Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Meteor shower hits Earth next week (Read 118 times)
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Meteor shower hits Earth next week
08/09/13 at 11:50:35

Meteor shower as Earth hits belt of comet debris next week

Stargazers will be treated to a spectacular fireball show early next week when Earth hits a belt of comet debris known as the Perseids, astronomers say.

The annual Perseid meteor shower, dubbed "the tears of St Lawrence" in honor of a martyred Christian saint, should peak in the wee hours of Monday and Tuesday with between 60 and 100 shooting stars per hour.

They will be visible over most of the world, but most clearly in the northern hemisphere, aided by an early-setting crescent Moon leaving a dark canvas for the celestial fireworks.

Cloudless skies permitting, the best viewing time will be the hours just before dawn on Monday and Tuesday, the head of US space agency NASA's meteoroid office, Bill Cooke, told AFP.

"Go outside, allow about 30-45 minutes for your eyes to dark adapt. Lie flat on your back (sleeping bag or lawn chair) and look straight up: take in as much of the sky as you can," he said by email.

"My experience is that most people who are disappointed viewing meteors go out for only a few minutes expecting to see something: this will work only for major outbursts not normal meteor showers. So be prepared to spend at least a couple of hours outside; don't expect to see many before midnight."

According to the European Space Agency, the Perseids are sand- to pea-sized bits of rocky debris ejected by the comet Swift-Tuttle, which is slowly disintegrating on its orbit around the Sun.

Over the centuries, its remains have spread along the comet's orbit to form a stream of particles hundreds of millions of kilometres long.

Earth's path around the Sun crosses the stream every mid-August.

The particles, called meteoroids, hit our planet's atmosphere at about 60 kilometres per second (37 miles per second) -- each igniting in a white-hot streak of superheated air.

According to Cooke, the Perseid showers produce more fireballs than any other.

They are named after the star constellation of Perseus from which they appear to spread out, and have been seen for about 2,000 years -- the earliest observations recorded in China.

St. Lawrence was an early Christian deacon tortured to death by the Romans in AD 258. His saint's day of August 10 coincides with the Perseids buildup.

According to legend, Laurentius was martyred on a iron grill over a fire, during which ordeal he is said to have quipped to his persecutors: "Turn me over. I'm done on this side!"

He is the patron saint of cooks.

http://mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.in/2013/08/meteor-shower-as-earth-hits-bel...

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Meteor shower hits Earth next week
Reply #1 - 08/09/13 at 12:35:29

I have sat outside in a lawn chair on several occasions waiting to see something cool.....and been sadly dissapointed.  The meteor shower events always seem to be duds when I make a point to watch.  Maybe I can be suckered into trying it one more time.  I reallly would like to see a good meteor shower.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/09/13 at 13:27:57

& how many million years this been goin on? Seems like they otta run out of tiny little things to make those red streaks in the sky one day,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 08/09/13 at 15:43:31

Several years ago I was a Cub Scout leader, and on a crisp clear night during a winter camp that was quite a ways from any towns or cities we marched 'em all out to a clearing, had them lay on their backs in the snow, and close their eyes while we counted off three minutes, then open them on cue. It blew them away to see ALL the stars, the milky way, and even a shooting star. I had never seen anything like it myself.
Even without the shooting stars it is a worthwhile thing to do, if you can get out to the boonies to do it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #4 - 08/09/13 at 17:02:23

No matter were you are, the best time frame is 1AM to 3Am. That is when your part of the planet turns into the path of the debris field left by a comet around 2000 years ago.

I have watched these August 12 and 13th showers many times.
It is best find someplace remote without light pollution and to lay on the ground or the hood of a large station wagon leaning against the windshield with a 6 pack of good beer (I have done this and it worked well).

« Last Edit: 08/10/13 at 05:09:36 by RatdogWillie »  

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 23:41:21

arteacher wrote on 08/09/13 at 15:43:31:
Several years ago I was a Cub Scout leader, and on a crisp clear night during a winter camp that was quite a ways from any towns or cities we marched 'em all out to a clearing, had them lay on their backs in the snow, and close their eyes while we counted off three minutes, then open them on cue. It blew them away to see ALL the stars, the milky way, and even a shooting star. I had never seen anything like it myself.
Even without the shooting stars it is a worthwhile thing to do, if you can get out to the boonies to do it.

I did something similar with my wife, when I was dating her. I'm from the country and there were only one or two pole lights near garages or barns in the area. I took her to the "back fourty", by the hand with her eyes closed. We walked about 500 yards back into a newly mown hayfield, with me leading and her holding her eyes closed.

I put down a blanket, had her lay down, then told her to open her eyes, she must have sucked in air for about 30 seconds and finally said, Oh my......that is soooo beautiful!   whats the hazey area going across the sky? I said: its the milkyway sweety.... she had never seen millions of stars before, only a handful or two.

I'm such a romantic.... LOL  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #6 - 08/10/13 at 09:20:56

Just wait a couple of months.  ISON is coming!  Could be spectacular.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 08/16/13 at 13:35:54

Out at my place in Nevada, there isn't a night goes by, (as long as it is cloudless) that I had not seen several meteors.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/16/13 at 13:56:17

Well, If you would act right, your wife would let ya in the HOUSE!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 08/16/13 at 14:03:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/16/13 at 13:56:17:
Well, If you would act right, your wife would let ya in the HOUSE!

ROFLMAO  Grin Grin Grin

That was a good one JOG.

Seriously though, my wife and I both sit out at night just watching the stars. It is great to see the night sky without all of the light pollution from a city.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/16/13 at 14:09:25

Im happy for ya man,, I watchewd you lose your truck & so many things went against you, but you kept on,, I hope you find peace, prosperity & God. Not in that order..

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 08/16/13 at 14:29:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/16/13 at 14:09:25:
Im happy for ya man,, I watchewd you lose your truck & so many things went against you, but you kept on,, I hope you find peace, prosperity & God. Not in that order..

Well, at the moment we are back in New Mexico to spend the winter and we will be returning to Nevada in the spring. I thank you for your well wishes.

But yep, a lot of things were going wrong for a while there I began to think I was living a country song.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/16/13 at 14:32:04

Yea, what happens if you play country music bakkerds?

The guy gets his house, dog, pickup & wife back!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/16/13 at 14:45:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/16/13 at 14:32:04:
Yea, what happens if you play country music bakkerds?

The guy gets his house, dog, pickup & wife back!

There must be a lot of unhappy cowboys.

how long have you been doing that to them?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/16/13 at 16:10:45

Looong time,, Im just mean that way,,,You otta see the ones whose moms come back from the dead.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Meteor shower hits Earth next week

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.