Valve job (Read 201 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Valve job
08/08/13 at 00:38:17

OK, so let's assume I am ready for the next winter project... a valve job.

As we all know, the Savage head is a 4 valve head... too bad for the undersize valves...  Embarrassed

So... I would like to ask "those in the know"  Wink what size / code valves are the Savage's stock valves,
and how much wider can we grind the valve head seats ?

I honestly see little point in fitting a "hot" cam on... "cold" valves...  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve job
Reply #1 - 08/08/13 at 03:42:58

From what I saw when I was in there.......there is little reason to put in bigger valves as the exhaust ports are very limited in what can be done.  There is a weird square hump that protrudes down into the exhuast port, and it is the bottom of the valve spring pocket.

You can open up the ring at the exit of the exhaust port, clean up the castings a bit in the ports, and button everything up.

I don't konw of anyone that makes a "hot" cam for this bike - the 3 available cam grinds are all increasing stages of "mildness".  The Stage 1 cam is what I installed and it runs great and does provide a power boost.  The Stage 2 cam is a bit hotter but still not a race cam and is very streetable.  The Stage 3 cam is between the Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Do your valves, add a cam, put in a Wiseco, change the carb to a Mikuni VM36, add a free flowing exhaust.....and you have all the motor that the clutch, chassis and brakes can handle.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 08/08/13 at 04:50:05

Hi Dave, thanks for the input.

I have a Stage3 cam from lancer - but I will not put that in until I can have a proper head...  Huh valve job  Wink

I have two carbs on hand, one is the OEM carb wghich was cleaned up and tuned courtesy of Lancer  Cool
the other is a Mikuni BST40 also "hmmm'd" "oooh'd"and "aaah'd" by Lancer  Wink

I have a 5"dia x 2" thick K&N air filter with 2" dia. plumbing to the carb, already running. A little hesitation when cold under 3000 rpm, but once warm it's a beauty.

The point is the engine will rev and pull like a banshee from 3000 to 5000.
I believe she (and I) is entitled to revving to 6000 - if not a little more.
Also, I can scrape the pegs and keep up with the 300-400cc scooters, but Silverwings and TMaxes...  Tongue

Still... overtaking WideGlide Harleys on the outside and revving away ... priceless !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/08/13 at 04:51:34

DR650 available cam profiles listed on the WebCam site are considerably higher than what we have now, but then the DR exhaust ports a MUCH nicer that ours.  Valve sizes are the same.  This is for the 90-95 models.

Lift:  .390/.380
Duration @ 0.050":  248/248

Lift:  .417/.405
Duration @ 0.050":  254/254

Numbers for the LS650

CAMSHAFT                           VALVE LIFT IN/EX                          DURATION @ .050

Stock camshaft                       .254/.244                                          224
Webcam std.                          .256/.256                                          226
Stage 1                                      .264/.264                                                 239
Stage 2                                      .274/.274                                                 248
Stage 3                                      .273/.273                                                 238

Effects of duration:
220-235  =>  Low End Torque
235-250  =>  Midrange Torque
260 +       =>  Top End Power

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 08/08/13 at 04:55:21

Hello Lancer, thanks for the info !

Does this mean I can/ should  leave  the valves as is, and only work on intake/exhaust ports?
(and fit your cam, natch... Wink)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/08/13 at 05:04:35

My engine has a Stage 1 cam, Wiseco 95mm, Mikuni VM36....and it easily revs over 6500.  My Trailtech Vapor claimed that once I did 7,200 rpm.

I found that my stock carb had a flat spot as you are describing, and the cure for me was to raise the slide needle a bit.  I had removed the white spacer and installed 3 of the metal washers.  I tried bumping up the pilot jet to cure the lean spot....but it did not help.  I had an oxygen sensor and meter installed, and the trick was to remove one of the washers to allow the needle to be raised, then I dropped the pilot jet back down to a #50.  It then ran great with a #50 pilot, #150 main and 2 washers on the needle instead of the white spacer.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 08/08/13 at 05:17:30

Dave wrote on 08/08/13 at 05:04:35:
My engine has a Stage 1 cam, Wiseco 95mm, Mikuni VM36....and it easily revs over 6500.  My Trailtech Vapor claimed that once I did 7,200 rpm.

