Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles? (Read 187 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles?
08/16/13 at 19:39:24

Hello all,

Changin' out front brake pads today, I stuck a mike on my front brake rotor.  I'm gettin' a thickness of 0.155" or so.

The FSM says that the wear limit is 0.160"!

Now, my bike is strictly an urban warrior.  It's got less than 14,000 miles on it.  And, I'm not thinkin' I need to get real worried yet.

1. What are the thoughts from the hive mind concerning the criticality of my situation?  I'm thinkin' I'll change it out in another 13,000 miles or so - it's grooved a bit, but not too bad....

Some research revealed that the part number for the front brake rotor has changed at least once over the years.  The part number for the 1986-2004 models (mine is a 2001 model) is 59211-24B00.  The part number for the 2005-2009 models is 59211-24B10.  I was unable to get the part number for any bikes newer than a 2009 model.

2. Is a 2004 model year front brake rotor interchangeable with a 2005 model year number front brake rotor?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles?
Reply #1 - 08/16/13 at 23:31:19

You don't strike as a squiddly type, Digger... Grin...

You do strike me as the observant type...
I believe the main fear of worn rotor, is overheating of that thin metal, and resultant warping...
If you notice pulsating  down the road,.. that will indicate that rotor has warped,... and you'll know why...
I wouldn't worry 'till I felt it...

I am a cheap bastard though... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/16/13 at 23:53:11

I'd go ahead and change it.
wear characteristics are akin to hardness
and hardness is akin to strength

the real question is what did you start with?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/16/13 at 23:59:50

Versy calls me right out when I'm wrong... Grin...

That's a big yes/no if yer keeping track... Grin...

Undecided...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/17/13 at 00:09:30

I was going to agree with you and as I was building a case...
I ran thru safety factors...
and strength...
and hardness...
and soft materials wear faster...
bingo.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/17/13 at 00:29:14

... and I am cheap... Grin...

My Geo Metro,.. has such tiny drums on the back, that the machine shop said they can't turn them...
Huh... K-rap!...
I put them back on, and have been running for 20k miles...
...(PS, don't stop short in front of me)...  Grin...

That may not support my opinion... but, it does explain it... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/17/13 at 04:13:41

WEll,, they both make good points.. Ima cheap one, too..

IF its softer toward the middle, shouldnt the braking improve?

Could you check thickness, write it down, with miles on the bike, then check thickness every 1,000 miles or so & see how fast the disc is going away?
Of course, if it warps, its time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/17/13 at 06:43:49

Just went out and measured mine. 2006/a bit over 10,000 mi.

Measured in three places  -  .174 in.

So Diggers is .019 thinner. That's about the thickness of two sheets of typing paper. If it was mine, and it was still flat,I wouldn't worry about it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/17/13 at 07:55:46

Well,, ya know,, the same folks told us Juuust how to use that belt tensioning doohickey. You dont suppose some engineer just randomly popped that number outta hizzass do ya? Or you spose they calculated the heat input coming down from a hot run & the heat consumption/dissipation & somehow decided that it was just liable to fail?
Id ride it, but God if you do & it gets ya Ima feel bad forever

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 08/17/13 at 09:03:17

Mine is as thick as the day it first shipped in 1997 as a 1998 model... and I'm probably going to use a Titan front wheel... twin leading shoe drum. Titan and first 6 months of production GT750 2 stroke triple are the only good brakes "Slow Pokey" ever made...

My rotor was over tempered, sounds like Digger's was under tempered. Typical. I'd rather have under tempered and add the next thickness of pads when the rotor has worn down a bit. EBC has the same 106 brake pad in 3 thicknesses...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/17/13 at 09:49:38

Annealing?   Heat softening your rotor?   Really, oh my goodness we are all gonna jest DIE from that there deadly blue rotor-itus ....

Come to the mountains with us when Big Zuk is leading the pack ....  we've stopped at the Dragon overlook and remarked that all the Suzukis sitting there jest a pinging their exhaust systems from the hard run they all had blue front disk rotors from all the hard braking we'd been a doing.

.160" has been noted in the past as being a very conservative change point for a rotor that Suzuki wants such megga bucks just to sell you another thin arsed one.

I am at .166" right now (just measured it) and I still have Dragon blue down at the bottom of my wear grooves.   I'll change mine when it finally does warp.  Since it has been thermally abused twice a year for over six years now that warpage thing isn't so easy to do, now is it?

Grin

Remember, when the time comes EBC sells a thicker rotor for less money.  Or you can buy a ENTIRE used front wheel assembly for less than Suzuki wants for just the rotor.   You get some free tire life that way too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/17/13 at 09:54:24

Digger wrote on 08/16/13 at 19:39:24:
Hello all,

Changin' out front brake pads today, I stuck a mike on my front brake rotor.  I'm gettin' a thickness of 0.155" or so.

Now, my bike is strictly an urban warrior.  It's got less than 14,000 miles on it.  And, I'm not thinkin' I need to get real worried yet.

1. What are the thoughts from the hive mind concerning the criticality of my situation?  I'm thinkin' I'll change it out in another 13,000 miles or so - it's grooved a bit, but not too bad....

Some research revealed that the part number for the front brake rotor has changed at least once over the years.  The part number for the 1986-2004 models (mine is a 2001 model) is 59211-24B00.  The part number for the 2005-2009 models is 59211-24B10.  I was unable to get the part number for any bikes newer than a 2009 model.

2. Is a 2004 model year front brake rotor interchangeable with a 2005 model year number front brake rotor?

TIA!

Digger, we went round & round about 5 years ago on some brake pads (ceramic SBS in particular) causing a lot more rotor wear than other pads (EBC was the other one compared).  

Which brand of pads have you been using to get so much wear on your rotor?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/17/13 at 10:26:50

annealing for steel occurs around 1900°F
whereas blueing will occur around 6 to 800°F
which is around the tempering temp. if the steel has been full hardened.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 08/17/13 at 10:45:10

Rotor on mine is so hard that brake pads skip instead of trying to slow the bike. It is okay at low speeds, but anything over about 35mph, forget it, just noise and pad debris. Even with EBC pads.

I have access to a couple hundred sets of Titan asbestos brake shoes. I know the wheel works on my Savage, have used it before, Just need to order some new (matching) 1" brake/clutch perches and levers and get a cable made. I have the removable stay Titan wheel, not the tabbed brake plate version, so just bolt the stay to the fender bolt.

Means the 1963 Honda 250 will be sls front and tls rear like stock, but with only 14 or 17hp, I can live with that.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/17/13 at 11:10:53

verslagen1 wrote on 08/17/13 at 10:26:50:
annealing for steel occurs around 1900°F
whereas blueing will occur around 6 to 800°F
which is around the tempering temp. if the steel has been full hardened.

For a full anneal yes, but the draw temperatures are much lower.   What we do on the Dragon is a many times repeated deep blue draw zone heat/cool cycle, which progressively softens the rotor steel slowly over time.

But it never reaches the point the rotor becomes useless.  It may reach the point the rotor begins to wear faster though.  These repeated heat/cool cycles will stress relieve the rotor, so if it had any built in stress buckle left in it from the original sheet metal mill "big roll" form it would show itself after getting blue hot.

Versy is right, anneal was the wrong word.  A full anneal on a stainless rotor would take a dull red temperature and I do not think we have ever seen a rotor glowing in the dark yet.

Wink    but we is a working on it every early summer Dragon trip

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:29:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is My Front Brake Rotor Done After 13K Miles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.