Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage s40 full size bike?  Ryca build? (Read 231 times)
Rodney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage s40 full size bike?  Ryca build?
08/14/13 at 16:18:00

Hey everyone, new to the cruiser bike world had a few questions..

Is the suzuki savage a full size bike?  It looks small, I was wanting to build a RYCA rr-1 hardtail bobber out of one but it looks super small in pictures..  I love the style of the kit, just dont want it to be to small and look like a girl bike lol.  Im 5'11 170lbs im not really worried about me fitting it, I just dont want it to look like a 3/4 size bike

Have many people done the RYCA build?  It looks great and seems simple enough, any troubles building the bike? or troubles after the build?  Would mostly be using it around town and some highway between towns, about 50km trips.

thanks

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Savage s40 full size bike?  Ryca build?
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 16:36:05

Quote:
Is the suzuki savage a full size bike?  It looks small, I was wanting to build a RYCA rr-1 hardtail bobber out of one but it looks super small in pictures..  I love the style of the kit, just dont want it to be to small and look like a girl harley lol.

A Savage is smaller than an 883 Sportster Superlow. So if an 883 is a "girl Harley" in your opinion, a Savage  bobber probably isn't what you're looking for.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 08/14/13 at 16:50:19

I'm 5'8" and 150lb. I think it fits me just right. Have a look on google images and youtube at Savage bobbers and check out some of the riders in the pics. The bigger guys, for sure make the bike look a bit like a monkey bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/14/13 at 16:50:23

Depends on the moment,, if its on top & youre sliding down the road at 30 MPH, its HUGE!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/14/13 at 18:31:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/13 at 16:50:23:
Depends on the moment,, if its on top & youre sliding down the road at 30 MPH, its HUGE!

Grin ........................  Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/14/13 at 19:19:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/13 at 16:50:23:

LOL Cheesy

But seriously, the size and weight of the Savage is one of it's redeeming features and people here generally like the maneuverability and handling it gives over a cumbersome 'bigmans harley'  Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/14/13 at 20:00:48

It IS a small statured bike for its engine size. It is easily dealt with by a smallish guy of 135 pounds,,well,, REasonably easy,, It still tested me & won a few times,,Im hap[y its no bigger. & that it has never been on top as we slid down a road.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 08/14/13 at 21:13:01

It is about the same size as a Honda 305 Dream from the mid 1960s. But a lot more user friendly, more like a 248/305 Scrambler. Or KZ440. Elsinore 250 maybe?

It's little. Monkey F'n a football little... unless you have a fairly short inseam, then it isn't too bad. Mine runs 15" rise apes and a raised seat, plus half moon floorboards shoved as far forward as possible on modified stock peg guts. 34" inseam, so it is still a bit cramped.

But, I have owned and been cutting on it for 15 years, that says something about the machine. I left a 1957 rigid with springer Panhead behind when I moved a couple years ago.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 08/15/13 at 07:00:52

Small??? Yes it is a bit on the small size,and some of the "weekend warriors" and "sidewalk commandos" may ride ya about that. BUT....I ride over 10,000 miles a year and none of the serious riders,including patch-holders, have ever given me a moments grief over the size or power. In fact,most of them comment on how it reminds them of the old BSA and Norton big singles of the 1960's!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/15/13 at 07:21:26

Well,, heres the deal,, YOu sit on one & see if it suits ya,, decide based on how it feels to you, decide if you want to ride a heavier bike,, The bikes low seat & generally small stature was what grabbed me, I mean Come ON,, Its a 650,, & its not huge & cumbersome, I can handle it..Its got power, looks good, easy to handle, easy to work on, I can pick it up w/o worrying about a hernia,,

When its my turn to die, no one will want to do that for me.
Right now, its my turn to live & I am NOT givin anyone the power to decide for me how I do it,.If someone wanted me to have a bigger bike AND I wanted one,,, they can spring for it,,

There was a kid in school who was givin me grief over my clothes,,
I told him to meet me at what was then a popular store in Odessa after school. I think at first he thot I intended to fight him, shoulda seen his face when I told him if he didnt like my clothes he was free to buy me whatever he thot would look better,,That was the last he ever said to me,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 08/15/13 at 11:04:47

I don't think you should listen to ANY of these bozos'!!! they are all fanbois!!!

But seeing how your much bigger than say..... Jay Leno... and got gobs more money than him... maybe he would be the one to make a suggestion???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5r6rhQiT-k

(joking above... great guys.. shoot straight)

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 08/15/13 at 18:14:50

I'm a firm believer in if it sits good and feels right, ride it.  If it feels funny, too small, too big, balance isn't right for you, or many other things, look for something else.  My old CB350 feels larger than this bike but has nowhere near the power.

It can be made into just about anything you want.  There are extended controls sets, seat mods, different bars, many things that can be done. But, that's more work and money.  You've gotta want to do it and make the bike fit.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Rodney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/15/13 at 19:10:50

Thanks for advice, I really like the bike with the RYCA hardtail bobber kit.  I just need to try one I guess, I haven't found any pics of people sitting on the bike with that kit,  or the bike sitting beside other sizes of bikes.

The RYCA kit does stretch it 3 inches and also lowers it.  Wish I could see one with the kit in real life.  Just worried since the bike is $2000 and the kit will be over 2500 so its getting expensive if it turns out to be not what I want.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/16/13 at 05:07:33

HD 883:  85.8" long, 59.8" wheel base, 553 lbs
HD 1200:  87.4: long, 59.9" wheel base, 553 lbs
Savage/S40:  85.8" long, 58.3 wheel base, 352-381 lbs

As far as overall dimensions, there is no difference.
The HD's are about 200 lbs heavier.
So it just depends on what you want.

Because of the 2 cylinder engine the HD looks to be MORE, but its just more weight.
Performance is not that much more, and with a few tweaks/mods the Savage is more than competitive in performance.
HD's cost more, the Savage is much less.
The HD's weight makes it harder to move around, while the Savage is light enough to pickup and move rather easily.
HD parts Cost $$$$$; the Savage parts $.
Ease of maintenance on the Savage is SIMPLE, while the HD is NOT SO.

With that said, I own a modified '96/'05/'86 Savage ('96 engine, '05 front end & wiring, '86 frame), an '09 S40, and an '05 HD 1200C.
I like them all for different reasons.  My favorite is the mod'd '96.

So it all depends on what you want.
Does it matter what others think of what you ride ? ?
If so, it shouldn't.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:34:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage s40 full size bike?  Ryca build?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.