Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How tough to replace the choke cable?  1998 LS650 (Read 146 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
How tough to replace the choke cable?  1998 LS650
08/12/13 at 12:04:41

The choke on my (new to be, but definitely used) 1998 LS650 doesn't like to stay on.  It springs back to about 1/2 if not more, and winds up barely being useful.  Especially frustrating at startup as I'm short at least one hand when I'm trying to hold the clutch, hit the starter switch and hold out the clutch all at the same time (even if I had the nickname "tripod", I don't think it would help in this area Cheesy)

How much work would be involved in replacing the choke or the spring on the choke, or whatever part is responsible for not leaving the choke where I've positioned it at?  What part would I be looking for if I went hunting for a replacement?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How tough to replace the choke cable?  1998 LS
Reply #1 - 08/12/13 at 12:39:09

Easy....Peasy.

Go to the dealer or an online parts supplier and order the plunger shown as part nmber 29 in this parts page link:

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

Unscrew the old one.....screw in the new one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #2 - 08/13/13 at 19:41:33

Thanks for the tip.  So, just to confirm (forgive me if I seem a little dense at times, I'm not all that mechanically inclined and while I'll do some of my own repairs, I tend to be cautious as I don't want to screw something up) the plunger assembly just screws in and/or can be unscrewed to remove the old one?

Which direction unscrews the existing one?  Is there anything holding that assembly in besides just having been screwed into place?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/14/13 at 04:48:49

Buy the new part, look at it.....it will answer the question about which way in and which way out.

To quote Nike......"JUST DO IT!"

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #4 - 08/14/13 at 12:42:26

Thanks for the push in the right direction.  I just hit the order button (via Partzilla) for this part.  This has been one of my bigger annoyances (outside of a muffler that had some redneck engineering done to seal or cover the holes in it) with this bike, so finding out that it should be a relatively easy fix is good news.

It makes my to-do list a little shorter now:
* muffler
* replacement seat (hoping to order a Corbin seat soon)
* wind screen

I've got a windscreen lined up via my wishlist on Amazon and will likely address that soon as I still prefer to ride with a bit of a shield in front of me blocking some of the wind.

The muffler is still longer term as I'll probably stick with stock parts and those are just a bit outside my current funding levels :p  That's also something that I'll definitely pay the shop guys to take care of when I get the parts for as I don't want to screw things up in that area.

The seat should be something that I can tackle, but again am hampered by funding for now.  I'll get there eventually, but with a new Corbin seat in the 3 bills range, uh, I think I'll make do with the taped up seat that I'm riding on.

On the plus side, as I keep noting to my wife and my daughter (who fears that her dad could get hurt on a m/c) I'm saving more than enough in gasoline costs each day I ride the m/c instead of driving my gas hog minivan to help cover the costs of these replacement/upgrade items.  Over the next few weeks, I may wind up being able to hold back enough $$ to get the seat order done Cheesy

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #5 - 08/14/13 at 12:59:20

Terp, I haven't done it yet, but there are a bunch of threads on how to do your own seat, including the foam and seat covering. It could save you a good chunk of change to put toward your windscreen! (The muffler can be done really cheaply too)

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #6 - 08/14/13 at 13:20:24

danjray wrote on 08/14/13 at 12:59:20:
Terp, I haven't done it yet, but there are a bunch of threads on how to do your own seat, including the foam and seat covering. It could save you a good chunk of change to put toward your windscreen! (The muffler can be done really cheaply too)

I was reading through the threads here and the end results seemed to be that if I wanted the best/most comfortable seat upgrade, I was probably going to be looking at a Corbin seat.

I really don't mind the cost for it, just have to save some $$ that I would otherwise squander on digital copies of movies, or something like that Wink and keep it available to put into the seat.  Not that I've ridden all that far at a time (currently riding primarily to/from work, and a little bit of weekend riding just to get out and enjoy the ride), but I'd like a good quality seat that would be comfortable if I wanted to put in say 90 - 100 miles one-way.

On the muffler, I've checked around a bit on various options and had considered doing some slip-on's, but I don't think I want to go through any of the other things I might have to (rejetting, or getting someone to rejet it for me), and actually don't really want to change the noise levels that much, so am figuring that sticking with something close to the original equipment would probably be my best option.  Always open to consider other options though, just not promising that I would pick those options.

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #7 - 09/13/13 at 20:30:53

Bumping this old thread...

I finally got a replacement choke plunger.  Yay.

Unfortunately for me, the throttle cable assembly was in the way for getting the old plunger out and the new one in.  Argh.

Fortunately, my dad was working on this with me and between us we were able to get the old plunger removed and the new one installed.  What we learned in the process is that, as we should expect, 14 - 15 years worth of age tends to leave screws, nuts and bolts a little unwilling to break free so that they can be removed if necessary.

We got one screw out of the throttle cable assembly, but couldn't get the other to move at all.  We used a pair of vice grips to get the lower screw to move.  The upper is pretty tough to get access to, but we'll figure it out.  Eventually I'll probably wind up replacing both of those screws just to be sure that they can be replaced later if needed.  Again, thankfully, we were able to get the new plunger in place without removing that assembly, but it was a total p-i-t-a.  Definitely nice to be able to start the bike without worrying that the choke is going to slide right back in.  (Now I only need two hands, not three Cheesy )

Meanwhile, my next issue is that we couldn't get the screw out of the bottom of the right front turn indicator assembly.  Bleh.  I have a replacement for the entire assembly, including the bracket that goes on the forks.  I really don't want to have to take apart the forks to replace that darned light.  We'll probably wind up drilling out the screw in that one if we can't get the screw that holds that assembly to break free.

Projects, projects, projects....

I got the saddlebag supports that I had ordered, and intend to get those installed over the next few days (if things go well).  I should also have the new seat on the way soon.  That should make for fun too.  More than likely leading to ordering a forward controls kit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/13/13 at 20:34:13

http://www.ehow.com/how_4809810_use-hand-impact-driver.html

If you dont have one, you need one,,
A #2 Phillips ground down flat on the tip till the X fills the slots will do nicely,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #9 - 09/13/13 at 20:49:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/13 at 20:34:13:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4809810_use-hand-impact-driver.html

If you dont have one, you need one,,
A #2 Phillips ground down flat on the tip till the X fills the slots will do nicely,

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not sure if my dad has one or not, but I can certainly get one via Amazon.com and put it to use Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/13/13 at 21:54:43

Harbor Freight has them & they come  with (  mine did) a long skinny tip that is Seriously handy down in the slide on our carbs. I did have to take mine apart & dress the action with a dremel to make it work Right..Worth the effort IMO

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How tough to replace the choke cable?  1998 LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.