Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken clutch cable mount, tranny side (Read 73 times)
digit321
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broken clutch cable mount, tranny side
08/14/13 at 21:58:47

I have a broken clutch cable mount on the tranny, I have heard some people fixed similar issue by make a custom bracket/mount. Does anyone have any advise and/or pics of what they did?

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Broken clutch cable mount, tranny side
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 22:40:19

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/14/13 at 22:56:35

Versy is the god of the search button... it never works for me...

Best luck with the fix... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
digit321
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/14/13 at 23:57:17

Thx Versy.  

Anyone else have a picture of a custom mount they made?  Although zip ties may work, I don't want that as a permanent fix, need something a bit more solid.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/15/13 at 00:46:33

Id JB weld it back on, then drill small enough holes on either side of the hole so that the diameter of the hole is no more than 1/2 of the material on each side of the hole. then JB weld a hard rod in the holes,.

If th vertical height is sufficient to get 2 rods in each side, Id do that.
You can also put bracing across the top & bottom of the perch, down the sides,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
digit321
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/15/13 at 07:58:05

Unfortunately, I do not have the piece that broke off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/15/13 at 08:32:00

Well,, smooth up the end, get a piece of aluminum, drill a hole, cut it off where it needs cut.. Build the busted part back up. Youll need to put the motor on the bench & build that pedestal. You can build your part with a leg to support the end, Youre gonna hafta be a craftsman & be imaginative & look at the problem, see, in your mind, what you need & then build it. I could fix it,, it would not be quick, but it would stay & it would look normal, on a walk by. Anyone who KNows these bikes could tell, but anyone else would be very unlikely to spot it,,
I would clean up the busted part & study it, then Id get a chunk of aluminum, you can get bar stock, well I can,, I have no idea what resources are available where you are,, but hardware stores have some handy stuff. If you cant find aluminum easy, call a machine shop & ask where they buy material.
Remember, you need to maximize the surface area where the part is repaired to make room for what will effectively be dowel rods,,
Cheap dowel rods that can be glued in real good? Drill bits,, 1/8th bits are cheap, a grinder to rough up the shank & leave room for JB weld to crawl up..
You got a dremel? Youre gonna need something along those lines, & a 4.5" angle grinder would be handy, but, if you just have a dremel & a drill you should be able to win this, once its on the bench.

Snot gonna be easy,, get the holes in your patch before you round the end off..dont Finish shaping the end until youve got the pins glued in, just get close, finish it up with the pins in it,
IDK if 1/8th is too big, just mite be, but you gotta get a pedestal up there somehow,,& thats how Id go at it,whatever size  you use, just get a coupla extra bits & use the shank off of them,, There is a place for some support to come from below. A piece of piano wire or a small bit of steel to make a leg to hold the end up on that pedestal would be nice,, I really dont know how many pounds of pressure are applied when the clutch is pulled, I do know the lever is designed to afford plenty of leverage,,

POst pics as ya work thru it,,others may have better ideas,, good luck,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
digit321
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/15/13 at 12:09:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/15/13 at 08:32:00:
Well,, smooth up the end, get a piece of aluminum, drill a hole, cut it off where it needs cut.. Build the busted part back up. Youll need to put the motor on the bench & build that pedestal. You can build your part with a leg to support the end, Youre gonna hafta be a craftsman & be imaginative & look at the problem, see, in your mind, what you need & then build it. I could fix it,, it would not be quick, but it would stay & it would look normal, on a walk by. Anyone who KNows these bikes could tell, but anyone else would be very unlikely to spot it,,
I would clean up the busted part & study it, then Id get a chunk of aluminum, you can get bar stock, well I can,, I have no idea what resources are available where you are,, but hardware stores have some handy stuff. If you cant find aluminum easy, call a machine shop & ask where they buy material.
Remember, you need to maximize the surface area where the part is repaired to make room for what will effectively be dowel rods,,
Cheap dowel rods that can be glued in real good? Drill bits,, 1/8th bits are cheap, a grinder to rough up the shank & leave room for JB weld to crawl up..
You got a dremel? Youre gonna need something along those lines, & a 4.5" angle grinder would be handy, but, if you just have a dremel & a drill you should be able to win this, once its on the bench.

Snot gonna be easy,, get the holes in your patch before you round the end off..dont Finish shaping the end until youve got the pins glued in, just get close, finish it up with the pins in it,
IDK if 1/8th is too big, just mite be, but you gotta get a pedestal up there somehow,,& thats how Id go at it,whatever size  you use, just get a coupla extra bits & use the shank off of them,, There is a place for some support to come from below. A piece of piano wire or a small bit of steel to make a leg to hold the end up on that pedestal would be nice,, I really dont know how many pounds of pressure are applied when the clutch is pulled, I do know the lever is designed to afford plenty of leverage,,

POst pics as ya work thru it,,others may have better ideas,, good luck,

Thanks Justin, great advice.  I think I'll try that and I'll try to post pics during the process, if not, at least the final result.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/16/13 at 03:51:35

May the force be with you.. just gotta unlock your mind & let yourself "see" these bits all coming together, like an exploded diagram. Then, put it together.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/16/13 at 04:15:12

Serowbot wrote on 08/14/13 at 22:56:35:
Versy is the god of the search button... it never works for me...

Just use Google/Yahoo or whatever search engine you usually use, start your search with "Suzukisavage.com" and just add what ever you are looking for  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:41:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken clutch cable mount, tranny side

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.