US Health Care Cost (Read 267 times)
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: US Health Care Cost
Reply #15 - 08/18/13 at 10:06:58

Serowbot wrote on 08/16/13 at 11:22:05:
Dane,... 1 in 5 Americans have no care... that is rationing as well... it just ain't you...
Does that make it okay?...

I respectfully disagree as everyone, including illegals, can go into any ER are get treated regardless of ability to pay. The ER is required by law to treat every person who comes in.

Quote:
As far as waits,.. when were last in a ER?... 4 to 7 hrs, is normal here...
Surgery's have waits, too...

The difference is whether the wait is to schedule an opening for all the surgical team members to come together or if the wait is soley an artificial wait to control costs. The 18 month wait for knee replacement is only for cost control not because that is the fist open slot to book a facility.

Quote:
...but,.. the US has much more money than most other countries... it doesn't follow that a US health system has to be a financially strapped as some other country...
... if we all started drinking tea, would we all start speaking with British accents?...
Grin...

The American system is, or was, the best system in the world. That level of care costs money, having access to MRIs all day long costs money and we are all better off for having it. Obama care isn't about healthcare, it is about health insurance. Healthcare doen't get any better under Obamacare it is just that more people are pressed into the system.

More people equals more use within the same infrastructure that is simultaeneously be pummeled by Obamacare. I have lost 3 doctors in the last two year to Obamacare and it is only getting worse.

The analogy I use is that granting "access" with Obamacare is like giving hungry people free access to an 1/2 empty grocery store with expired food and horrible customer service.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #16 - 08/21/13 at 19:38:29

Dane, if you are hungry you'd probably be glad to have access to a half empty grocery store that has lousy customer service.  The people that have no ability to get health care matter too.  That those of us with insurance will now find longer lines at the doctors office is a poor reason - certainly and un-American reason - to say we just let people continue to do without.

The USA does not have the best health care system in the world. Not by any ranking. We are - compared to the other 190 or so countries in the world - well above average. Top 15-20%. No where near the best. We don't live the longest. We are fat and out of shape. We waste a lot of medical money on unneccessay tests. Too many people can't go to the doctor.  And for some of the most advanced treatments - like cancer - rich Americans head for Europe.

Jerry. You realize the point is that you have health insurance and at least 30 million - maybe more like 40 million - Americans do not. That is why you went to the doctor and it cost you a $20 co-pay. Just for the fun of it, why don't you call your doctor anonymously and ask them what a private pay, no insurance office visit costs? Bet it's over $100.

And there is the worst part of the irony. Just having insurance makes things cheaper. Because the insurance companies negotiate discounted rates. Those individuals without insurance are the ones that are charged the most for services. The difference can be huge. For the last several years I've been on a Consumer Driven Health Plan with a Health Savings account. My statements show the normal charge and the discounted plan charge. Sometimes the insurance plan price is  about a third of the normal charge.  40% less is common.  Our office visits - btw - are normal price of $140 and the insurance company discounted price is $81.

There are a lot of small employers - employers that pay decent wages - that would like to offer insurance to employees but cannot due to costs. Just letting these small employers pool together in large groups be treated like a large employer helps a lot.  A friend at Church is one of those employers. Small tool and die outfit. 10 employees. They had one guy that had a heart attack five years ago and the next year the premiums were through the roof. No one could afford it.
The solution in place is far from perfect - the result of a failed effort at a bi-partisan plan. But at least it recognizes the problem exists and moves towards a fix.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/21/13 at 22:24:11

+1 Tony...  nicely stated...
Welcome to SS.Com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 08/22/13 at 04:06:50

Ive Been w/o insurance. Ive been treated well & for low$$$. The dr knows what he will get, & when, no cost to him to pay someone to file, no cost for handling pmnt..Cash CAN do ya right,, YOure not gettin out for $20.00, BUT,youre not payin premiums monthly, either,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 08/22/13 at 06:11:37

Got a bill in the mail yesterday from a doctor I saw months ago. Insurance decided that over $400 of that 20 minute visit would not be covered. And I have BC/BS...

Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 08/22/13 at 08:53:45

You can pay that out so long & slow you dont even feel it, except for the hassle of sending a payment,,

Was your deductible not yet met?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/22/13 at 09:07:02

I have Aetna.
I got a physical (no co pay), and a weird leaky blood vessel thing removed and 6 stitches put in yesterday.

My appointment was at 5:15. I was outside the building by 6pm.

Can't wait for the bill.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/22/13 at 09:46:17

Vitamin C is what the body uses tomake stufflike vessels,, If you have high colesterol And leaky veins,, go study

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/22/13 at 11:13:18

I took the entire last year to get "healthy".
I got my weight below 200 lbs, I can bench 240 Lbs, capable of a 7 minute mile, and I'm training for a 5k with a best time of 22:26 so far.
I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life...
and it seems more is going wrong now than ever before.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/22/13 at 11:29:43

If youre not eating organic,, yep
If youre drinkin loads of fluoridated water, yep.
If you use a microwave you destroy the food value inmany ways,
Do you eat Any raw vegetables?

