Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles? (Read 187 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles?
Reply #15 - 08/20/13 at 19:27:14

verslagen1 wrote on 08/16/13 at 23:53:11:
....the real question is what did you start with?

Ver,

Well, I measured the outermost annular ridge on the rotor and came up with ~0.18".  I'm presuming that would be about the thickness of a brand new (old-style) rotor.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 08/20/13 at 20:15:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/17/13 at 09:54:24:
Digger, we went round & round about 5 years ago on some brake pads (ceramic SBS in particular) causing a lot more rotor wear than other pads (EBC was the other one compared).  

Which brand of pads have you been using to get so much wear on your rotor?

Yeah, I hear ya.  I've always been an advocate of "soft" pads that don't last very long, but yield good rotor life.

To answer your question, the OEM pads lasted 3500 miles.  I replaced them with Ferodo Platinum pads (organic).  Those lasted until 7600 miles, when I replaced them with EBC (pretty sure they were organic, but they say "FA106X" on the backs of the pads, whereas the new EBC pads I'm putting in there (organic, also) say just "FA106" on their back, with no "X" suffix).

I did, however, make an interesting discovery as I was pulling the caliper apart so that I could grease the slide pins:  Apparently, back during my first pad change (3500 miles on the bike, July 04 - nine years and 10,000 miles ago), I greased said pins using "Kendall Super-Blu Multi-Purpose Grease L-427."  Said grease is a blue-colored, lithium based, NGLI No. 2 grease that is recommended for, among other things, "High Temp Disc Brake."  Well, the grease had gotten so thick that I had a fairly hard time pulling the caliper holder from the caliper body proper.

I can't imagine that the pads were easily backing off from the rotor when I let up on the brakes.....there was probably some fairly decent residual contact, which would eat on the rotor, I suppose.

In any event, I plan on using this stuff to grease the pins this time (which I will do every pad change from now on):

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/20/13 at 21:34:24

Woe is me,, I just slap some antiseize on,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 08/21/13 at 06:08:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/13 at 21:34:24:
Woe is me,, I just slap some antiseize on,,

Anti-seize works fine. The can I'm using now is Permatex brand - silver color. This is a very common problem with brake calipers on a lot of cars up here in the salt-belt. The cure is to pull the pins, and slather them up with Anti-sieze once a year or so.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 08/22/13 at 20:27:48

Anti-sieze may work but it's not optimum, as it's not waterproof.....

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:44:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.