Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PSA  - Front brake pads (Read 202 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
PSA  - Front brake pads
08/10/13 at 08:41:34

I just swapped out the front brake pads today. I have less than 5900 miles on the bike. When I got a new front tire the shop said the front pads were well worn.

Good folks... Check those pads!

I am what I consider a very mild rider... I ride to work ... I ride home. No horse play.. no zoom zoom. Not only that, but I tend to favor the rear brakes such that I am dragged to a stop.. with just a nice even brake to both during the last few feet.

Swapping front brake pads was about 30  minutes including hunting up and putting away all the tools.
Socket wrench and socket
two hex wrench
large C-clamp

I had just done a fluid change about 18 months ago, so I was not going to re-do that. I did just remove the cap fix the rubber gasket ( make sure forks are leaned over for flat level.
I used the c-clamp and old pad to return the piston (not over doing it).
Replace pads, and button her up.
EBC pads made in the UK... from Bikebandit... not sure I got the best deal... but I got them fast.

Per WD .. rear pads were fine.

Most of our braking power is from the front.... take care of what takes care of you!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: PSA  - Front brake pads
Reply #1 - 08/10/13 at 09:37:59

Pine wrote on 08/10/13 at 08:41:34:
I am what I consider a very mild rider... I ride to work ... I ride home. No horse play.. no zoom zoom. Not only that, but I tend to favor the rear brakes such that I am dragged to a stop.. with just a nice even brake to both during the last few feet.

...Most of our braking power is from the front.... take care of what takes care of you!

Quit that....  Grin...  (I know you know better)... Wink...

Seriously,... consider this...
In an emergency,.. your reactions work on muscle memory...
Train them to react with maximum braking technique,... by using about 80% front brake... all the time...
It will pay off in an emergency...
Secondly,.. front pads are so much easier to replace,.. if you do majority front brake all the time... It'll save you a lot of work...

PS,.. not meaning to be scoldy... just putting it out there, for everyone to consider...
Especially good for older returning riders to consider...
Wink....
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 08/10/13 at 10:24:58

Serowbot wrote on 08/10/13 at 09:37:59:
Pine wrote on 08/10/13 at 08:41:34:

...Most of our braking power is from the front.... take care of what takes care of you!

Quit that....  Grin...  (I know you know better)... Wink...

Seriously,... consider this...
In an emergency,.. your reactions work on muscle memory...
Train them to react with maximum braking technique,... by using about 80% front brake... all the time...
It will pay off in an emergency...
Secondly,.. front pads are so much easier to replace,.. if you do majority front brake all the time... It'll save you a lot of work...

PS,.. not meaning to be scoldy... just putting it out there, for everyone to consider...
Especially good for older returning riders to consider...
Wink....
Serow

Actually.. I have been told that before.. and I am trying to "up" the front brake usage...
Unfortunately... the roads I travel are so bad... that comming to some stops you cant even down shift (which I dont do often anyway). We aren't talking a bump or a few bumps.. we are talking jolt your teeth out your head bumps... with the loss of traction to the front tire its very easy to get too aggressive and they you really have issues. The rear tire hits these bumps last and even if you do over apply the consequences are just a skid.  
When I can .. I like to see just how balanced I can brake using the front fork dip as guage. Sadly.. very few nice roads to do that on.

(bumps- ashalt placed over concrete.. instead of ripping up 50year old concrete) Seems to be worse at intersections. MOST times what lane I am in depend NOT on the traffic... but knowing what lane has the least bumps.) Ahhh - the joys of using a bike as transportation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/10/13 at 10:49:36

Roads are the same here...
It's become like a 3rd world country... they're worse than dirt... Grin...

They just "repaired" a 6 lane near my house... This entails pouring sandy gravel in the holes... (which gets thrown out, and spread all over the road in a matter of hours...
Now it's a sandy 6 lane, with holes hidden by gravel, and no visible lane divisions... ...(large grain sand thrown in a mist hitting your helmet by all the traffic),,,
Ahhh,.. the joys of the road... Huh...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/10/13 at 11:32:32

So if you can't use the front brake like you are supposed to, then find some smooth road somewhere and once a month or so, practice panic stops,... meaning using the front brake just short of locking it up.

