Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: US Health Care Cost
Reply #30 - 08/23/13 at 06:18:09

I've noticed a phenomenon that hit me over the last few years.
I've got a case in Chicago that has gone on for 5 years, and I'm up there every month or so.  I've noticed how the general population that I've seen on the streets doesn't appear to be nearly so fat as people are here in Columbus.  One of the other lawyers from New York and I were talking about that, and his comment was that big city folks walk far more than folks do from small towns or medium size cities like mine.
I think he's right.  My clients walk several blocks, twice a day, every day, from the train stations to and from their offices.  They walk several blocks each way to lunch each day.  If they have to go to another office to do business during the day, they mostly walk.
The judge in our case is 71, and looks to be 55.  He said the same thing - he walks a lot every day.
If you look at the places that have the most obese populations, they are in the rural south where people seldom walk anywhere.
A doctor who hangs out at my airport told me that weight loss is simple - eat reasonable ( small ) portions of food, and walk 30 minutes a day, every day.  Do that, and your weight will come down to normal for your body type and height.
I took his advice, and I've slowly lost 11 pounds since May.  I still need to lose 20 more pounds, but I've made a good start.  But the key, according to him, and I think he's right, is to lose weight slowly, like you put it on in the first place, so your body adapts to the "new you" as you go, and then you don't yo-yo back up, like most people do after they finish the latest fad diet and then gain back all they lost, plus more.
Of course, the walking helps lots of other things too - heart, breathing, etc.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #31 - 08/23/13 at 12:39:31

I lost 21 lbs since April. I'm a diabetic. My sugar went from 130-80. Didn't follow any diet. Told my wife to quit sitting food on the table, I'd fix me something when I felt like eating. Back to medical cost, I've had 2 MRI's 2Xrays, an EKG and my usual medicine, 3 dr's appointments. I have Blue Cross. My copay this month was more than I bring home.I have 9 different diseases with Lupus and Diabetes at the top of the list. If this keeps up I have no other choice but to file for bankruptcy. I had blood clots in my lungs last Nov and almost died. I'm on Cumadin now. My doctor told me if I wreck my motorcycle I would bleed to death before anyone could get to me. I'm not even supposed to shave unless I use an electric razor. I look like ZZ Top LOL.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #32 - 08/23/13 at 12:49:00

Midnight -
Sorry to hear of all of these maladies.  I'm on Plavix, but not Coumadin.  Does your BC coverage have a max annual out of pocket?  Most of their plans do.
It's easy for doc offices to miss it if you have a max annual out of pocket.  Like the lady we know I wrote about a few posts ago, who has a $4,000 max out of pocket, then BC pays 100% of everything.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #33 - 08/23/13 at 13:43:17

I'll check into it Mon. Thank,s Jerry

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/24/13 at 06:34:31

Any "healthcare" plan that requires the hiring of 16,000 new IRS agents, is not a healthcare plan.

You can complain of things now all you want, but just wait.....

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #35 - 08/24/13 at 11:35:49

Fri my doctor of 15 years told me she was retiring. Tears rolled down my cheeks. Her and I are close. She's saved my life a couple of times. She wouldn't come out and directly say it but we both knew its because of Obamacare. I have 9 different diseases with Lupus and Diabetes, high Blood Pressure and Heart Disease at the top. I don't know if I can find another doctor that will take care of me like she did. I know I'm gonna die some day but I don't want to die because some idiot doctor screwed up. I'm afraid most of the good doctors will retire because of the stupidity of Obamacare. What could have been a great resource was furked up by Congress.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #36 - 08/24/13 at 14:05:21

“If you look at the places that have the most obese populations, they are in the rural south where people seldom walk anywhere.” JE

Jerry, I knew from the beginning of this comment that southern people are not fat because they are lazy and don’t walk anywhere. It’s POVERTY in the rural south that is the culprit.
Here is the REAL problem:

