Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choices! (Read 297 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Re: New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choic
Reply #15 - 08/12/13 at 21:57:27

deejaysham wrote on 08/12/13 at 19:20:30:
Thanks again for all the input, guys.  Just following up.  I've been to every dealer in town and sat on just about every Rebel, GZ250, TU250x, V Star 250, S40, and even a few Shadows too.

- The TU250X won't fly with CA emissions so it's out.
- The Rebel boxes really do suck for the leg comfort
- The GZ250 is widely considered ultra-low performance even among 250s so it's out.
- The V Star just feels annoyingly cramped in such a way that I find myself wanting to avoid using the rear break and that's not a good ergonomic habit to develop.

Bottom line... every time I sat on a S40 it just felt right.  And now one has come up for sale via private owner that is low mileage, low price, and a no brainer.

I'll be checking it out later this week and likely bringing it home.  Can't wait to be an official member of the club!

When I went to look at my bike I had doubts coming from my Daytona. But when I saw it it was like  Smiley. Then when I sat on it.. Cheesy. (Until I almost laid it down on my way home the day I bought it lol). Hope it all works out!

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #16 - 08/12/13 at 23:30:50

ylwf3vr wrote on 08/12/13 at 21:57:27:
When I went to look at my bike I had doubts coming from my Daytona. But when I saw it it was like  Smiley. Then when I sat on it.. Cheesy. (Until I almost laid it down on my way home the day I bought it lol). Hope it all works out!

Pre-buying paranoia... What happened when you almost laid it down?!  Too much bike for you?!  Or was it just switching from the Daytona to a cruiser style?

My only lingering reservation with the S40 is the displacement but nearly everything I read says that the 652cc single cylinder is about the friendliest 650cc class bike you could start on.  When people debate starting on 650 vs 250 bikes they often talk about Ninja 250 vs. other 650 sport bikes and my impression is that the S40 650 has less noob-startling power in it than even a Ninja 250, given the way the torque and HP is.

Hope I'm right.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #17 - 08/13/13 at 04:48:18

love the little tu250.  rode that in my msf class and then found a savage for $2k.  just couldn't find a tu250 in my market....

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/13/13 at 04:56:22

I'm new to the Savage and fairly new to bikes in general. My first bike that I learnt to ride on is a Suzuki Bandit 250GSF and I still own it.

Comparing the two in my opinion,..  the Bandit 250 is faster, at 45hp and 6 speeds, I think it out guns and out handles the bigger engined Savage. It even keeps up with my friends Ducati Monster 400 no problem.

But the Savage is much easier to ride I think, more relaxing and forgiving. I bought a Savage because it seems like one of the cheapest most modifiable bike around. I wanted a bike to cut up and and tinker with and make my own without spending a fortune.

All depends on what you want in a bike.

Now I'm not wanting to upset any Savage owners, but from what I've learned so far, if my goal was a reliable bike which is fast enough in standard form to keep me entertained without having to learn to turn spanners in the weekend. A Savage wouldn't be the bike.

My 2 cents.  Cheesy

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 08/13/13 at 06:25:51

Quote:
- The GZ250 is widely considered ultra-low performance even among 250s so it's out

I didn't know that. Of course the one I rode in the MSF class never got past second gear.

I think the real beauty of the Savage is that it's just so doggone easy to ride. It's just a friendly, unintimidating motorcycle with adequate performance for almost all the things I use a motorcycle for.

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #20 - 08/13/13 at 07:44:56

deejaysham wrote on 08/12/13 at 23:30:50:
ylwf3vr wrote on 08/12/13 at 21:57:27:

Pre-buying paranoia... What happened when you almost laid it down?!  Too much bike for you?!  Or was it just switching from the Daytona to a cruiser style?

Yep just the transition from Daytona. And also the fact that I hadn't ridden for 2 years before this one. But after about 10 min I was good to go lol

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #21 - 08/14/13 at 10:24:37

Adding my $0.02...my first (and current) bike is my 98 Savage...absolutely love it. Bought it from a friend used for $650!! It was missing a few pieces so I fixed it up and its a fully functioning Savage.

Never once have I questioned it. Does great on the highway and piddles around town well.

To compare, my brother left his '11 Ninja 250 at the house and I have ridden that a few times and prefer my Savage over the Ninja by a huge margin...The 250 just doesn't give me enough power to feel safe and I'm not a big guy so...take it for what its worth.

I'd get the Savage, smooth bike, decent handling, and of course...she's purdy!!

To each their own, get the one you like and are comfortable sitting on!

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #22 - 08/14/13 at 22:23:34

Well I did it.  I bought a 2009 S40 today and I love it!

I got it for a decent price - which will give me some budget left over to get it painted something other than the candy red (more pink than red).  But that's later on... first I RIDE!!!

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #23 - 08/14/13 at 22:58:20

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good 250 for a low price - you ride it for 6 months you can resell it for the same as you paid for it.

But ultimately the S40 is better - size and weight is a little more than a 250 but power is a lot more.

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:20:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choices!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.