Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PSA  - Front brake pads (Read 202 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Re: PSA  - Front brake pads
Reply #15 - 08/14/13 at 14:00:48

heh, I'm thinking you nice folks must be riding in the areas where I am riding Tongue Cheesy Grin

One of the little backroads that I can take to get to my home has a couple of serious bumps on it.  Enough to send my bike and overweight self airborne each time I hit 'em, even if I'm riding along in the slower speed range (approx. 35 MPH)

It's shameful how badly the infrastructure in my area has been ignored.  The political types have complained that they weren't taking in enough revenue via gasoline taxes to cover the costs of upkeep, etc.  They've raised the gasoline taxes pretty significantly, and are promising that they'll put the $$ into the roads, but I'm not counting any chickens in this area as the funds should have been there previously but seemed to have gotten reallocated into general funds when there were shortages there.

Anyway, I definitely know the difference between the roads of the late 80's and 90's and the roads of today.  The last 5 - 10 years just haven't seem the upkeep on the roads that they should have had, and riding those roads on a bike reminds you of just how bad the surface really is. Sad

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #16 - 08/14/13 at 19:43:02

Pine and friends, Another reason to use the front brake is that the steering geometry is changed to make a quicker turning bike. In an emergency, you may need to drive around an accident rather than being in the middle of it. More weight on the front wheel gives more traction (Everything else being equal--such as correct tire pressure). Also, compressing the forks changes the rake and trail relationship, thus quicker steering. There are many good articles written on this relationship, and you can look up these terms and see why it is important to use that front brake when it is safe without losing traction on the front wheel.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/14/13 at 20:02:32

Always be aware that traction is a given quantity. YOu can only spend it once,,the more you are using in braking, the less there is available for steering,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:18:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PSA  - Front brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.