<Snip>

People from the rural south are fat. With an adult obesity rate of 33%, the rural south has gobbled its way to the "chubbiest” area in the USA. According to a new joint report by Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee aren't far behind, with obesity rates over 30%. In fact, eight of the 10 fattest states are in the South. The region famous for its biscuits, barbecue and pecan pies has been struggling with its weight for years — but then again, so has the rest of the country. Wisconsin loves cheese, New Yorkers scarf pizza, and New Englanders have been known to enjoy a crab cake or two. So why is the South so portly?
For one thing, it's poor. Mississippi is not only the fattest state in the nation, but also the poorest, with 21% of its residents living below the poverty line, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Alabama and West Virginia, the second and third fattest states, are tied for fifth poorest. With a poverty rate of 14%, the South is easily the most impoverished region in the country. "When you're poor, you tend to eat more calorie-dense foods because they're cheaper than fruits and vegetables," explains Jeff Levi, executive director of Trust for America. Poor neighborhoods also have fewer grocery stores, even in the rural South. A 2004 study by the University of South Carolina found that most food-shopping options in rural areas fall into the convenience-store category because grocery stores are located too far away.
<End snip>

...and so it goes.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 08/25/13 at 06:34:49

Calorie dense foods.. likePizza &Ice cream?
Dont thosepeopleknow they can raise a GARDEN?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #38 - 08/25/13 at 08:49:06

They can try to JOG, but this year was bad. Only the inedibles did well, stuff like sunflowers and okra. Everything else drowned, burnt up, got destroyed by squash beetles or flea beetles, blossom end rot even with the proper amount of pelletized agricultural lime in the transplant holes...

Bad crop year for everyone around us not raising glycol ready commodities crops. Even the hay fields were pathetic, lots of broadleaf weeds in fields normally square baled as horse hay. So most of it went to round feedlot bales, but the county has been chasing dairymen and beef operations away.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #39 - 08/25/13 at 20:17:59

Sorry to hear that WD, it's been a strange summer everywhere. Floods in the deserts, too much rain in the southeast, temps like 114 everyday in Phoenix, unseasonable cool weather here in the north country....wonder what the  winter will be like??.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #40 - 08/25/13 at 21:45:04

I'm hoping for bitter cold here, need something to get the insects back under control. Ever heard of "velvet ants", they are a non-native wingless wasp that burrow in the ground. Their sting can make a bison fall over in pain... We have them.

http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/2011/03/fuzzy-doesnt-mean-friendly-red-vel... has the best pics I could find. Our friend stepped on one here last spring, couldn't walk right for a couple weeks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #41 - 08/26/13 at 06:21:52

Star -
Being "lazy" has nothing to do with Southern obesity.  You are correct that poor people tend to have yet poorer eating habits.  It's not because a poor person can't eat healthy; it's because most don't know how to, or don't care.  
A healthy breakfast of oatmeal costs a whole lot less than eggs, bacon, sausage.  Oatmeal and pancakes cost about the same, but the calorie count, fat calories, and glycemic index are nowhere near the same.
My point was simple - rural people generally don't walk as much as big city folks do.
In Chicago, for instance, I'll walk from my hotel to the courthouse, about 15 minutes each way, or 30 minutes round trip.  That alone is sufficient for the 30 minutes of walking each day that a person should do.  Why spend $10 - $15 for a cab ride, in heavy traffic, when the walk doesn't take that much longer?  Sure, I'll cab it in the rain, or on the bitter cold winter days, but most of the time, I walk.
It's about the usefulness of walking - if you go to big cities very often, you see people from all walks of life hoofing it far more than in the rural areas, where folks get into a car or a pickup to drive a couple of miles, or less.
Why do we have a Boston Marathon, and a New York City Marathon?  I've never heard of a marathon in Hattiesburg, Mississippi or in Plains, Georgia; have you?
Again, "lazy" has nothing to do with it - it's about culture, and what's perceived as important.  Poor people generally have shoes - in fact, come with me to court some time and see the $150+ fancy athletic shoes on the feet of some of the poorest kids in town as they stroll by the courthouse.
All it takes to walk is normal attire ( pants up around your waste, not your butt ) and a pair of shoes, and my bet is that most fat people own both.  Culture and habits are what need to be changed to get this obesity epidemic under control.
The is a Golden Corral not far from my office - I eat lunch there now and then.  They have boiled cabbage, lima beans, broccoli, and cauliflower on the buffet, as well as broiled fish and fairly lean pot roast.  I like those things; I'm not much into "yuppie food ".  I'll fill my plate with the aforementioned veggies, and take a piece of pot roast about the size of a deck of playing cards, or similar sized piece of fish or roasted chicken.
Frankly, I'm probably the best dressed person in the place.  The fat ones have the salad loaded with sour cream, mayo based dressings like ranch or blue cheese, then for their entrée they hit the mac and cheese, pizza, pasta, loaded baked potato, and then go straight to the desert section and load up on cake, pie and ice cream.  The fat ones act like it's a contest to see who can eat the most quantity of high fat, high calorie and high glycemic foods.
I pay the same price they do, and I come out of there having had a very healthy meal - they come out 2500 calories later, and wonder why they are fat.
It's all about choices, not monetary status.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 08/26/13 at 09:31:49

