Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock issue a concern on 2012 S40? (Read 79 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Petcock issue a concern on 2012 S40?
08/15/13 at 18:57:39

I just bought a new 2012 S40. Is the petcock issue as well as the other "Newbie"  info pertenent to this late of a model, or the older bikes?

Rick in Indiana

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Petcock issue a concern on 2012 S40?
Reply #1 - 08/15/13 at 19:44:45

Welcome Rick!  The short answer is ...yes,the petcock is a concern for all years.  Now,having said that,you don't need to worry about it for a couple of years or until it starts giving you fits!

The "noobie" info is also for all models,with the possible exception of the starter gear issue on pre-1994(?) models.

By the way....what part of the Hoosier state are ya in? I'm just across the river from Madison!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/15/13 at 19:44:56

Same cheaply made part, now made in China instead of Japan. Some last for years, some last for days. I'd go ahead and get the Raptor now, it's cheaper than a tow truck.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/16/13 at 04:21:41

ZAR wrote on 08/15/13 at 19:44:45:
Welcome Rick!  The short answer is ...yes,the petcock is a concern for all years.  Now,having said that,you don't need to worry about it for a couple of years or until it starts giving you fits

Or until you start modifying the bike!   Grin

And WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #4 - 08/16/13 at 06:43:04

Thanks for the responses. I check into buying the petcock. BTW, I'm up by Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I'm doing modifications already. I added a Suzuki engine crash bar. I didn't know if I'd like it when I picked it up, but the triangulation of the bolt-on makes it really strong. I'm waiting for the Suzuki back rest/rear rack combo to come in. Then I can attach my roll bag and camping gear on. I'd like to tour on it once it's broke-in. I just returned some saddlebags (RiverRoad compact throw-overs) as the dealer thought they could be installed under the seat as well. Not so. Certainly wouldn't be comfortable for the passenger to sit on and interfered with their legs. I don't like the looks of Suzuki's S40 bags. I've found a Milwaukee set (#722's) that I think I can modify to fit around the retifier (sp?) 11x11x4. Not very big, but look good, leather and they would hold tools, rain gear, etc. Anyway, thanks again. I think I made a good choice of bikes.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/16/13 at 07:33:33

rijopiatt wrote on 08/16/13 at 06:43:04:
I'd like to tour on it once it's broke-in.

If you don't get a Raptor soon.....at least be familiar with the symptoms of the failure, and get a rubber vacuum plug and a golf tee and put them in your tool kit, and become familiar with how to bypass the vacuum circuit and use the "PRIME" setting so you can get back home if the vacuum patcock should fail while you are traveling.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:39:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock issue a concern on 2012 S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.