Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bought a Savage, need some advice! (Read 142 times)
DannyParanoid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bought a Savage, need some advice!
08/15/13 at 09:19:38

Hi guys!

Ive just bought a savage based bobber (pics to follow when i take some) but it's not running very well. It's alright when cold, but once warm it tends to misfire and be jerky on acceleration. It's had a conversion to a points ignition system somewhere in its life so maybe this is the problem?

It also has a Mk1 Amal carb on it, which we have taken apart, cleaned out, resealed and put back on to which no difference was made.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bought a Savage, need some advice!
Reply #1 - 08/15/13 at 09:32:18

DannyParanoid wrote on 08/15/13 at 09:19:38:
Hi guys!

Ive just bought a savage based bobber (pics to follow when i take some) but it's not running very well. It's alright when cold, but once warm it tends to misfire and be jerky on acceleration. It's had a conversion to a points ignition system somewhere in its life so maybe this is the problem?

It also has a Mk1 Amal carb on it, which we have taken apart, cleaned out, resealed and put back on to which no difference was made.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

Looking forward to the pics on this modification.  

Need to see pics on this rig up to try to answer your question as most everything ignition/electrical wise on the bike gets routed through the black box and you ain't got one any more.  

So .... you have a somewhat unique situation to deal with.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/15/13 at 09:43:58

I HATE cdi ignitions and CV carbs, can't wait to see a points and real carburetor conversion.

Check your points gap, check for pitting, check for "wobble" on the points cam.

I have a bunch of points fired engines... 1949 Dodge truck with 218 and 230 flathead 6 engines, 1969 Dodge truck with a 318 V8, 1971 (licensed as) Dodge truck based RV with 413-3 V8, 1972 Super Beetle, 1963 Honda CL72 (250 Scrambler) motorcycle, 1971 Honda CL100 Scrambler motorcycle, John Deere 1020 UL 3 cylinder gasoline fueled tractor, several outboards and generators...

Points are easy.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/15/13 at 09:45:30

It's alright when cold, but once warm it tends to misfire and be jerky on acceleration.

What jets are in it? What exhaust is on it?

Now, in my world, a cold engine is lean & needs a choke,,If yours runs okay cold & funky warm,, are you gettin black sooty stuff on the rear wheel? Just the description
good /cold
bad/warm
leads me to think it mite be rich,

Hows the MPG?

How many miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/15/13 at 10:11:36

I like this answer...
Quote:
ok I have a tuned bsa c25 engine and its a fit engine but it seems to not get enough fuel? it runs well but its white in center of spark plug and it seems a tad short on power? the air/fuel is in all the way=rich and I've tried the choke on full and half. I've stripped it down to c if out is blocked but it isn't. help?

Quote:
This is one of the worst carbs to tune. The air/fuel screw should be set to 1 1/2 turns out. If it's all the way in and still runs, you need to replace the screw (the tip is probably bent). Next, start checking for air leaks. AmalMK1s provide enough fuel for the bike, your leg and the ground. If it's running lean, it's from to much air

Your PO was a masochist.... did he also convert the electrics to Lucas?

There are so many ways this could go wrong, take one and chase it down.
I'd find somebody with a diagnostic scope and hook it up, it'll tell you a lot.
But I have to go with JOG's answer... jetting is most likely the issue.

and we need pictures, this is the most wild a$$ed mod yet.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/15/13 at 10:59:09

I find it incredible that anyone would remove a perfectly good electronic ignition system and replace it with points. Particularly when the electronic system can automatically take care of spark advance, impossible with mechanically actuated points unless they also incorporate centrifugal and vacuum advances.

By the way, the Savage/S40 has NEVER had a CDI - it is a TCI.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/15/13 at 17:31:48

It's still a mystery box of doom... Wish I had the how to rebuild your Savage black box thread from the old forum, neat read, and at the time (1999/2000) it was about $10 worth of "small stuff" from Radio Shack.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 08/15/13 at 18:27:43

I would love to see the points conversion. Carry $10 worth of spares in your tool kit and say goodbye to expensive electronic junk that you need $10,000 worth of test equipment to diagnose. And, when the EMP comes, the only thing you'll have to replace might be the coil because of its internal diode.

I'll agree electronics don't require as much maintenance, and are more reliable when working, but there's no middle ground, they're dead or working. Dead=expensive. No quick rigged roadside repair.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/16/13 at 03:54:16

I'll agree electronics don't require as much maintenance, and are more reliable when working, but there's no middle ground, they're dead or working. Dead=expensive. No quick rigged roadside repair.

sums it up nicely & fits the
Every rose has its thorn
theory

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DannyParanoid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/16/13 at 13:08:51

Yeah its got a lot wrong with it, ill upload some pictures tomorrow so you can all get a look, ive had a go at moving the carb needle to try and adjust the fueling to see if that makes a difference but no success so far!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/16/13 at 13:12:40

What jets are in it?
Whats your elevation above sea lavel?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:41:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought a Savage, need some advice!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.