Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throttle cable broke in grip in rush hour! (Read 90 times)
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Throttle cable broke in grip in rush hour!
08/13/13 at 06:19:45

On the way home last night , in rush hour, I went through an intersection and all of a sudden the RPM's drop and there is no resistance in the throttle.

I pull over safely, push it over the side walk and a grass partition to a little cul de sac next to the main road to sort the issue.
Open the clam shell and see that the cable has broken about an inch from the termination thingamabob.

Uh oh!
Call my neighbor who works not to far away to come and get me and go home to get the trailer.  My 45 minute commute home took 5 hours by the time I had the bike in the garage!

Now I need a new throttle cable, and I've got a Mikuni VM38 carb so the stock cables no good for me.
Any ideas on where i can get a replacement?
Also looking for Mikuni parts, from the mixing chamber top up as my carb has a plastic top and no adjusters so it was loose.

Any ideas ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Throttle cable broke in grip in rush hour!
Reply #1 - 08/13/13 at 06:32:26

Lancer is your best source for a Mikuni cable that fits the Savage throttle tube.  He may also be your best source for parts.....unless you go to an online company like Jets-R.Us.  Better get your order in quick to Jets-R-Us is you want from them...as they will be shut down from August 22 to September 22nd.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/13/13 at 07:49:40

Glad you made it to the side of the road without any issues.  Too bad the throttle control wasn't on the right side of the carb you could have manually controlled it  LOL   Grin

I probably would have bumped the throttle up, taken side roads and just used the clutch to control it, but you did the smart thing and trailered it   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 08/13/13 at 08:08:09

I'll send Lancer a PM right away.

When I pulled over it was high rush hour and there is another 5-8 + miles of stop and go rush hour before you get to the side roads!

Cheers!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #4 - 08/13/13 at 19:37:15

Sounds like you handled the situation as well as you could have.  I would be pretty p.o.'d if something like that had happened to me while riding (and I really hope I don't jinx myself by even saying anything here Shocked )

Good luck getting it fixed and back on the road soon Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle cable broke in grip in rush hour!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.