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #25 - 08/22/13 at 14:40:44

Tony S wrote on 08/21/13 at 19:38:29:
Dane, if you are hungry you'd probably be glad to have access to a half empty grocery store that has lousy customer service....

That is the point, the store doesn't need to be half empty with rotting food, it is made that way on purpose, so that everyone can be equal in misery rather than making something work for all. Most young people don't even want or need (thier own words) health insurance, why force someone to buy what they don't want? Why not cover what people really need, which is catastrophic medical?

Quote:
The USA does not have the best health care system in the world. Not by any ranking. We are - compared to the other 190 or so countries in the world - well above average. Top 15-20%. No where near the best. We don't live the longest. We are fat and out of shape. We waste a lot of medical money on unneccessay tests. Too many people can't go to the doctor.  And for some of the most advanced treatments - like cancer - rich Americans head for Europe.

Fat and out of shape is cultural and has nothing to do with our healthcare system. Obamacare won't make me thin, happy and live to 100, obamacare is about coverage not the quality of treatment.

Welcome to the forum!!!  Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 08/22/13 at 16:27:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/22/13 at 08:53:45:
You can pay that out so long & slow you dont even feel it, except for the hassle of sending a payment,,

Was your deductible not yet met?

I don't know. I go to the doctor maybe twice a year, kicking and screaming the whole way. Unless I'm out cold, or have leaked enough red stuff to be loopy.

I don't trust doctors as far as I could throw them, used to be alright, until malpractice insurance premiums drove most American/European born out of the health care field. If I'm aware of what is going on, and get a 3rd world or Chinese born doctor, I leave.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #27 - 08/22/13 at 16:37:05

Dane Allen wrote on 08/22/13 at 14:40:44:
Tony S wrote on 08/21/13 at 19:38:29:
Dane, if you are hungry you'd probably be glad to have access to a half empty grocery store that has lousy customer service....

That is the point, the store doesn't need to be half empty with rotting food, it is made that way on purpose, so that everyone can be equal in misery rather than making something work for all. Most young people don't even want or need (thier own words) health insurance, why force someone to buy what they don't want? Why not cover what people really need, which is catastrophic medical?

Quote:

Fat and out of shape is cultural and has nothing to do with our healthcare system. Obamacare won't make me thin, happy and live to 100, obamacare is about coverage not the quality of treatment.

Welcome to the forum!!!  Smiley

Thanks for the welcome!

Young people don't want to pay SS and medicare taxes either- but we make them anyway. Young people don't want car insurance (for that matter neither do a lot of old people) but we make them buy it anyway.  Individuals will make choices - given the chance - that benefit them in the short term  but can potentially hurt themselves and everyone else in the long run.

What exactly is catastrophic? What's catastrophic at 20K a year is not at 100K and it's chump change for a millionaire. The deal is, nearly everyone if they live long enough will need expensive medical care. The point of insurance is to spread the risk. Young people, like it or not, need to carry health insurance just like they have to pay into Social Security and Medicare.  We  as a nation need their $$ now to keep SS solvent - and we  need their good health in the insurance pool to keep rates affordable. If the only people out looking to buy insurance are the people that need lots of care, the premiums are astronomical.

Young people do get sick occasionally and incure 5K worth of medical bills. And when they can't pay - everyone else does. Through higher costs.

If you have a primary care doctor - and what we are talking about are the 30-40 million people that do not so rely on emergency rooms - then you get preventitive care. More of which is covered at no cost under the Affordable Care Act (or Obamacare if you like) If your actually obese, your primary care doctor should be talking to you about that as it is a serious health risk that leads to a large number of chronic (therefore expensive) medical conditions.  So if you have a primary care physician, health insurance and access to medical care, you may in fact find that your doctor can increase your odds by a lot of living to 100.  Insurance and accessiblity to health care is likely the primary reason 27 other countries' citizens live long than us in the US of A.

IP Logged
Tony S

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Evansville,IN
Reply #28 - 08/22/13 at 16:52:55

Paraquat wrote on 08/22/13 at 11:13:18:
I took the entire last year to get "healthy".
I got my weight below 200 lbs, I can bench 240 Lbs, capable of a 7 minute mile, and I'm training for a 5k with a best time of 22:26 so far.
I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life...
and it seems more is going wrong now than ever before.

--Steve

Thanks to jogging, more perfectly healthy people are dropping dead of heart attacks than ever before.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/22/13 at 20:48:20

Grin

My lunches are salads. The lettuce is bagged Stop and Shop brand but the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and green pepper are all grown in the parent's in law's garden.
I either bring in tuna or a baked chicken breast for a protein.
Can't get away from the flouride.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:21:51

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › US Health Care Cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.