Serowbot is correct.  Should the unthinkable happen you have to do an I'm-really-going-to-die-this-time panic stop, you have well less than a second to apply the front brake perfectly.

Folks that don't practice this stiff end up hitting something or someone because they didn't apply enough brake,.......or,......... they lock up the brake and get all horizontal and sparky in a hurry.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 08/10/13 at 22:10:00

+1 on everything said!  Practice every potential emergency maneuver you get a chance to!  Quick stops, swerves, etc.

My situation was pretty much identical to yours:  5885 miles, brought it in to get the tires replaced and the shop told me my front brake pads were worn out.  I didn't believe them, so I came to check them out...  sure enough!  $30 later, I swapped on some EBC organic pads when I got to the house.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/11/13 at 07:30:59

bumps- ashalt placed over concrete..

Ive seen rodas that did what youre saying, we call that Washboarding..
its shaped like corrugated metal layin in the road, with humps of asphalt stacked up, & those stupid humps can get 3 inches tall,,
Considering the hazard they create, you should whine to the city or county & explain it to them froma safety position, The power of petition can move mountains,, tiny mountains of asphalt,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 08/11/13 at 09:42:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/11/13 at 07:30:59:
bumps- ashalt placed over concrete..

Ive seen rodas that did what youre saying, we call that Washboarding..
its shaped like corrugated metal layin in the road, with humps of asphalt stacked up, & those stupid humps can get 3 inches tall,,
Considering the hazard they create, you should whine to the city or county & explain it to them froma safety position, The power of petition can move mountains,, tiny mountains of asphalt,

never heard that term.. but yeah that would definately fit. one or two ripples are ok... be we are talking feet of the stuff... bike become a bucking bronco. Much woe to the ones not ready for it. Makes me a very cautious rider.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/11/13 at 09:53:56

Heck, Ive seen it so bad that my car dang near went sideways coming to a stop sign in Oklahoma.. I cant imagine how Ida managed on a bike,

Remember when doin pads, that caliper floats on pins that need cleaned & lubed occasionally,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/11/13 at 10:18:39

Since we're in PSA mode here...
Another thing I do, that will help train you to use front brake, is...
In routine riding in traffic,.. use the front brake lever to flash the guy behind you... (much like the headlight passing switch)...
Without actually pulling enough to engage the brake,.. flick the lever 3 times to flash your brakelight,.. then increase pressure to slow...
This is a good attention getter...

If people don't see the transition from running light to brakelight,.. they may not notice that the brake is applied......

I do this routinely...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/11/13 at 10:46:05

I do this routinely...

As do I
Also, ride with low beam in daytime & use the high-low flash button if yours is so equipped any time you see someone setting up to turm left across you. Changing lane position makes us more visible, too.
Be aware that if youre in front of a long line of cars, that person may "hurry" across instead of waiting, focused on the CAR behind you, also, being the caboose on a long line may get you mashed, since theyve been sitting, looking at CARS &, seeing the last CAR, they go,, & run Smooth over yer butt,,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 08/11/13 at 17:38:53

Serowbot wrote on 08/11/13 at 10:18:39:
Since we're in PSA mode here...
Another thing I do, that will help train you to use front brake, is...
In routine riding in traffic,.. use the front brake lever to flash the guy behind you... (much like the headlight passing switch)...
Without actually pulling enough to engage the brake,.. flick the lever 3 times to flash your brakelight,.. then increase pressure to slow...
This is a good attention getter...

If people don't see the transition from running light to brakelight,.. they may not notice that the brake is applied......

I do this routinely...

YES!!!

I do that often....

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #12 - 08/13/13 at 10:08:16

I wonder what's wrong with my brake light, I have tried doing the flash thing but my brakes are applied long before my light comes on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/13/13 at 10:34:43

greenmonster wrote on 08/13/13 at 10:08:16:
I wonder what's wrong with my brake light, I have tried doing the flash thing but my brakes are applied long before my light comes on.

I am not sure if the switch can be adjusted - but I believe the plunger comes out as the brake is applied.  If you want the light to come on sooner - you need to adjust the plunger so it comes out sooner either by adjusting it......or sanding or filing a bit of the plunger off if you can.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #14 - 08/13/13 at 13:25:25

I'm going to have to check and take a closer look at what I can adjust.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:35:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PSA  - Front brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.