I found that my stock carb had a flat spot as you are describing, and the cure for me was to raise the slide needle a bit.  I had removed the white spacer and installed 3 of the metal washers.  I tried bumping up the pilot jet to cure the lean spot....but it did not help.  I had an oxygen sensor and meter installed, and the trick was to remove one of the washers to allow the needle to be raised, then I dropped the pilot jet back down to a #50.  It then ran great with a #50 pilot, #150 main and 2 washers on the needle instead of the white spacer.  

Shocked ... which is exactly what I had in mind ...

I will consider the "2 washers on the needle" and verify I have a #50 pilot; I'm quite happy with my main (I think it could actually be a #147.5 ...)

Cool Thank you !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/08/13 at 08:29:14

mpescatori wrote on 08/08/13 at 04:55:21:
Hello Lancer, thanks for the info !

Does this mean I can/ should  leave  the valves as is, and only work on intake/exhaust ports?
(and fit your cam, natch... Wink)

The valves themselves...yes, leave as is; unless the engine has a good bit of mileage on it, and if so, then a good basic valve job to insure proper sealing is all that is needed.
I do like to clean up the exhaust ports, but thats just me.  The crocked path and the exit ring that Suzuki deliberately designed to make this a low power engine just really bothers me.  I think they simply did not want another 650 single engine to interfere with the DR's role in their lineup.
The intake ports don't need any work, they are good as is.
If you want to get picky about though there is one thing that can be done that is considered to be helpful in improving air flow, and that is to polish the inside corner just under the valve seats.  As the air flows in through the intake ports, it turns upward toward the valves, and it is the inside corner of that path which is polished.  Along with & part of that path is the bottom edge of the valve seat.  If that edge is not smooth with the aluminum of the port wall, then mechanical smoothing of it will remove that small "speed bump" from the air pathway and should result in better flow.

When doing head work I use "touch" as a guide to what needs to be smoothed.  There are the basics, like doing the inside corners, but from there I feel my way through and if I feel something in the way then it is removed or smoothed.  These are the small things that interfere with flow; the big things, like the outer ring, just need to go.
It's like on a fighter aircraft; they originally had standard raised rivets until it was discovered that flush rivets reduced drag and allowed the aircraft to perform better.  Airflow is airflow.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 08/08/13 at 12:36:42

Bike builder Dave Degens claims smaller valves produce more power at the rear wheel.
His story is about half way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy95JWtWNbE

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 08/08/13 at 15:54:39

I'm thinking about smoothing out the exhaust port for some time. But I want to keep the stock header. Would that do any good or would it even do harm?

« Last Edit: 08/08/13 at 17:52:05 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/08/13 at 17:53:53

ralfyguy wrote on 08/08/13 at 15:54:39:
I'm thinking about smoothing out the exhaust port for some time. But I want to keep the stock header. Would that do any good or would it even do harm?

I am using the stock header and I have made a lot of modifications....one of which was doing some porting work that included reducing the size of that ring.  Removing the ring alone won't make a big difference.....but taking a bit of it out won't hurt anything.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/08/13 at 18:28:28

Dave wrote on 08/08/13 at 17:53:53:
ralfyguy wrote on 08/08/13 at 15:54:39:

I am using the stock header and I have made a lot of modifications....one of which was doing some porting work that included reducing the size of that ring.  Removing the ring alone won't make a big difference.....but taking a bit of it out won't hurt anything.

Dave you need to get rid of the stock header. It will sound so much better. That was my first mod and noticed more power.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/09/13 at 04:53:16

I plan on making a 1.5" diameter header next winter.  Last winter was the Cafe' conversion and it had to be done before the riding season.  This winter will be the paint, front fender, and maybe the new stainless header.

IP Logged
Dancomer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/09/13 at 13:34:57

very interesting information here, i have alot to think about

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/09/13 at 16:26:10

Spend some time reading about intake manifold texture. POlished, low turbulence, supposedly allows the fuel to fall out of the mix,
Matching port sizes where trhings bolt up is a good deal, but, when rubber tubes on stobs are part of the game, its not really possible.
Maybe smoothing /tapering the ID of the intake manifold where the rubber goes on would help keep the velocity up, but a polished intake on a carbureted engine may not be best.
Exhaust? Smooth away,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve job

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.