Fantastic.
I work 15-20 miles (depending on highway or backroads) from my work.
Do you suppose I walk there?
What about the other 95% of people who don't live less than a mile from their place of employment?

Where I live it's probably another 15 miles to Whole Foods. Right on the corner is a McDonalds. I think there are 6 of them in my town alone. 99 cent double cheese beats out the 6.99 a lb burger (still need to buy buns, toppings, etc) at Whole Foods.

--Steve

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #43 - 08/26/13 at 12:20:59

Tony S wrote on 08/21/13 at 19:38:29:
Thanks for the welcome!

Young people don't want to pay SS and medicare taxes either- but we make them anyway. Young people don't want car insurance (for that matter neither do a lot of old people) but we make them buy it anyway.

The prevailing view is that driving is a privilege that comes with ability to do a lot of damage thus the states are able to compel drivers to be covered. I think young people don’t want to pay Medicare and SS taxes because they know they will never get anything out of it. It is a Ponzi scheme on the verge of collapse with the sole purpose of giving politicians a plank to use other than the actual issues.

Quote:
Individuals will make choices - given the chance - that benefit them in the short term  but can potentially hurt themselves and everyone else in the long run.

Isn't it the inidividual's own right to make their own choices? Who am I to tell you that you can't drink coffee because I think it is bad for your health?

Quote:
What exactly is catastrophic? What's catastrophic at 20K a year is not at 100K and it's chump change for a millionaire. The deal is, nearly everyone if they live long enough will need expensive medical care. The point of insurance is to spread the risk. Young people, like it or not, need to carry health insurance just like they have to pay into Social Security and Medicare.

Why? What right (talking moral right now as traditional rights are a thing of the past) does the government have to tell someone what to buy.

Quote:
We  as a nation need their $$ now to keep SS solvent - and we  need their good health in the insurance pool to keep rates affordable.

Sounds like they are getting screwed, sounds like a mugging but through the mail.

Quote:
If the only people out looking to buy insurance are the people that need lots of care, the premiums are astronomical.

Not a good reason to forcibly compel someone to hand over their hard earned wages to prop up an ill conceived and unworkable cluster of social programs.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 08/26/13 at 14:49:44

Young people don't want car insurance (for that matter neither do a lot of old people) but we make them buy it anyway.

There is a critical difference with car insurance and the Obamacare mandate that some in power purposely mislead (Obama included) people with.

Mandatory car insurance has to do with indemnifying either the other party in an accident or the lien holder on the car. In other words, mandatory car insurance is to 'protect the other guy' , not to protect you. If you hit someone, the mandatory insurance is to indemnify (to make whole) the person you hit.

If you have a loan out on the car, you usually have to show some type of 'full coverage' insurance to the bank, meaning if you total the car out or it gets stolen, the bank is paid what it is owed first. The bank is indemnified. That's usually a bank requirement, not a government requirement.

If your car is paid off, you usually have to have liability insurance, but do not have to have full coverage. If you total your car, you're out the money. It's your decision to carry insurance or not. Auto insurance mandates and obamacare mandates have nothing in common, but you have to think it through to see the difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:11

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › US Health Care Cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.