Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choices! (Read 297 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choices!
08/08/13 at 19:40:49

I'm currently trying to decide between a 2013 Suzuki S40 Boulevard new from the dealer, a 1999 GS 250 from craigslist, or a 2013 TU250X for my first bike.  I have issues with all of them for various reasons:

1.) The S40 is my ideal.  It's gorgeous, comfortable, and will travel on the highway without maxing out its potential and leaving me without passing power.  However it's the most expensive option.  So there's that... It's not outrageously expensive.  Just more than the other options.

2.) The GS250 I saw on Craigslist is basically the same bike I rode in my MSF class.  I liked it.  It was a tad bit cramped but not too bad.  This one listed is from 1999 so I worry about the age but it's only asking 1500 so it'd dirt cheap.  I don't want my first bike to be a lemon that gives me endless problems, however.

3.) The TU250X is what I probably would have bought already if California didn't outlaw it.  But I'm wondering if it could still be in the running via the CA DMV 7500 mile loophole.  I'm living Colorado currently but moving back to California in the Fall.  If I bought it here and registered it here, could I just keep it registered in CO until I've racked up 7500 miles on the bike and then register it in CA? (that's when CA will register a used vehicle even if it doesn't meet their emission standards for new vehicles)

I'd love any advice or thoughts people have here.  I've been enjoying this forum very much while I've been shopping.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choic
Reply #1 - 08/08/13 at 19:50:32

I can only say "if I were you"...

I'd go for little GS250... put some miles on it... learn from it,... and watch for a good deal to pop up on a clean, low mile Savage...
It's hard to lose money on a $1500 bike... and you'll learn some valuable lessons in your first 6 months riding...

You're still welcome here... all you have to do, is like Savage's...  Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - 08/08/13 at 20:19:09

Serowbot wrote on 08/08/13 at 19:50:32:
I can only say "if I were you"...

I'd go for little GS250... put some miles on it... learn from it,... and watch for a good deal to pop up on a clean, low mile Savage...
It's hard to lose money on a $1500 bike... and you'll learn some valuable lessons in your first 6 months riding...

You're still welcome here... all you have to do, is like Savage's...  Smiley...

I agree as well.  Me and my buddy both started out with Ninja 250s.  Got lessons learned and moved up to 600 and 750s.  Some say you'll get bored/tired of 250 fast, so you should just start at 500/600s.  Either way, riding is riding!  Go with something you'll wake up and say "man I want to ride!".. not "man how can I get rid of this.."   Grin

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 08/08/13 at 20:45:56

I started on a Rebel, many can be had cheap, as they have been around a long time. Just one more option  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - 08/09/13 at 06:03:41

I rode the Yamaha Vstar 250, the GZ 250 and the Honda Rebel the Yamaha was by far the best of the 3, and the Honda coming in close second.  The GZ just didn't have enough power to pull my big butt around and the Honda has these side covers that cut into your inner thighs.  The Yamaha is also the more expensive, in the end I went with the Savage I picked mine up for $700.00 it was in great mechanical shape but looks ugly as sin, but I knew when I got it that it was going to be a beater until I got my experience level back up and then i would get the one that i really want a Triumph T100.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 06:19:41

deejaysham wrote on 08/08/13 at 19:40:49:
3.) The TU250X is what I probably would have bought already if California didn't outlaw it...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm Quote:
The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here...

Exemptions

There are a few exemptions included in the law. As a California resident you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if it was:
• Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
 Buy a PoS currently registered Californian bike, trailer it to a Suzuki dealer in Arizona, get a new TU250 to replace a bike that is not "inoperative beyond reasonable repair."   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/09/13 at 06:25:02

It is hard for us to make a solid, sensible recommendation when we don't know your size, type of riding, etc.  If you are going to be riding on the 65-70 mph highways......a 250 is not going to be the right choice.

In the Cincinnati, Ohio area you have a lot of bikes available and a huge selection on Craigslist....you could get a good deal on any bike you want if you watch and wait for the right one.  Beater Savages are $ 1,500, nice ones are $ 2,500, and like new ones are $ 3,500 - $4,000.  The Ninja 250 bikes are plentiful and there are many abused ones and some that are very nice for $ 2,000 and up.

If you are in a rural Colorado area.....you may not have nearly as good of a selection.  You might consider looking at Craigslist in other areas and travel to get a good bike.  Craigslist actively goes after anyone that sets up a way to search engines that can look at more than one local place at a time.....but I am told this one works.

Google "TEMPEST CRAIGSLIST"
Main Page, Type in your Zip, item you are looking for, hit seach, then bookmark.

