected as cathode, it is possible to chemically reduce some of the black rust back to metallic iron with a good bond to the original metal. During this process, much of the red rust is converted to Fe3O4 and becomes detached from the surface, aiding its removal when the conversion is complete.

el3.jpg

IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #27 - 08/19/13 at 21:35:54

Awesome!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home