Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: US Health Care Cost
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 22:50:13

It do suck...  I have a broken finger right now,.. I won't pay  a few grand for a doctor and x-rays just to have them tape a splint to it,...  
When I was a kid, I broke my arm,.. it cost $65 for an x-ray and a cast... if I'd been in England, it would have cost nothing...
Today,.. it would cost $8,000.... in England it would cost nothing....

Medical extortion is the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US...  it's not laziness, or credit card binges, or gambling, or even job loss or divorce...
It's sudden catastrophic illness...  
Can you spare $40,000?... $180,000?... or $1.3 million?...
I don't even understand how they can speak of such numbers...
And if you have insurance,.. believe me, they will try to cancel it through any loophole they can find...
This happened to Skatergirl, if you remember, and she fought them from her deathbed...
How horrible that she spent those days worrying about costs...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/16/13 at 08:37:58

I think your cost estimates are a little high.
Back in early July on a very rainy day, the tile floor in our lobby was wet and slippery as grease on a door knob.  I rounded a corner too fast with leather soled shoes, and went down like the victim of a safety blitz, and slammed my left side into the wall.
I tore my bicep.  Since I take Plavix, I bruise and bleed very easily.  My entire left arm, from wrist up thru the armpit was as purple as a grape.
I went to my family doc.  He diagnosed the torn bicep, said there is nothing to do for it except for time for it to heal, and he reminded me why there aren't any 66 year old quarterbacks. All I paid was for a simple office call.
$20 co-pay and I was out the door.
Arm is normal now, except for some residual shoulder immobility, which is slowly improving.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/16/13 at 09:06:23

Jerry,... you know I'm not talking about what your co-pay is...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/16/13 at 09:11:29

My point is that for a simple break in a finger bone, you won't pay "thousands" to get a splint.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/16/13 at 09:30:19

Im disabled, on medicade, or care,, whatever..

fell, ripped a previously wounded rotator cuff.

MRI, My cost, bout $90.
Co-Pay to the Dr, all told, gonna be around $700.00, I think.
I owe the anesthesiologist $25.00
Ive had a physical therapist coming to my house now for weeks, at first, it was M_W-F, now just M/F, My cost? Zero..

Hospital charge on the bill
$38,000.00, which Ill be paying about $600.00..

Considering the pain, the absolute necessity of the surgery, all combined, I am absolutely tickled with the health care system, as is,,
Im not seein it be so good in the future,

Well,, Actually, I was MUCH more impressed when I was in my 20's. I paid about $10.00 a month to carry a Blue Cross Blue Shield card & could walkinto any dr office & get help.. Not now,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/16/13 at 09:59:38

JOG,.. you do realize that Medicare is government healthcare, don't you?...
So was your Blue Cross back in the day...
How can you be happy with your care, but want to get rid of it?... or is it that you want it for yourself, but not others?...

All that Obama was originally trying to do, was expand Medicare for everyone...(the "Mandate" was added to get Repub's to sign on)...
The mandate isn't going to work,.. eventually the issues will resolve and the program will become Medicare for everyone...
This is the slow, ugly process of American legislation...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/16/13 at 10:09:40

Serowbot -
You're probably right, but I like the slow process of American legislation, and I don't think it is ugly.  Here's why:

Haste makes waste - old saying, but like most old sayings, it has a lot of truth behind it.

Are you English?  Your comment in this thread about English health care made me wonder.

Look what has happened since WW II in England, with hasty legislation.  The Liberals were in power shortly after the war, and they nationalized the railroads, coal mines, and most of the English auto industry.  The country's economy fell into disaster.  Then here come the Conservatives, and reverse much of that nationalization.  Talk about a yoyo - total reversal of national policies, almost overnight.  No stability at all to their economy through most of the post war period until the late 1970s.

I like a slow, thoughtful and deliberate process of making important decisions.  Sure, rarely there are emergencies that have to be dealt with quickly, such as the 2008 financial meltdown, but thankfully, those emergencies are indeed rare.  For everything else, history has shown me that a measured pace of debate, experience, and decision making based on that debate and experience works best.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/16/13 at 10:36:43

I am English born,.. but a US citizen now...

Quote:
I like a slow, thoughtful and deliberate process of making important decisions... ...history has shown me that a measured pace of debate, experience, and decision making based on that debate and experience works best.

If this were reality,.. I would agree...
...but, it isn't measured or thoughtful...  and it isn't done with the interests of the people in mind...  It tends to involve pandering to lobbyists, and special interests,... and distortions of fact, and manipulation of people...
Serious, measured debate, would be a welcome change...
The interests of the nation and it's people are seldom even on the table...
The problems in the systems we create are seldom due to differences in ideology, or method... more often they involve overcoming roadblocks intentionally set by each side...
That's the ugly bit...

Reasonable men, could come up with reasonable solutions... the best we can do is create an intentional mess,.. and hope to fix it, piecemeal, over time... as each side's unreasonable demands are shown to be folly...
Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 08/16/13 at 11:16:04

Serowbot wrote on 08/14/13 at 22:50:13:
It do suck...  I have a broken finger right now,.. I won't pay  a few grand for a doctor and x-rays just to have them tape a splint to it,...  
When I was a kid, I broke my arm,.. it cost $65 for an x-ray and a cast... if I'd been in England, it would have cost nothing...
Today,.. it would cost $8,000.... in England it would cost nothing....

I understand your concern for the high costs but what you are failing to take into account is the rationing that takes place in England and Canada to keep costs down as the expense on human pain and suffering. $ hour wait to get into the ER, 12 month wait for hip replacement, 18 month wait for knee replacement, mandatory blindness from macular degeneration in one eye before treatment for the remaining eye.

You can pay the $8,000 now or spend a week in near unbearable pain to pay the $8,000 in vastly inflated taxes now. Choice is yours.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/16/13 at 11:22:05

Dane,... 1 in 5 Americans have no care... that is rationing as well... it just ain't you...
Does that make it okay?...

As far as waits,.. when were last in a ER?... 4 to 7 hrs, is normal here...
Surgery's have waits, too...

...but,.. the US has much more money than most other countries... it doesn't follow that a US health system has to be a financially strapped as some other country...
... if we all started drinking tea, would we all start speaking with British accents?...
Grin...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/16/13 at 11:24:16

Look at the health care systems in successful countries, duplicate it here. Pretty simple concept.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/16/13 at 11:31:27

+1!...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/16/13 at 13:06:59

But thats not what they did, AND, we are BROKE as a nation,,
You increase you kids allowance when you cant pay th bills?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 08/16/13 at 13:44:46

No kids, haven't paid rent in months (family property, so no biggie, work it off instead), don't go to the doctor unless something needs stitched up or is broken that can't be handled at home.

I'm kinda of like Spain or Greece...

They needed to duplicate the systems of Germany, Sweden, Denmark, etc. All of whom are doing better economically than the USA, because the gov't there actually tries to make people successful. Are there welfare leeches? Sure, but nowhere near the numbers, and not for generations at a time (not counting the Gypsies and other undesirables).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:35:33

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › US Health Care Cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.