I bought my 2007 Suzuki Savage with 262 miles on it for $ 2,650, and I had to drive from Kentucky to New York City to get it......but it was in great shape and better than the choices I had in Cincinnati.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 08/09/13 at 06:39:47

I'll chime in just for another voice. I, too, started out on a Rebel. Only had it for about a year (so 6-8 months of riding) before selling it. I sold it for a different styled bike (wanted a cafe...only to end up with another cruiser later on, a Savage) But, I loved it and thankful I had it as my first motorcycle. I feel like it was a super easy bike to learn on because of its smaller size. I am a skinny guy, though. Depending on your size, and how far you are traveling at high speeds, a bigger bike might be better for you. The reasons I liked the Rebel so much was its reliability, super easy and forgiving control and its super light weight. Also, it got great gas mileage. I think it was around 60 or so. If I didn't have a passenger and didn't have to go too far at 70+mph the Rebel would be an awesome bike to have. And they're cheap used. That being said, almost everything I just mentioned can be had in the Suzuki Savage. It has a little more weight, some more power and is just a touch bigger. At 6' I was just a little cramped on the Rebel, where the Savage gives me that little extra room. As mentioned already, you can find Savages for around $2000 used. So, if that was your ideal, I would just keep searching for one at a price you like.

Good luck! Hope you're riding soon  Cool

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 08/09/13 at 06:55:24

Is the bike you saw on craigslist a GS250 or a GZ250. Two different bikes. GS is a twin the GZ is a single. I don't know anything about the GS( not sure they still made them in 99 though) but I rode a GZ in my MSF class and it felt very similar to a Savage, just a bit smaller and with less power.

The TU is a pretty small bike. If you're cramped on the GZ I think you would find it to be too small.

If you have to choose between the three you mentioned, and money is a consideration, my advice would be to go with the GZ and keep looking for a good deal on the Savage you really want. Otherwise just go straight to the Savage.

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #9 - 08/09/13 at 07:07:00

Yeah, the listing says GS250 but from the picture it's a GZ250.  I'm going to check it out today and if it can be had for 1200 or 1250 it might be hard to say no to.  The S40 would be about 6500 from the dealer after all add-on fees and taxes, and as a learner bike I probably don't need to put the extra 5k into it... especially if I'm going to drop it or lay it down early on.

Thanks to everyone so far for the input.  It's definitely helping refine my thinking on this!

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 08/09/13 at 08:53:14

If the S40 is what you really want, buy an older one for comparable money as the others you are looking at. I wanted one and just waited until I found one in my price range. Most people will quickly tire of a 250 unless it is strictly used in the city.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 08/09/13 at 09:04:31

I had a GZ250 for about a year when I was in Illinois. It was good for in town traffic of 45mph and under, but was NOT for riding on the highway. It was hard pressed to do 55mph and I weigh in the 145-165lbs range. I had if for one year and passed it on to a young guy I was working with who had seen me riding to work everyday on it and wanted to learn how to ride, he now has a 1100 shadow.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/09/13 at 09:11:05

A used Savage IS a beginner bike. Or a stay in the game after injury or age forces you off heavier bikes type bike. It is the same dimensions as older 250s, handles the same as older 250/350 bikes, has just enough quirks to keep it interesting... And is THE least stolen bike in the USA, so insurance is as low or lower than many 250s.

Get a cheap one that needs some cosmetic work, ride it until you are comfortable, then replace it with a newer one or cut it up and make it yours. Look through some of the custom builds on our site, many highly modified D.I.Y. and components kits builds. We have them ranging from cafe racers to full on track styles, barhoppers to touring baggers, even a few flat track and dual sport conversions.

The Savage/S40 is THE best bargain basement, get your hands dirty, cut it up or crash it bike on the market. Just keep in mind, once you modify it, you can't GIVE them away...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 08/09/13 at 11:10:48

LOL Grin Ain't that the truth! once you modify any bike, it then becomes a "I like it" "I hate it" sale. If someone likes it they will buy it, if they hate it, you will have it till the end of time and won't be able to give it away!

I agree tho, I think of all the bikes I've had, the savage is truly a diverse machine. The frame work is so simple you can adapt it to almost any style of bike, or just leave it be and fix the few quirks it has and ride it till the engine gives out, fix the engine and ride it till it quits again.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #14 - 08/12/13 at 19:20:30

Thanks again for all the input, guys.  Just following up.  I've been to every dealer in town and sat on just about every Rebel, GZ250, TU250x, V Star 250, S40, and even a few Shadows too.

- The TU250X won't fly with CA emissions so it's out.
- The Rebel boxes really do suck for the leg comfort
- The GZ250 is widely considered ultra-low performance even among 250s so it's out.
- The V Star just feels annoyingly cramped in such a way that I find myself wanting to avoid using the rear break and that's not a good ergonomic habit to develop.

Bottom line... every time I sat on a S40 it just felt right.  And now one has come up for sale via private owner that is low mileage, low price, and a no brainer.

I'll be checking it out later this week and likely bringing it home.  Can't wait to be an official member of the club!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New, Used, or Illegal first bike... such choices!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.